Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   carpet in the garage (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/carpet-garage-301923/)

Fastskiguy 01-19-2020 09:10 PM

carpet in the garage

1 Attachment(s)
I saw some really nice garage carpet on the parade of homes or whatever it's called....does anybody have this? Do you like it? How do you get it? Thanks :)

villagetinker 01-19-2020 09:16 PM

Not sure this is carpet, but if it is, I have seen 'carpet squares' at Lowe's, just not sure this is a good application. There are several floor covering specifically for garages (think possible spills, gas, oil, or leaks transmission fluid, etc,) that provide chemical resistance and easy cleanup. As for the carpet squares, these appear to have an adhesive backing that holds them in place. As a car guy, I would not have carpet in a garage, way too hard to keep clean.
Hope this helps.

Fastskiguy 01-19-2020 09:19 PM

Yes definitely thanks :) I have an epoxy floor now but it gets slick when wet and I've managed to take a flier on it and bang myself up....was thinking carpet would have more grippage but I'm sure upkeep is a little tougher than the ole' squeegee on the epoxy floor (that's sooo nice!).

kathyspear 01-19-2020 09:30 PM

Our current house has carpet in the garage. I don't know what the previous owner was thinking, seriously. It is BIZARRE. And dirty. And ... just ... weird. From what I can see under the edge molding it looks as if the floor might be painted like the driveway underneath. I will find out one of these days when we rip it out.

kathy

EdFNJ 01-19-2020 09:32 PM

My neighbor across the street has carpet in his garage. Not squares but rolled out 15' wide material. Not sure if it is glued down or not. Was kind of shocked when I saw it because he keeps his car and gas cart in it. As strange as it seems it barely has a mark on it and he said he just keeps it vacuumed. When I asked he told me the original owner left it (it's been over 10 years). I recently had epoxy done and it's beautiful and when it was put down it had triple anti-slip put on it but when it gets whet it's still like a slip n' slide. In fact, when are dryer is running I sometimes find it a foot or more away from the wall as it line dances down the floor. :) The washer doesn't have that problem because it is much heavier.

I had my driveway done as well (not epoxy but stain with clear coat and 2x anti-slip) it too looks great but it's also quite slippery when wet and it's a pretty steep incline as well.

Another option for the garage are those rubber garage tiles. Was looking at them as well but the "good ones" were actually more than epoxy.

Velvet 01-19-2020 11:56 PM

I am thinking of mats in the garage under the vehicles. Concrete is bad for the tires if I’m away for a significant time. I’ve seen many people do this for their golf cart, but for the whole garage floor?

My driveway and walkway are made from what looks like small unmovable pebbles (river rock?) Excellent for traction in wet weather too. I love whoever thought of it.

Golferguy99 01-20-2020 05:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastskiguy (Post 1710922)
I saw some really nice garage carpet on the parade of homes or whatever it's called....does anybody have this? Do you like it? How do you get it? Thanks :)

is amazing stuff Attachment 82629

Marshlanding 01-20-2020 06:56 AM

I use the least expensive indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot 50 cents a sq ft. It comes off a 12 foot roll and about 8 foot wide is fine for under my car. Some double sided carpet tape in the corners holds it fine. Keeps tire tracks off the floor, vacuums fine and if there is a real spill I'd just throw it out and put in a new one. I use a smaller piece, about 6 ft wide under my golf cart. Also painted the garage floor with Benjamin Moore Floor and Patio paint. After many tries with other paints here and up north, am convinced this is the best value, easiest to apply and gives a great finish. Can repaint a two-car plus golf cart garage with a roller and long handle in about 2 - 3 hrs.

stadry 01-20-2020 07:32 AM

many tv garage floors i've seen are burned (burnished) to a high degree which makes them slippery when wet,,, llthey look nice enough & are easy to keep clean but can be slippery,,, we're renting for a month & already i slipped,,, when we install epoxy floors in atl, we broadcast vinyl chips into the wet epoxy base coat,,, realize that doesn't help you BUT we also mix in 'shark's grip' into the protective urethane coat we install on TOP of the epoxy,,, we use 'rexthane' from sher-wms - same place that sells the shark's grip,,, you can do the same w/your floor
marsh also has a good point
the 'pebble' driveway MAY be 'chattahoochie' which is a wtr-based epoxy seeded w/graded river aggregate of various colors OR it may be exposed aggregate OR it could also be apron/vest store aggregate 'seeded' & bullfloated into the wet conc

Bay Kid 01-20-2020 07:44 AM

I use all the mats included in my golf cart purchases and old scatter rugs. Just a cheap guy.

rmd2 01-20-2020 09:47 AM

I hired a company who does garage resurface and because of the slippery surface of the floor they put in "extra heavy shard". I looks nice, is easy to clean and is safe to walk on when wet.

villagetinker 01-20-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastskiguy (Post 1710924)
Yes definitely thanks :) I have an epoxy floor now but it gets slick when wet and I've managed to take a flier on it and bang myself up....was thinking carpet would have more grippage but I'm sure upkeep is a little tougher than the ole' squeegee on the epoxy floor (that's sooo nice!).

Have your floor coated with a clear coat and have them add "shark grip" this will greatly reduce the slippery surface when wet. Make sure the clear coating is compatible with the epoxy coating, and also suitable for garage use (resistant to automotive fluids).

OhioBuckeye 01-20-2020 12:18 PM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastskiguy (Post 1710922)

Personally I don’t think I would use carpet anymore unless you have a car that doesn’t leak oil. Also after a while it starts to smell. I know they make carpet for garage floors but it doesn’t last long before you have to replace it. Home Depot makes a fiberglass or plastic floor that snaps together, but never tried it, sounds like a good product!

EdFNJ 01-20-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1711168)
Have your floor coated with a clear coat and have them add "shark grip" this will greatly reduce the slippery surface when wet. Make sure the clear coating is compatible with the epoxy coating, and also suitable for garage use (resistant to automotive fluids).

Tim Miller did our floor and it is like the Bobby Darin song wrt sharks. Still very slippery when wet (especially with rubber soled shoes like sneakers). It was clear coated with shark teeth. :) It's a shiny non-porous surface and while you can reduce the slippage it's always going to be there but I'd do it again if I had to.

ppmgb@me.com 01-21-2020 06:13 AM

We were going to put down the rubber tiles; found the runners on amazon. 7.5 ft wide and 20 ft long. 3 of them covers our entire garage except for a few ft on each side. Stained floor with concrete stain from sherwin Williams- looks wonderful and easy clean up!