Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Feminine Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/feminine-forum-111/)
-   -   Nail Salon (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/feminine-forum-111/nail-salon-302339/)

Suzieque 01-30-2020 06:01 PM

Nail Salon

I don't mean to be racist, but does anyone go to a nail salon or technician who is not Asian? I'm a snowbird and my home nail technician would prefer that I not go there. Thank you.

billethkid 01-30-2020 06:30 PM

Tuscany Salon and Spa in Lake Sumter Landing.

JoMar 01-30-2020 06:38 PM

One of the more absurd posts.....a nail technician up north that has never been here (assume) tells someone to avoid Asian's and she salutes. Wow

asianthree 01-30-2020 07:08 PM

I don’t find it racist, coming from the person who’s sign on is Asianthree. You usually do not find higher quality products from certain nail salons.

JoMar 01-30-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1714150)
I don’t find it racist, coming from the person who’s sign on is Asianthree. You usually do not find higher quality products from certain nail salons.

Don't think she was speaking to product quality since she was looking for a technician that wasn't Asian.

asianthree 01-31-2020 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1714161)
Don't think she was speaking to product quality since she was looking for a technician that wasn't Asian.

Anything that is used on my nails, is free of formaldehyde, ethyl acetate, phthalates. My Nail Person also insists that I only use certain nail salons, Usually only found in Spa settings. Not so much the person doing the nails.

So it’s not racist, If you choose not to use an Asian nail salon, compared to a Spa Salon. I don’t think it’s sexist for a male only wanting a male urologist. Or a female only want a female OB/GYN.

I prefer not sitting in a salon that one does not understand the conversation that is ongoing. It can be very enlightening, if you do speak the language.

alncon2 01-31-2020 06:45 AM

Nail Technician

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzieque (Post 1714138)
I don't mean to be racist, but does anyone go to a nail salon or technician who is not Asian? I'm a snowbird and my home nail technician would prefer that I not go there. Thank you.

You can try Debby's Hair Loft on Rt. 301 in Coleman. Great nail technician and great hair stylists.

DReifinger 01-31-2020 07:03 AM

I agree with your take. My daughter is a stylist and nail tech and in many of those salons there are issues with product quality, selection and salon cleanliness. However, I do go to a salon where there are mostly Asian's (two salons, in fact) and I love it. I felt some of the comments here were not necessary or nice.

dlwretired 01-31-2020 08:00 AM

Try Salon Jaylee at Colony Plaza, ask for Kimberly. She is great!

cronin2 01-31-2020 08:25 AM

Where do you go to get the more natural products?

Rhonda West 01-31-2020 09:01 AM

Go to Sue Stoltz 352-446-9449. She used to work at Bella's but now she leases a space at The Trinity Springs Salon. Her space is lovely and clean and quiet and an absolute PLEASURABLE experience AND is MUCH less expensive than the spas. The last time I used one of the facilities you initially alluded too, I acquired a fungus that took an entire year to clear up! I will ONLY go to Sue from now on!

J1ceasar 01-31-2020 09:02 AM

If you'd really like to understand the full story of why there are so many Asians as Nail Spa Salon technicians just Google Tippi hendren. Many years ago in California she was visiting South Vietnamese ladies who were coming in to America with no skills and no job opportunities she realized how interested they were in her fancy painted nails. She paid for several of them to learn how to become nail technicians and become licensed thus began The Surge over the years of Vietnamese ladies opening nail salons and creating good job opportunities for themselves and their families. They actually did work very hard and as in a capitalist Society price their work below the many American nail salons that were operating at the Times but in doing so they became productive members of American society.

asianthree 01-31-2020 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1714254)
When I have my nails done at the shop at Lake Sumter Landing, (which is the only place I have ever had my nails done...my toes, which seem to have grown further away lately) I noticed that the people who work there are largely Asian. I also noticed they are very careful about putting a liner in the basin and having you take home your file and buffer to use again when you return and that the polish lasts the whole time. Up until this annoying time of me unable to reach my toes to paint, I did my own. I don't know why almost all the folks that work there are Asian but they all seem very nice and I imagine they all have interesting stories to tell as to how they got to this place and work with so many Villagers, who I hope are nice to them.

P.S. It makes me very angry when I meet people who think all older people think and act the same...and worse are all dumb as rocks.

Most nail salons are family related, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles. Each family makes sure every person who enters this country, goes to school gets their license to work at the shop. Most are Vietnamese. However here in TV I do my own. Up north I go to a spa that only uses certain products.

I used one popular nail salon in TV for a year, during that time I ended up with toenail fungus. It took my podiatrist a year to clear it up. At my due diligence I privately informed the owner of the salon. Sadly I was asked never to enter the business again.

asianthree 01-31-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cronin2 (Post 1714269)
Where do you go to get the more natural products?

Amazon, ULTA, Sally’s. I buy mine at Lifetime

bobbyb60 01-31-2020 11:11 AM

nail salon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzieque (Post 1714138)

Island of Beauty---352 748 2251