Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Stripped Hex Screw in Bathroom Faucet (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/stripped-hex-screw-bathroom-faucet-301843/)

cordenny 01-17-2020 07:08 PM

Stripped Hex Screw in Bathroom Faucet

Went to change the washer in my faucet and the hexscrew at the side of the handle is stripped. I hate to call a plumber for this, but I can't get it out. Any suggestions?

cordenny 01-17-2020 07:12 PM

Stripped Hex Screw in Bathroom Faucet

I went to change the washer in the bathroom faucet, and the hex screw is stripped. I hate to call a plumber for this. Any suggestions?

anothersteve 01-17-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cordenny (Post 1710429)
I went to change the washer in the bathroom faucet, and the hex screw is stripped. I hate to call a plumber for this. Any suggestions?

Try a screwdriver just big enough to fit two diagonal points of the hex screw, tap with a hammer to set the driver. You might need to tap the driver and turn it at the same time. Or you can get an "easy-out" set that drills and twists in reverse.
Steve

retiredguy123 01-17-2020 10:42 PM

You can buy a special screw extractor and drill bit at Home Depot. First, you drill a small hole into the screw head. Then, you insert the screw extractor into the hole and tap it with a hammer. Then, you use a wrench or pliers to gently turn the screw extractor counterclockwise to remove the screw.

anothersteve 01-17-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1710471)
You can buy a special screw extractor and drill bit at Home Depot. Frist, you drill a small hole into the screw head. Then, you insert the screw extractor into the hole and tap it with a hammer. Then, you use a wrench or pliers to gently turn the screw extractor counterclockwise to remove the screw.

Yes an "easy-out" like I said
Steve

villagetinker 01-17-2020 10:48 PM

OP, I have a set of easyouts I may be able to help, send a PM with contact info.

jswirs 01-18-2020 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cordenny (Post 1710429)

I don't know how much room you have, but I have used a dremel tool with a carbide cutting disc to make a new slot in the screw head, then use a slot head screw driver to extract the screw. How old is the faucet? Because if you are changing a rubber washer it must be rather old, and sometimes it's best to replace the entire faucet.

Bridget Staunton 01-18-2020 07:03 AM

Stripped screw

Quote:

Originally Posted by cordenny (Post 1710428)
Went to change the washer in my faucet and the hexscrew at the side of the handle is stripped. I hate to call a plumber for this, but I can't get it out. Any suggestions?

Try and get the thinnest tool underneath the screw( putty knife, thin screwdriver) then back it out using pressure, maybe try a bigger screwdriver

Susan from Ohio 01-18-2020 07:13 AM

Are you sure that the screw is a hexscrew and not an allen screw? Most faucet handles have allen screws in them.

barnegat39 01-18-2020 07:19 AM

Hex Keyes come in 2 sizes metric or standard. Just a small difference in thickness. Is it possible you are using wrong size.

jeriteri 01-18-2020 07:29 AM

At HomeDepot

Access Denied

IUFAN 01-18-2020 07:57 AM

Easy out or left handed drill bit. If your careful enough you can start with a small right handed drill bit then go larger a little at a time and not disturb the internal threads.

retiredguy123 01-18-2020 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1710474)
Yes an "easy-out" like I said
Steve

Sorry, but I had never heard the term "easy-out".

Mike193534 01-18-2020 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1710530)
Sorry, but I had never heard the term "easy-out".

Home spot will know term “easy out” as will any building supply.

Nucky 01-18-2020 08:23 AM

I know this wasn't exactly your question but why not just cancel the existing faucet and buy this fantastic $20 tool. You will end up with new faucets throughout your home because it makes the job so simple. Ridgid Faucet & Sink Installer (Fast Faucet Fixes!!) -- by Home Repair Tutor - YouTube. There are many YouTube videos if you still want to make a repair to your existing faucet.