Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Looking for homes and locations for GAS utilities.... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/looking-homes-locations-gas-utilities-302146/)

MrsArmie 01-25-2020 01:14 PM

Looking for homes and locations for GAS utilities....

We are just starting to look at homes and locations in the Villages for our retirement. We really like gas versus electric for our whole house heating and especially for our kitchen cooktop. Is there a summary someplace that lists the villages, neighborhoods or types of houses that allow gas utilities? I've seen bits of info here and there but no comprehensive list or any way of clearly seeing where gas is allowed and where it is not. Can anyone help? :024:

DAIII 01-25-2020 01:49 PM

From what I've seen and I live in the newer sections of TV, they are all gas in the newer sections - 2018 onward is gas equiped. (dryer, stove/oven, tankless hot water) it's wonderful! 30 a month for 2 people and when the home is vacant it's 15 a month for the connection)

John_W 01-25-2020 03:32 PM

In the established areas I believe gas installation was discontinued after 2007. Probably the center part between Morse and Buena Vista due south of Lake Sumter Square down to possibly Duval could be 2007. Nothing south of 466A, that area was built starting in 2011. The villages along St. Charles are 2009 and later, so they would be without gas (Pennecamp, Buttonwood, Tamarind Grove, St. James).

JSR22 01-25-2020 03:43 PM

There are gas lines in the street in Bonita. TECO will run the line to your house for free if you have 2 gas appliances.

Madelaine Amee 01-25-2020 06:24 PM

We are just north of 466 and we are all gas. Love it.

bandsdavis 01-25-2020 06:53 PM

We are in a non-gas area (Village of St. Charles just off Buena Vista) and we love cooking with gas, so we buried a propane tank in our back yard that is hooked up to our range (oven and cook top) and our grill. We have spent an average of $60 per year on gas (yes per year) and we cook dinner at home all but maybe 4 times a month on average. Don't use it for dryer or hot water, but we find the electric rates very reasonable here as well.

MrsArmie 01-25-2020 09:07 PM

Thank you!! I'm glad to hear the newer houses have gas. I thought I read somewhere all the newer neighborhoods are almost all electric.

MrsArmie 01-25-2020 09:08 PM

Thank you!

MrsArmie 01-25-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandsdavis (Post 1712705)
We are in a non-gas area (Village of St. Charles just off Buena Vista) and we love cooking with gas, so we buried a propane tank in our back yard that is hooked up to our range (oven and cook top) and our grill. We have spent an average of $60 per year on gas (yes per year) and we cook dinner at home all but maybe 4 times a month on average. Don't use it for dryer or hot water, but we find the electric rates very reasonable here as well.

You hooked up a propane tank? Doesn't that eventually run out of propane?

Mmarr 01-26-2020 06:10 AM

Better check with area your interested in..Northern part by Lopez has gas.. ask first...

SnowflakeinDeLaVista 01-26-2020 06:48 AM

I’m in Glenbrook and my sister is in Piedmont. Both gas houses. I heard that if you are north of 466 and west of buena vista, you have gas. Didn’t know the new sections did also.

Wrhobson 01-26-2020 07:47 AM

We live in the North end (Briar Meadow) in a house built in 2004 and enjoy our gas forced air furnace, gas cooking and instant hot water from a gas-fired on-demand hot water unit. Being from Ohio, we never got comfortable with the heat pump we had in South Carolina. We like the North end and feel it is less congested than the Central and Southern areas.

dennisgavin 01-26-2020 08:20 AM

Live in Natalie Villas and have gas. Would not buy a house without it. Personal preference. This area built in 2005.

Davelinda91 01-26-2020 08:44 AM

We live in Village of Caroline and have gas hook up but electric appliances. Not sure why but will be changing over to gas.

LCD2020 01-26-2020 09:23 AM

Cost to install the tank?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandsdavis (Post 1712705)

I’ve been thinking of doing that with a propane tank. Can you give me an idea what it cost? Thanks.