Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Window replacement (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/window-replacement-301726/)

Heartnsoul 01-14-2020 10:47 AM

Window replacement

We purchased a 12 yr old home near sumter and these windows are the worst I have ever seen. I cannot open them from the bottom as lip is so tiny you cannot get a finger under it. Top is the same. We may have to replace all windows. Has anyone done this and what company would u recommend??

starflyte1 01-14-2020 01:58 PM

I am very interested in the suggestions that you get.

jebartle 01-14-2020 02:01 PM

352-267-3013. Ace Window has received 4.9 stars out of 30 reviews. Sounds good.

CWGUY 01-14-2020 03:00 PM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartnsoul (Post 1709723)
We purchased a 12 yr old home near sumter and these windows are the worst I have ever seen. I cannot open them from the bottom as lip is so tiny you cannot get a finger under it. Top is the same. We may have to replace all windows. Has anyone done this and what company would u recommend??

Did you read all the replies in the other thread you started last month? https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...roblem-300999/

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1709778)
352-267-3013. Ace Window has received 4.9 stars out of 30 reviews. Sounds good.

Their site states THEY DON"T DO WINDOW REPLACEMENT. :ho:

Heartnsoul 01-14-2020 03:45 PM

Yes. Read all threads but dont think anyone is hearing the problem. no sprays will work, etc... there is NO LIP to put ur hands under to lift , top or bottom. I am not strong. Dont know how any woman can get open on her own. 2 previous homes no problem but seems Duval, Mallory and Amelia have the cheaper ones. Ladies pls check and see if u can lift open. Looks like we have to spend over 8,000 so we can have decent windows

villagetinker 01-14-2020 10:03 PM

I have seen multiple ads on the Television for window replacements, you might try looking for reviews of these companies. No a word of caution, I tried this back of North, the companies I contacted all were doing the same type installation: cutout old window AT THE INSIDE WALL EDGE, install new window in the resulting opening (NOTE: the actual glass area will be several percent smaller since the new window is set into the FINISHED wall NOT the ROUGH opening, then install mullion on the outside of the house to cover any openings. I was not happy at all with this approach, and the several thousand dollar cost estimates. I did my own (stick house, aluminum siding) and by making small adjustments in the window size I was able to use STANDARD size windows, the result was a savings over over $5000.
I wish you luck on your quest.

Biker Dog 01-15-2020 03:36 AM

Window World of Ocala

Sandellew 01-15-2020 05:33 AM

I lived in Hadley in Keystone Villas and had the same problem. I struggled but got them all open using a towel to cushion and the sides of my fingers for leverage then sprayed with silicone spray to make them open easily - no more problem. If that doesn’t work check at ace hardware and see what tool they recommend - a tool that could grip window ledge and provide you more leverage to raise would work.

njpuiiajr 01-15-2020 05:53 AM

Some of the major window manufacturers such as Pelli and Anderson sell lift tabs that are screwed into the bottom rail to aid in lifting the sash. They are usually installed in pairs. Maybe this would give you enough of a grip to open your windows without replacing them.

cmeinel@verizon.net 01-15-2020 06:12 AM

I have lived in three new homes and the one I built myself. I had a architect design it and he specified Anderson windows. He told me is the only window he recommends. After having vinyl windows I. The subsequent house, I agree Anderson is the best and worth every cent !!

Jflood1274 01-15-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njpuiiajr (Post 1709881)
Some of the major window manufacturers such as Pelli and Anderson sell lift tabs that are screwed into the bottom rail to aid in lifting the sash. They are usually installed in pairs. Maybe this would give you enough of a grip to open your windows without replacing them.

:agree:
Search Amazon for this or similar.
"White Deluxe Window Sash Lift - Pair"
They are available in several styles and finishes.
"Bulk" packs are also available to "fix" multiple windows.

Heartnsoul 01-15-2020 09:14 AM

Do u know if an Anderson store nearby or I can google it? We already tried Lowes. They have nothing. Same at home depot. Today will try ace. If nothing we will head to store in ocala, window world

Bridget Staunton 01-15-2020 09:15 AM

Anderson windows

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmeinel@verizon.net (Post 1709884)
I have lived in three new homes and the one I built myself. I had a architect design it and he specified Anderson windows. He told me is the only window he recommends. After having vinyl windows I. The subsequent house, I agree Anderson is the best and worth every cent !!

Totally agree with you, built our own house too and the windows of our choice was Anderson

PugMom 01-15-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1709859)
I have seen multiple ads on the Television for window replacements, you might try looking for reviews of these companies. No a word of caution, I tried this back of North, the companies I contacted all were doing the same type installation: cutout old window AT THE INSIDE WALL EDGE, install new window in the resulting opening (NOTE: the actual glass area will be several percent smaller since the new window is set into the FINISHED wall NOT the ROUGH opening, then install mullion on the outside of the house to cover any openings. I was not happy at all with this approach, and the several thousand dollar cost estimates. I did my own (stick house, aluminum siding) and by making small adjustments in the window size I was able to use STANDARD size windows, the result was a savings over over $5000.
I wish you luck on your quest.

wow, we had the same issues in Ct before we came here. you speak wisely, it costs LOTS of $$ to correct because we couldnt do it ourselves. windows are fine in mc clure, so far so good

wmcgowan 01-15-2020 10:32 AM

1) keep the windows closed - it's too hot anyway

get a handyman service to come in and lube the window tracks with end dust. thats right - enddust - works great on sliding doors too!