Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Hairline crack in shower? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/hairline-crack-shower-302207/)

Markue 01-27-2020 01:18 PM

Hairline crack in shower?

Has anyone experienced a hairline crack in the base of a corner fiberglass or acrylic one piece shower? If so, how did you repair it? Thanks!

DAIII 01-27-2020 02:07 PM

Most of the new homes have it- from the installer kicking the panel in place. Call warranty and they will fix it. :welcome:

Markue 01-27-2020 03:01 PM

Our home is not new

Thanks, but our home is not new, so we no longer have a warranty.

villagetinker 01-27-2020 04:58 PM

I would go with a high quality clear epoxy glue. this type of glue is rigid, so I would then apply a flexible cover of GOOP marine grade glue. This product goes on easily and has a good life. I am assuming that you cannot easily get to the back or underside of the enclosure, or I would apply Fiberglas and the appropriate glue. If the crack is truly hairline, then the Gorilla Glue 'super glue' should be able to actually soak into the crack and completely fill it, but I would still have the Goop overcoat, as it is flexible.

Markue 01-27-2020 08:48 PM

Gorilla Super Glue?

Thanks for the info! Do you know if the Gorilla super glue is waterproof? Isn’t the Goop overcoat thick and thus leave a ridge on the shower base?

villagetinker 01-28-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markue (Post 1713331)
Thanks for the info! Do you know if the Gorilla super glue is waterproof? Isn’t the Goop overcoat thick and thus leave a ridge on the shower base?

The super glues are waterproof, but are very brittle, which is the reason i suggested the Goop over coat, and this can be smoothed out with your finger, just use a small amount of glue. I had also mentioned the super glue to provide holding power and hopefully stop additional cracking. Another option would be either clear or white silicone based caulk, but this will be difficult to get in the crack. Believe it o not if you go to the auto parts store, there is a product called FLOWABLE silicone it is clear, it is used for windshield leaks. this would flow into the crack, and you should be able to use your finger nail to remove any excess.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.
Send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.

photo1902 01-28-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markue (Post 1713214)
Has anyone experienced a hairline crack in the base of a corner fiberglass or acrylic one piece shower? If so, how did you repair it? Thanks!

Any (clear or white) latex or silicone caulk made for use in bathrooms will be fine.