Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   I Like Beer (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/i-like-beer-301770/)

JimJohnson 01-15-2020 12:59 PM

I Like Beer

Yes, I am a beer lover, but as I age, I am more concerned about calories, carbohydrates and the alcohol content.
I have been seeing commercials about a new beer called Michelob Ultra Pure Gold. Well, my thought were, yea right, another even lighter beer. My fellow beer lovers, this beer has 2.5 carbs, 85 cal and only 3.8% Alcohol By Volume.
Now, for the good part, it has the hearty flavor I look for in better beers with twice those statistics. Now I have finally found a beer that won’t be harmful that I like the taste of.

Chatbrat 01-15-2020 01:21 PM

Heineken has come out with a zero alcohol--I, don't drink beer but buy one & take a test drive

JimJohnson 01-15-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1709987)
Heineken has come out with a zero alcohol--I, don't drink beer but buy one & take a test drive

Good idea, but I do like a small relaxation buzz, without the ill effects of stronger alcohol.:ho:

retiredguy123 01-15-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJohnson (Post 1709984)
Yes, I am a beer lover, but as I age, I am more concerned about calories, carbohydrates and the alcohol content.
I have been seeing commercials about a new beer called Michelob Ultra Pure Gold. Well, my thought were, yea right, another even lighter beer. My fellow beer lovers, this beer has 2.5 carbs, 85 cal and only 3.8% Alcohol By Volume.
Now, for the good part, it has the hearty flavor I look for in better beers with twice those statistics. Now I have finally found a beer that won’t be harmful that I like the taste of.

It's not much different from Michelob Ultra, 95 calories, 2.6 carbs, and 4.2 percent alcohol. I often wonder if Michelob Ultra tried to copy Miller Lite, which has about same calories and alcohol content. Michelob is good, but I still prefer Miller Lite.

JimJohnson 01-15-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1709994)
It's not much different from Michelob Ultra, 95 calories, 2.6 carbs, and 4.2 percent alcohol. I often wonder if Michelob Ultra tried to copy Miller Lite, which has about same calories and alcohol content. Michelob is good, but I still prefer Miller Lite.

Possibly! This Pure Gold tastes more like a dark beer than does the original Ultra. Anyway, I like it and should be able to drink four without a hangover. As I said in the start, I like beer, but don’t want the I’ll effects of stronger Alcohol Content.:coolsmiley

New Englander 01-15-2020 04:34 PM

I like beer too. I switched from regular Budweiser to Bush Light. It's tastes pretty darn good and it's less expensive than many other brands.

vintageogauge 01-15-2020 05:09 PM

It's winter, time for white whiskey, brown shoes, and red meat.

Two Bills 01-15-2020 07:07 PM

Rather a half pint of good ale, than a pint of weak beer.

Heyitsrick 01-16-2020 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like beer, too, but have given up regular alcohol for a while. I had been drinking IPAs, so I wanted to find a non-alcohol IPA if such a thing existed. I got lucky - there's a brewing company called "Athletic" that makes a non-alcohol IPA that's pretty darn good for non-alcohol. It's called "Run Wild". They've got about 3 other NA beers, but this is the IPA style.

If you like IPAs and want to enjoy one without having to worry about the buzz, give it a shot. Only 70 calories.

elevatorman 01-16-2020 07:08 AM

Try Guinness 95 calories, 2.6g carbs, 4.2% ABV. Also look here The Best Low-Carb Beers You Can Drink on the Keto Diet | Health.com

crash 01-16-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1710045)
Rather a half pint of good ale, than a pint of weak beer.

Here Hear.

I like beers with flavor like brown ales porters and stouts.

Ultra has an amber version but still pretty tasteless

Joseph524 01-16-2020 08:22 AM

Brew Your Own

All of you beer lovers could brew your own beer. You can control flavor and alcohol content. There is a home brew club in The Villages. We have a Facebook page that we are starting up.

Go to The Villages Home Brewers Club - Home | Facebook

or email villageshombrewersclub@gmail.com

jacksonbrown 01-16-2020 08:25 AM

None of the popular lite beers are top rated, all have similar ABVs, carbs and calories, so why not buy whatever tastes good to you and is on sale. :beer3:

Top 250 Rated Beers | BeerAdvocate

Bleudeturquoise 01-16-2020 08:29 AM

Beer -

Just remember

"In heaven there is no beer"
"That's why we drink it here"

DeanFL 01-16-2020 08:47 AM

thanks for the tip. I tend to prefer a darker flavorful beer - fav is Sam Adams, but typically have Yuengling Black&Tan. I would like to limit cals&carbs, even with having only 1 bottle every day or so. I will try Michelob Ultra Pure Gold...better not taste like peewater JJ...