Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Cat Owners Responsibility (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/cat-owners-responsibility-301713/)

OrangeBlossomBaby 01-13-2020 10:12 PM

Cat Owners Responsibility

Keep your damned cats in your house, or on a leash.

To someone who lives somewhere in the general vicinity of my neighborhood:

Your cat came by my house, through my yard, and approached the open window (with a screen) to my office. That is where MY cat sits, inside, on her perch so she can watch the world go by and chill out.

Thanks to YOUR cat, my window screen is now ruined and we have to buy a new one. We will also never be able to keep that window open again, for as long as I have this cat. The single window in my office, where I do my computing and watch movies while hubby is watching TV in the other room.

Now I'm going to have to worry about this creature showing up outside the lanai when my cat is out there, or in the bedroom when she's sitting on the bureau in front of the window there.

If I see this cat again, I will report it to the police, and the local animal shelter. And if I find out whose cat it is, I'll be having a discussion about the cost to replace my screen.

karostay 01-14-2020 08:08 AM

Lots of feral cats in the Villages

villagetinker 01-14-2020 09:02 AM

OP, contact the local SPCA (etc.) for a humane trap, hopefully you can trap the offending cat, take it to the local authorities, if the cat is chipped they will find the owner, if not it will probably go to s shelter. There is a very active cat club in the area that will probably correct me, but they will also have much more information and suggestions. As for your screen, there is a product called PET SCREEN which is used in lanais and birdcages (we have it in ours). This is a heavy duty screen product that greatly resists cats claws. It might be possible to have that installed on your screen (use the old frame, new Pet screen material and the correct size spline.

Number 10 GI 01-14-2020 09:43 AM

Which cat tore up the screen?

OrangeBlossomBaby 01-14-2020 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 GI (Post 1709688)
Which cat tore up the screen?

Mine. She was apparently defending herself. I was at work. Hubby reported he heard a crash, he jumped up to see what was going on and our cat jetted out of my room to the living room, hopped on the cat perch there with ears back, eyes fully dilated, hissing (something I have NEVER heard her do in the 3 years we've had her). Then she leapt off the perch and rushed to the lanai, growling and pacing around.

Hubby went outside to see what was out there and saw nothing (this was at night). Came back in. One of my cat's claws was a little ragged from being stuck on the screen but she was otherwise unscathed.

We've had birds in the yard, the big white ones, and she never went off like that. She isn't aggressive against dogs, just other cats.

The only other possibility would be if one of the owls in the neighborhood just happened to be flying very low, between our neighbor's house and mine, and just happened to be going slow enough to happen to notice that my cat was sleeping on her perch in front of the window, under the metal thing that hangs over to keep the rain out. I find this very unlikely.

And I know there is at least one cat who roams the neighborhood because its owner thinks that's a good idea. It has a collar so I know it's not feral.

mixsonci 01-14-2020 10:30 AM

Could possibly have been a bobcat or whatever they call the big cats, coyotes in this area

Barefoot 01-14-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1709703)
Mine. She was apparently defending herself. The only other possibility would be if one of the owls in the neighborhood just happened to be flying very low, between our neighbor's house and mine, and just happened to be going slow enough to happen to notice that my cat was sleeping on her perch in front of the window, under the metal thing that hangs over to keep the rain out.

IMHO, I think you should be sure it's not an owl before you talk to neighbors.

OrangeBlossomBaby 01-14-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1709580)

<snip>

If I see this cat again, I will report it to the police, and the local animal shelter. And if I find out whose cat it is, I'll be having a discussion about the cost to replace my screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1709725)
IMHO, I think you should be sure it's not an owl before you talk to neighbors.

If this happens again we'll know, through experience, to check more thoroughly. It's the first time this happened and we were not prepared to deal with it at the time.

Regardless of whether it was the cat I've seen in the past or not...the point still stands.

Keep your cats inside your home, or on a leash. PETS (not ferals, not bobcats, not wild birds) do not belong on other peoples' property without the homeowner's explicit permission. If you can't control your pet, then don't have one.

Even if my cat doesn't tear up the screen defending against your cat, or if it turned out to be an owl...even if those things are true...

keep your cat inside your home, or on a leash.

Bogie Shooter 01-14-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Your cat came by my house, through my yard, and approached the open window (with a screen) to my office. That is where MY cat sits, inside, on her perch so she can watch the world go by and chill out.

Thanks to YOUR cat, my window screen is now ruined and we have to buy a new one. We will also never be able to keep that window open again, for as long as I have this cat. The single window in my office, where I do my computing and watch movies while hubby is watching TV in the other room.

Now I'm going to have to worry about this creature showing up outside the lanai when my cat is out there, or in the bedroom when she's sitting on the bureau in front of the window there.

What can the police do?

dewilson58 01-14-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1709767)
What can the police do?

Be on the look out for cat burglars.

Heretoday 01-14-2020 02:10 PM

Get sonic high frequency sound alarms for yard..keeps out animals

Barefoot 01-14-2020 05:58 PM

Lindsyburnsy 01-15-2020 06:01 AM

Lost Cat

Quote:

Someone in Katherine Place has been calling their cat "Georgia" since the 1st of 2nd of January. Maybe the cat is lost and hungry? In any case, the information about the lost cat is posted at the postal building at Carolina.

J1ceasar 01-15-2020 06:30 AM

Love your quote to save one dog

karostay 01-15-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1709767)
What can the police do?

Cat Burglar:1rotfl: