Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Road Construction (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/road-construction-301801/)

Gene Babb 01-16-2020 08:54 PM

Road Construction

Why in during the height of population would they want to tear up Buenos Vista and Morse Avenue for approximately six months and then close Canal Street for two weeks while the construction is on?

Why not wait for Canal Street construction to finish, then do a multi crew work on either Morse or Buenos Vista doing the construction on just one of the two major North /South Roads and when finished do the other?

This way one of the two will be wide open reducing the major traffic congestion during peak season. Better yet, why not wait till after March to do the work?

It appears as it is right now, we will have two major roads down to one lane and the best alternate shut down at the same time.

This is similar the the brainstorm of closing the Spanish Springs Theater during peak season rather than waiting.

anothersteve 01-16-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Babb (Post 1710220)
Why in during the height of population would they want to tear up Buenos Vista and Morse Avenue for approximately six months and then close Canal Street for two weeks while the construction is on?

Why not wait for Canal Street construction to finish, then do a multi crew work on either Morse or Buenos Vista doing the construction on just one of the two major North /South Roads and when finished do the other?

This way one of the two will be wide open reducing the major traffic congestion during peak season. Better yet, why not wait till after March to do the work?

It appears as it is right now, we will have two major roads down to one lane and the best alternate shut down at the same time.

This is similar the the brainstorm of closing the Spanish Springs Theater during peak season rather than waiting.

Just to mess with the snowbirds?
Steve

CWGUY 01-16-2020 09:02 PM

:ohdear: Add road repair to the LONG LIST of things Villagers want to be in charge of. :coolsmiley:

Chatbrat 01-16-2020 10:10 PM

remember the old song 16 tons, I owe my should to the company store, well the villages is the company store; but you don't owe your soul, you live here by choice, and you don't owe anyone anything

Bogie Shooter 01-17-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1710222)
:ohdear: Add road repair to the LONG LIST of things Villagers want to be in charge of. :coolsmiley:

:1rotfl::1rotfl:

mulligan 01-17-2020 07:51 AM

The sidewalk superintendents don't realize that they are avoiding the rainy season, thus keeping the grindings from the road out of the storm drains, and insuring the best possible bond between the layers of asphalt.

Two Bills 01-17-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1710271)
The sidewalk superintendents don't realize that they are avoiding the rainy season, thus keeping the grindings from the road out of the storm drains, and insuring the best possible bond between the layers of asphalt.

Please do not confuse the argument with answers or facts. Thank you.:icon_wink:

Velvet 01-17-2020 12:18 PM

Thank you for explaining about the rainy season, otherwise it did seem a bit stupid to do the construction during the peak season. But your reasoning makes sense.

Gene Babb 01-17-2020 12:23 PM

Rainy season does make sense... How about doing one road with multiple crews (quicker) than the other to provide a good alternate for Major North --South travel

Marathon Man 01-17-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Babb (Post 1710357)
Rainy season does make sense... How about doing one road with multiple crews (quicker) than the other to provide a good alternate for Major North --South travel

This seems like an important issue to you. Have you contacted the county to discuss it with them?

vintageogauge 01-17-2020 03:12 PM

I'll stay south of 466A for the season and get where I have to via 301 and some back roads. I really have no reason to go further north, if I need a hospital I'll go to Leesburg or the new Emergency center on 44 opening Feb. 3.

EdFNJ 01-17-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1710271)

Didn't they do the first half of the Morse BV project last summer during the rainy season? Sounds like a good logical reason but I think roadwork generally is able to deal with all kinds of weather. I think it's just called "bad timing." I don't think the comparatively light traffic on those roads will create major tie ups during construction. Your tax dollars at work! :D

JoMar 01-17-2020 07:50 PM

Could it also be impacted by the contractor's schedule....somehow I suspect they have other contracts, not only The Villages and if they are the contractor of choice then the customer works around their schedule also.

kcrazorbackfan 01-17-2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1710222)

And this place would look like "the projects" in most major cities in a hurry. :ohdear::ohdear:

villagetinker 01-17-2020 10:43 PM

Note: most of this work is done at night with minimal interference to the daytime traffic, Also, if I understand the sequence of the projects, BV will be starting in the North section while the Canal street work is being done, so NO interference, by the time they get to the section of BV between 466 and 466a Canal should be done and will be a suitable detour route.