Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Allowing access to your “courtyard” villa (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/allowing-access-your-courtyard-villa-302017/)

mollypeanut 01-22-2020 11:27 AM

Allowing access to your “courtyard” villa

Has anyone had to do this? You must allow access to a pest control company so your neighbor can spray 4 sides of their home... You have a dog that is in your courtyard, now subject to the chemicals... Actually most of your courtyard is their property... What can you do if you don’t want your little piece of paradise to be subject to pesticides?? I’m thinking not much...

vintageogauge 01-22-2020 11:48 AM

I'm thinking you're thinking is right. You might want to reconsider not using pesticides around your villa.

mollypeanut 01-22-2020 12:00 PM

I don’t want the pesticide.. it’s my neighbor who I am supposed to give access too.. it’s upsetting, I’m worried about my dog.. she is a 10lb elderly dog.

JSR22 01-22-2020 12:13 PM

We have 2 dogs and we have a company that treats our lawn. They told us to keep the dogs off the lawn for 2 hours and then they could go back on the lawn. We have lived here 7 1/2 years and have not had any problems.

retiredguy123 01-22-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollypeanut (Post 1711730)
Has anyone had to do this? You must allow access to a pest control company so your neighbor can spray 4 sides of their home... You have a dog that is in your courtyard, now subject to the chemicals... Actually most of your courtyard is their property... What can you do if you don’t want your little piece of paradise to be subject to pesticides?? I’m thinking not much...

You are thinking correctly. It is not your property, and, as long as the pesticide is legal, your neighbor can spray their house and their property.

rjm1cc 01-22-2020 12:57 PM

Your deed probably gives then access. Read the deed and see if it does.

Goldwingnut 01-22-2020 01:16 PM

This is one of the pitfalls of living in a villa, you neighbor has the right to access the area to perform maintenance on their home and you have the obligation to allow them to access. Their need and request for pest control is not considered an unreasonable request.

You could talk with your neighbor and tell them your concerns of the chemicals and you pet. If you agree to pay for alternative treatments of pest control that would satisfy you concerns, it would probably go a long way to resolving the issue. The downfall of course could be if there is a problem and the alternative treatment was unsuccessful you could be held accountable and liable for any damages to the home due to ineffective treatment. A good example of this would be if there is a termite issue.

If you're unwilling to take the steps to reasonably address the issue then you will find yourself on the wrong side of the argument. If you refuse them access, contrary to the deed restrictions you agreed to, you can and will be held legally accountable for any remediation, costs, and inconvenience the home owner incurs.

Living in a courtyard villa community has its own unique set of challenges and compromises. While the details vary from community to community and neighbor to neighbor issues like these come up all the time. You were forewarned at closing, maybe not in so many words but by the restrictions you agreed to, if you read them or not.

And Yes, I live in a courtyard villa.

CWGUY 01-22-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollypeanut (Post 1711730)

:ohdear: You live in a CYV..... do you just treat 3 sides of your home?

https://www.districtgov.org/departme.../CourtYard.pdf

Topspinmo 01-22-2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollypeanut (Post 1711740)
I don’t want the pesticide.. it’s my neighbor who I am supposed to give access too.. it’s upsetting, I’m worried about my dog.. she is a 10lb elderly dog.

Sorry you didn’t know this. It should of been explained to you before you brought CYV. Your neighbor has the right to protect his property. Also you can not have anything touching his house wall nor have irrigation spraying on his house. There is one foot easement from his house on you’re side. If you damage his house you can be held responsible.

CWGUY 01-22-2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1711796)
Sorry you didn’t know this. It should of been explained to you before you brought CYV. Your neighbor has the right to protect his property. Also you can not have anything touching his house wall nor have irrigation spraying on his house. There is one foot easement from his house on you’re side. If you damage his house you can be held responsible.

:confused: Reading their history they have been here 7 and a half years..... how did they not know? Does anyone do any research? Due diligence? :ohdear:

I live in a CYV and my neighbor has been there less than 2 years. She has a key to my gate lock and standing permission to enter if needed with a phone call. If no answer..... go ahead I'm not home. I still wonder if the OP treats all around their home. :)

mollypeanut 01-22-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1711815)
:confused: Reading their history they have been here 7 and a half years..... how did they not know? Does anyone do any research? Due diligence? :ohdear:

I live in a CYV and my neighbor has been there less than 2 years. She has a key to my gate lock and standing permission to enter if needed with a phone call. If no answer..... go ahead I'm not home. I still wonder if the OP treats all around their home. :)

Guess you did not read the op never said I was here 7 1/2 years.. And yes, I do understand that I do have to give the neighbor access.. I am not disputing that or their right to put chemicals around their house.. I am only stating my concern for my dog.. and has anyone else had this issue..And how were they able to handle it.. again only looking for advice... I am glad that you and your neighbor can share keys that is a wonderful thing! But has nothing to do with my concern..

CFrance 01-22-2020 10:11 PM

I don't know how anyone else in a CYV would handle it. We waited a day or until the sprinklers went off before allowing our dog onto the treated grass at our designer. Our CYV is all stone landscaping, and the neighbors have one of those buried liquid termite protection systems, which means they don't spray for anything. Perhaps you could pay for that for your neighbors so they wouldn't need to spray. Or keep the little one off the patio for a day or two. I understand your concern.

I didn't know most of my courtyard is their property. My patio, landscaping, et al? Guess I didn't read my deed restrictions either.

kingtutt20 01-23-2020 05:45 AM

The only chemical that they would need to spray is for termites and that would done right up against the neighbors house. It soaks in and should not be harmful to you dog. Find out who your neighbor uses and call them and ask them about what they are using and your concerns.

You would be responsible for any plants that need a pesticide inside your courtyard

ts12755 01-23-2020 06:09 AM

Just keep the gate locked and coordinate their entry so you can keep your dog off the grass for the required amount of time. I believe the chemical I use says keep pets away for one hour as it dries.

Maryland04 01-23-2020 06:30 AM

Once again someone bought without checking what they bought into.