Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Social security question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/social-security-question-301996/)

Jeanette.U 01-21-2020 04:18 PM

Social security question

I looked on the SSA.gov site and did not find this exact question. My husband is retired and collects monthly SS benefit. I am also retired, 64, but wish to delay SS for several years. Am I able to collect spousal SS benefits until I decide to collect my own? If so, does it affect my benefit at all once I start to collect my own? I tried calling the SS office in Leesburg but was on hold quite a long time and hung up before I was able to talk to anyone. I saw someone’s post that they made an appointment and had all their questions answered. I did not find where I could make an appointment online. Thank you!

retiredguy123 01-21-2020 04:37 PM

I think you need to call to make an appointment, 1-866-836-3623. They don't make appointments online. Also, I don't think you can apply for a spousal benefit and then switch to your own benefit later unless you were born before January 2, 1954. But, I would make an appointment and visit them in person.

rjm1cc 01-21-2020 05:11 PM

Good question and maybe hard to get the correct answer so double check. In the past I think it was possible to do what you want - collect on your husbands account and not reduce your own payments from your account in the future. I do not think you can do this now. If you start collecting any SS payments before your full retirement age I think you will get less than 100% of your FRA benefit for life. Remember I am sort of guessing but I think I have the correct answer. Try reading this https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10127.pdf

kansasr 01-21-2020 06:08 PM

This is correct...this benefit was eliminated and you have to have been born before 1/2/1954 to be eligible.

Kooba 01-21-2020 08:19 PM

I went stop at S.S. in Leesburg the 1st week of Jan ,, I was told the by the security guard to come back after 3 closer to 4 ,, the wait time is cut in half. They want to close and go home

petsetc 01-22-2020 12:01 PM

You need to confirm with SS, but I believe that you can collect as a spouse and later, usually at age 70(age when benefit maximizes), you can elect to continue with the spousal benefit or change to your own benefit which every is better.

I think what was changed was the ability to collect before age 65, then to repay the monies received to restore the full benefit.

SS needs to confirm.

retiredguy123 01-22-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petsetc (Post 1711741)
You need to confirm with SS, but I believe that you can collect as a spouse and later, usually at age 70(age when benefit maximizes), you can elect to continue with the spousal benefit or change to your own benefit which every is better.

I think what was changed was the ability to collect before age 65, then to repay the monies received to restore the full benefit.

SS needs to confirm.

I agree with verifying the rule with SSA, but, according to this article, what you said does not appear to be correct for people born after January 1, 1954.

Can I Start Spousal Benefits and Claim My Own Social Security Later?

petsetc 01-23-2020 05:26 AM

I stand corrected (and updated) by retiredguy123. Here is a link to SSA FAQ

Benefits Planner: Retirement | Deemed Filing For Retirement And Spouse’s Benefits FAQs | Social Security Administration

Debfrommaine 01-23-2020 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansasr (Post 1711552)
This is correct...this benefit was eliminated and you have to have been born before 1/2/1954 to be eligible.

Correct

PugMom 01-23-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kooba (Post 1711571)
I went stop at S.S. in Leesburg the 1st week of Jan ,, I was told the by the security guard to come back after 3 closer to 4 ,, the wait time is cut in half. They want to close and go home

same thing with any motor vehicle department, lol

Sunflower33 01-23-2020 07:30 AM

Whenever I need answers I go there at 8:45 they open at 9:00 and all questions are answered. Don’t ever wait that long. Just go go at end of month or beginning otherwise you might wait 30 minutes or so

Teachbeach 01-23-2020 10:12 AM

Spousal benefit was eliminated for people born after Jan 2, 1954. Best to make an appointment and visit to get your questions answered. Many CPA's and estate planning attorneys can also tell you. There are many options for delaying/maximizing your benefit.

Quickdraw 01-24-2020 01:29 AM

You will need to call the social security office to make an appointment, which is preferable, if they will even let you make one. Whether they let you make an actual appointment, or require you to just show up and sit and wait is subject driven. Even if you get an appointment, it usually only shortens you wait a few minutes, so don't think that just because you have an appointment for 3:OO PM they will actually meet with you at that time.