Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   The Homestead Exemption (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/homestead-exemption-301839/)

jayerose 01-17-2020 06:15 PM

The Homestead Exemption

If I buy a home in Florida at the age of 62, would I be able to claim the Homestead Exemption when I turn 65?

CWGUY 01-17-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 1710416)
If I buy a home in Florida at the age of 62, would I be able to claim the Homestead Exemption when I turn 65?

:ohdear: Age has nothing to do with it. Go to the Property Appraisers Web Site for the county you're looking at and get all the info. you need. :ho:

dewilson58 01-17-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1710431)
:ohdear: Age has nothing to do with it. Go to the Property Appraisers Web Site for the county you're looking at and get all the info. you need. :ho:

Yepper

Fredman 01-17-2020 08:33 PM

No homestead exemption for snow birds

retiredguy123 01-17-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

You may be referring to the additional homestead exemption for low income people who are over 65. The regular homestead exemption is available to anyone at any age or income as long as they own the house on January 1, live in the house, and they are a Florida resident. But, there is an additional exemption, if they also are over 65 and have an income of less than about $30,000. This additional exemption must be applied for every year to verify the income requirement.

dewilson58 01-17-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1710451)
No homestead exemption for snow birds

Technically, not true.

sdeikenberry 01-18-2020 06:08 AM

Legally, you can only have the homestead exemption in FL if that is your only home anywhere that you claim a homestead exmp for, and if it's your primary residence, FYI. Age has nothing to do with it.

Sunflower33 01-18-2020 06:55 AM

You can get homestead exception at any age. The Florida home however must be your main place of residence. As soon as you close apply

Tuly914 01-18-2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

There is no age requirement for homestead. To qualify for homestead, you must make it your primary home. Regardless of how many homes you may own, you're only allowed one home exempt. You must live in that primary home for 6 months or more. As I recall, don't hold me to it, but I think you might need to change your address on your license with the primary address. When I applied for my homestead, I had to bring two pieces of utility bills in my name addressed to the primary address, my home deed for proof. And if you're on disability S.S., you can bring your Social security reward letter and they give you another little discount. I'm speaking from Hernando county. Your best bet would be to call the property appraiser's office in the area you're looking to buy and ask what you need to bring to qualify for homestead.

Earlride 01-18-2020 07:17 AM

I had always heard that you need to be a resident on January 1st but I got a letter in the mail telling me I was approved for a homestead exemption but I have only been here since June 30th. I hadn't even applied. What is the deal with that?

retiredguy123 01-18-2020 07:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The OP is asking about a homestead exemption available when he/she turns 65. In addition to the regular homestead exemption available to all ages, there are additional homestead exemptions available for people over 65, but there is an income and/or house value requirement. I have attached a pdf file that explains these exemptions.

jrieker68 01-18-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earlride (Post 1710496)
I had always heard that you need to be a resident on January 1st but I got a letter in the mail telling me I was approved for a homestead exemption but I have only been here since June 30th. I hadn't even applied. What is the deal with that?

I've been in FL 30+ years, bought 3 homes; also was a paralegal, some doing real estate closings. I've never heard of the Property Appraiser's office sending out letters advising people they were approved for an exemption - beware. If you bought your home on June 30, 2019, and the Seller already had a homestead exemption on the property, that exemption would have shown and been factored in on your 2019 property tax bill. As the new owner, you still need to apply for the exemption by March 1, 2020 whether it's a new or pre-owned home.

retiredguy123 01-18-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earlride (Post 1710496)

If you owned the house on January 1, 2020, you can apply for the exemption for 2020. I would make sure that the county has actually approved the exemption. I think you can check that on the county real estate website.

Juliebythesea 01-18-2020 10:08 AM

Age has nothing to do with Homestead exemptions

retiredguy123 01-18-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juliebythesea (Post 1710588)
Age has nothing to do with Homestead exemptions

Not true. There is an additional homestead exemption for people over 65 who meet certain income requirements. See Post No. 11.