Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/)
-   -   the greens (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/greens-302100/)

village dreamer 01-24-2020 02:03 PM

the greens

I just have to say , the greens are the best they looked in years. thank you to the new grounds keeper and crew.:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::clap2::clap2::clap2:

dewilson58 01-24-2020 02:17 PM

As I was making my way around Bonifay this morning, I was thinking a couple things:

1) No negative threads on course conditions lately.

2) Courses have been in pretty good shape.

3) Even with the "crazy new fees", the courses are still full.

4) Why is my club-face not closing??

Thanks for starting the thread.

billethkid 01-24-2020 02:17 PM

The improvement over the last 6 months on most executive courses is dramatic. The t boxes, the greens and there is even evidence of real grass on many fairways.
Keep up the good work grounds keepers.

Now if we could only get the residents to fill their divots, fix ball marks on the greens (yes even the ones you did not make) and lastly rake the bunkers.

Why is it so difficult to get people to do what is right and expected if they want to play the game????

tophcfa 01-24-2020 05:48 PM

I agree, the winter conditions in general are the best I have ever experienced in the Villages. We did make one trip outside the bubble and played for half the price, but the conditions weren’t even close to as good and it just isn’t the same as loading up your golf cart at home and playing with your own ride.

Mleeja 01-24-2020 06:36 PM

Our group plays executive courses all around The Villages. The greens on the courses by Lopez are probably the best. Hawkes Bay and Saddlebrook are in poor shape which is surprising seeing that both of these courses have recently been “redone”. Mangrove, Sweetgum, Long Leaf, and Red Fox are good, but not great.

alwann 01-24-2020 06:38 PM

Yes, most do. Wish I could say the same about the fairways on some the championships. Kenya, for one example. I'm amazed how the crews can grow the rough so deep and thick but don't appear to be able to get grass to grow on the fairways. Don't tell me it's cart wear. Most of us hit more shots out of the rough than the fairways.

tophcfa 01-24-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1712373)
Yes, most do. Wish I could say the same about the fairways on some the championships. Kenya, for one example. I'm amazed how the crews can grow the rough so deep and thick but don't appear to be able to get grass to grow on the fairways. Don't tell me it's cart wear. Most of us hit more shots out of the rough than the fairways.

The fairways at the Championships are in the best winter shape I have experienced, with the exception of Havana? Not sure why only this course has such boney fairways, but with so many other options I plan to avoid this course for a while.

karostay 01-24-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by village dreamer (Post 1712310)
I just have to say , the greens are the best they looked in years. thank you to the new grounds keeper and crew.:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Go Play Pimlico, Belmont,and Church Hill
You won't think that

Dave2000 01-25-2020 07:06 AM

The unseasonal rain may have help too.

Bay Kid 01-25-2020 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1712386)
Go Play Pimlico, Belmont,and Church Hill
You won't think that

Such a shame. They have been bad for the last few years.

barnacleb1ll 01-25-2020 08:26 AM

Good to hear, I have been so disappointed with the greens the last two years.

wamley 01-25-2020 10:20 AM

When you get the answer to #4b let me know. Thanks

Brian Blomquist 01-25-2020 01:53 PM

look around

Quote:

Originally Posted by village dreamer (Post 1712310)

guess you have not played at Bonita Pass or Bogart

Annie66 02-04-2020 08:13 PM

I played Palmetto this morning. The greens were in poor shape. Adding to the issue, the greens keepers left a large amount of grass clippings all over the green. All 9 greens experienced the same problems.

photo1902 02-05-2020 05:45 AM

Hawkes Bay. Terrible.