Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Music (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/)
-   -   Type of music in the Town Squares (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/type-music-town-squares-301705/)

LiverpoolWalrus 01-13-2020 08:05 PM

Type of music in the Town Squares

I'm looking forward to my move to the Villages in a couple of weeks. When I visited the Villages in the past, I always made it a point to listen to the live music on the squares. I think I've been to all three of them at least twice. I was wondering how varied the music and performers get. For instance, is reggae ever featured? How about prog or "art rock" - you know, music like Yes, Genesis, Emerson Lake & Palmer, etc.?

I've noticed the shows seem to find the lowest common denominator. The performers play the biggest smash hits of the '60s and '70s that can't possibly fail to please the majority of the crowd. Either that or R&B/disco that gets people dancing.

I have nothing against any type of music. I love it all (heck, I'll even admit to liking the Carpenters). But I'm curious to hear from the regular attendees if they ever mix up the music...or is it all Brown Eyed Girl and Stand By Me all the time every night at every square? (Exaggerating of course to make the point. :):):))

ColdNoMore 01-13-2020 09:10 PM

I heard a rumor, that coming to the LSL square in the near future...are Jay-Z and Beyoncé.

They're being paid by the new Costco...going up on 44.

:D

Bogie Shooter 01-13-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1709555)
I heard a rumor, that coming to the LSL square in the near future...are Jay-Z and Beyoncé.

They're being paid by the new Costco...going up on 44.

You bad.:1rotfl:

Chi-Town 01-13-2020 09:29 PM

Some of the groups are repetitious and need new material. It's nice to hear some of the newer groups venture out of the comfort zone with some Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Duran Duran, and The Human League. The fact that bands are doing 80's renditions is a large time leap forward. And It is also nice that there is a mix of groups and genres to choose from.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ColdNoMore 01-13-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogie shooter (Post 1709560)
You bad.:1rotfl:

:duck:

John_W 01-13-2020 09:32 PM

Best rock band at the squares, the Hooligans from Orlando. All Brit rock from Clash to the Cure.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...39&oe=5EA8E040

The same guys, but now they're the Spazmatics. 80's rock from Whip It to Rebel Yell.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...26&oe=5E94EC61

ColdNoMore 01-13-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1709568)
Some of the groups are repetitious and need new material. It's nice to hear some of the newer groups venture out of the comfort zone with some Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Duran Duran, and The Human League. The fact that bands are doing 80's renditions is a large time leap forward. And It is also nice that there is a mix of groups and genres to choose from.

That might actually be popular here. :D

John_W 01-13-2020 09:49 PM

The best video of FGTH is their appearance in the Brian DiPalma film "Body Double".

FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD - Relax (Body Double Version) - YouTube

LiverpoolWalrus 01-13-2020 10:23 PM

What?!? A band that does punk and post-punk like the Clash and the Cure playing to Villagers? Wow. Looking back at the audiences I saw when I visited the squares, I just can't wrap my brain around this one. But I'm not complainin'! When I asked about reggae and prog above, I had punk/new wave in the back of my mind, but never ever would have thought it would go over in the Villages. Not yet anyway. The Cure's Disintegration album is my second favorite album of all time (after the Beatles White Album). I will be checking out the Hooligans for sure! Thanks John!

The Cure - "Disintegration" | Live at Sydney Opera House - YouTube

Mmarr 01-14-2020 05:31 AM

🤪🤪

MarkGoldberg 01-14-2020 06:08 AM

They are moving more towards 80’s and 90’s music. There is a great Rockabilly band, Sherry and the Rockefellas, that plays often.

stewiegal 01-14-2020 07:16 AM

Music on campus

Get the paper everyday. Find a group you like. Follow them on FB or website. Google raggae bands near The Villages

Best Reggae Bands in The Villages, FL

Check Katie Belles. Many groups or individuals send out emails and some also play outside of the bubble. Check out Orange Blossom Opry in Lake Weir. You'll be so busy and figure it out when you're here. Welcome home.

Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com 01-14-2020 07:30 AM

Now that is funny!!!!!

gadgetmonster 01-14-2020 07:48 AM

I look forward to seeing the music move forward. All types. All good. Mixing the music styles around will not please everybody but will probably please most. Eurythmics, Police, Journey, Duran Duran, INXS, B52's, Randy Travis, Dwight Yoakam, Reba McEntire, Bob Marley, Yellowman, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. I'm 62 so I may still be wet behind the ears... but I like late 70's, 80's and 90's as well as some newer dance like Deadmau5. I think mixing it will bring more people out. I know if a band is playing just 50's/60's I am less likely to come out. My 2cents.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 01-14-2020 07:57 AM

The music is mostly the same with a few exceptions here and there. It's mostly about dancing and especially line dancing. Unfortunately we also have a several DJs and professional karaoke singers. Contrary to what you think, this does satisfy the majority of the people. Most people want to dance and, especially the line dancers, could care less about what is being player as long as there is a bass drum pounding out quarter notes. You also have to remembers that the current demographic of The Villages puts their favorite music smack dab in the middle of the sixties. I actually have no problem with that but people like you that want to hear Duran Duran and other such music are going to be disappointed. I believe that the 70's and 80s music will slowly become more popular here over the next twenty years, but right now it's fifites and sixties.