Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sinkhole inspection for sinkhole ins.? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sinkhole-inspection-sinkhole-ins-302032/)

gatorbill1 01-22-2020 04:15 PM

Sinkhole inspection for sinkhole ins.?

After getting e mails from Progressive to bundle my insurance I decided to call them. I have my auto ins with them and asked for a homeowners quote to bundle both. The quote was about $200 less than my current insurance company. When I said I was interested in hooking them up, the sales person said he needed to check with someone about adding sinkhole coverage (which I wanted). I was then told I would need to get a sinkhole inspection before they could provide the coverage. I have sinkhole now and always have for the last 10 years. Never needed an inspection before. Have been told the inspection could cost $5,000 to $10,000. Obviously I am staying with current company (Coastal). Any comments??

Topspinmo 01-22-2020 04:38 PM

Get bundle quote from AAA.

gatorbill1 01-22-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1711800)
Get bundle quote from AAA.

AAA was a lot more $$ every time I checked them

villagetinker 01-22-2020 04:53 PM

We had a inspection a couple of years ago, it was a walk around the outside of the house taking pictures, NO cost.

vintageogauge 01-22-2020 05:11 PM

I have Progressive through The Villages insurance, no problem with them and no inspection. I have tried several other companies to compare apples to apples rates and no one even comes close so I'm sticking with The Villages, no need to look further.

John_W 01-22-2020 05:45 PM

I switched last May from American Integrity to the company you want to leave, Coastal Insurance. I had been with AI for 8 years and my premiums had gone from $505 in 2011 to $985 last spring. The Villages Insurance transferred me to Coastal for only $575 for sink hole and catastrophic collapse, no inspection. I would stay with Coastal if I were you.

gatorbill1 01-22-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1711819)
I switched last May from American Integrity to the company you want to leave, Coastal Insurance. I had been with AI for 8 years and my premiums had gone from $505 in 2011 to $985 last spring. The Villages Insurance transferred me to Coastal for only $575 for sink hole and catastrophic collapse, no inspection. I would stay with Coastal if I were you.

i

I think I will.
The Progressive salesperson said underwriting makes all the decisions, and their decision is final even though it changes from day to day, I am very happy with Progressive for auto so thought I would try them for house. Coastal is OK with me also.

Retiring 01-22-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 1711794)
After getting e mails from Progressive to bundle my insurance I decided to call them. I have my auto ins with them and asked for a homeowners quote to bundle both. The quote was about $200 less than my current insurance company. When I said I was interested in hooking them up, the sales person said he needed to check with someone about adding sinkhole coverage (which I wanted). I was then told I would need to get a sinkhole inspection before they could provide the coverage. I have sinkhole now and always have for the last 10 years. Never needed an inspection before. Have been told the inspection could cost $5,000 to $10,000. Obviously I am staying with current company (Coastal). Any comments??

There are sinkhole inspections and there are sinkhole inspections. As villagetinker said, the insurance company inspection is usually a walk around at no cost to you.

A geological survey will run $7-10k and is an entirely different animal. I was going to have it done till I was advised by couple RE agents, it may not be a good idea.

gatorbill1 01-22-2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1711804)
We had a inspection a couple of years ago, it was a walk around the outside of the house taking pictures, NO cost.

not with Progressive for sinkhole

tophcfa 01-22-2020 07:50 PM

An ambassador at Lopez told me they are not allowed to use the S word. They have been instructed to refer to sinkholes as depressions. My response is that people are depressed who have sinkholes open up near their house.

Lyn Wagner 01-23-2020 06:49 AM

Do they have sink hole coverage?

ColdNoMore 01-23-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1711839)
An ambassador at Lopez told me they are not allowed to use the S word. They have been instructed to refer to sinkholes as depressions. My response is that people are depressed who have sinkholes open up near their house.

Awesome! :thumbup:

dmarti1973 01-23-2020 07:42 AM

Sinkhole Insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 1711794)

Smart move! I am a Villager. However, I have been in the insurance claims business in FL for over 30 years and have never heard of Coastal. Is that an offshoot of Citizens? Buying homeowner insurance in FL should always come from an AM Best rated company with aa rating no less than A. Premium cost should not be a consideration. You often get what you pay for.

Singerlady 01-23-2020 08:00 AM

We have State Farm. Our sinkhole inspection was a walk around and cost $23. Going to have a requote with The Villages Insurance soon. Only chose them because it was easier last year to just ‘transfer’ from home. We’re newbies.

birdawg 01-23-2020 09:41 AM

My home's assessment is 3 hundred thousand so I have to pay the first 30 thousand, if the house is not a catastrophic collapse. My thinking is if I have 30 thousand worth of damage the house would be considered a catastrophic collapse. So do you think the extra insurance is needed.