Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Soundproof Bedroom Doors? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/soundproof-bedroom-doors-302184/)

roob1 01-26-2020 03:09 PM

Soundproof Bedroom Doors?

Many of the homes in TV have the master bedroom double doors opening directly into the living room.

Has anyone replaced the original doors with soundproof doors (assuming they are available)?

I am also interested in what other remedies owners have taken to reduce sound traveling through these doors.

jblum315 01-26-2020 04:18 PM

Keep the noise down

tophcfa 01-26-2020 04:20 PM

The walls are so thin and uninsulated that I doubt replacing the doors will make any significant difference.

Debfrommaine 01-26-2020 04:21 PM

[QUOTE=roob1;1712931]Many of the homes in TV have the master bedroom double doors opening directly into the living room.

Has anyone replaced the original doors with soundproof doors (assuming they are available)?

I am also interested in what other remedies owners have taken to reduce sound traveling through these doors.[/QUOTe

Wireless TV headset works perfect in such a situation. House is quiet and everyone is happy.

John_W 01-26-2020 04:25 PM

Most builders save a lot of money by going with hollow-core interior doors. A normal size solid-core door, 28" x 80" can be purchased for about $130 from the home improvement stores. Then just switch the hardware to the new door. You can also get them already finished in white for about $25 more but it might not match your existing paint trim. You'll probably want a carpenter or handyman to drill the holes and hang the door, it may need trimming if you have carpet. That should make a difference in the sound, the only other way would be to insulate the walls. You could have insulation company inject expanding foam insulation in the empty wall cavity.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...43-64_1000.jpg

Home Depot 28x80 solid core interior door

Insulating Existing Walls with Spray Foam

retiredguy123 01-26-2020 06:35 PM

If the bedroom doors are double doors, the noise will come through the gap between the doors. So, solid doors won't help very much. You need to close any air gaps between the doors with some type of weatherstripping. Also, you need to close gaps between the doors and the door frame and at the floor. If there are any air gaps, the noise will just travel around the doors.

twoplanekid 01-26-2020 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=Debfrommaine;1712946]
Quote:

Originally Posted by roob1 (Post 1712931)
Many of the homes in TV have the master bedroom double doors opening directly into the living room.

I am also interested in what other remedies owners have taken to reduce sound traveling through these doors.[/QUOTe

Wireless TV headset works perfect in such a situation. House is quiet and everyone is happy.

I will agree!! "Wireless TV headset works perfect in such a situation. House is quiet and everyone is happy."

My wife is using one now as I am writing this reply! She is happy and so am I.

MCJEFE 01-26-2020 08:21 PM

I think my wife likes it when I wear the bluetooth headphones... Actually I don't hear any complaints when I wear them... ;)

roob1 01-27-2020 04:21 AM

Will it work for the sleeping person, when one rises earlier then the other and is using the main area of the home early in the AM? Don't think so...

[QUOTE=twoplanekid;1712989]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debfrommaine (Post 1712946)

I will agree!! "Wireless TV headset works perfect in such a situation. House is quiet and everyone is happy."

My wife is using one now as I am writing this reply! She is happy and so am I.

graciegirl 01-27-2020 06:11 AM

[QUOTE=roob1;1713019]Will it work for the sleeping person, when one rises earlier then the other and is using the main area of the home early in the AM? Don't think so...

WHEW.
Thank you for clarifying the source of the noise. I have such a vivid imagination. ;)]

cappak 01-27-2020 06:22 AM

How about Bose Q35 Bluetooth headphones or ear plugs for the person who doesn’t want to hear the noise? A lot cheaper than replacing doors and insulating walls. or how about the noise maker, making an effort to create less noise?

retiredguy123 01-27-2020 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappak (Post 1713028)
How about Bose Q35 Bluetooth headphones or ear plugs for the person who doesn’t want to hear the noise? A lot cheaper than replacing doors and insulating walls. or how about the noise maker, making an effort to create less noise?

The latest Bose Bluetooth headphones are the Model 700 for $399.95.

MIskra 01-27-2020 07:45 AM

When we built our house, the sales person in the design center offered us the option of "solid core" doors throughout the entire house (including the closet doors). It was not an expensive option, so we took it. We also had all our bedrooms, bathrooms, and the laundry room insulated. Our doors are super-heavy. They feel rock-solid, unlike hollow doors. Our bedrooms are very quiet, but I think it's a combination of the doors and the insulation.

Dave2000 01-27-2020 07:47 AM

I just don't get the problem, unless you are trying to go to bed while a party is going on in the rest of the house. If its the TV, Bluetooth or TV ears will solve the problem.

Debfrommaine 01-27-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2000 (Post 1713062)
I just don't get the problem, unless you are trying to go to bed while a party is going on in the rest of the house. If its the TV, Bluetooth or TV ears will solve the problem.

Agree and wireless allows one to hear the tv anywhere in the house, lanai areas.