Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Internet cable problem (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/internet-cable-problem-302370/)

dougjb 01-31-2020 12:51 PM

Internet cable problem

I recently bought an older previously owned home in the Villages. Perhaps the last owner, perhaps someone earlier than them altered the internal in house wiring of the internet cables to the point they are unusable. My question is: who do I hire to replace/repair them? Electrician/cable professional? I have not a clue. Thank you in advance.

retiredguy123 01-31-2020 01:06 PM

If you plan to subscribe to Xfinity or another cable TV service, I would have them visit your house first to determine where you actually need cables installed. In some cases, they may be able to use wireless cable boxes. Also, you want to select a good location for your modem/router. You will probably need to hire an electrician to install some cabling. It is best to hire an electrician who specializes in TV cables, because it is more difficult to install than regular house wiring.

villagetinker 01-31-2020 01:49 PM

Are you talking about cable TV type cabling (round typically black in color) or Ethernet cable (typically blue with 8 small color coded wires). The reason I ask, cable TV wiring maybe repairable by cutting of the damaged end, correctly stripping the end and installing a new connector and extension cable. Ethernet cables typically cannot be spliced or repaired.
This is all low voltage wiring, and you should be free to have a handyman or electrical company repair or replace. The cable TV companies, at one time, would run new wiring outside the house and through the wall to the inside, have not seen that here, so not sure what they are doing now. If you just need internet in your house, you may be able to go wireless with a suitable router. This approach will not work with all TV or the associated tuners.
Hope this helps, send me a PM if you would like to discuss the damage further.
Also, there will be a variation in the quality of work you get, as most of the electrical companies use sub contractors, some very good, some not so good.

JoelJohnson 01-31-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougjb (Post 1714372)
I recently bought an older previously owned home in the Villages. Perhaps the last owner, perhaps someone earlier than them altered the internal in house wiring of the internet cables to the point they are unusable. My question is: who do I hire to replace/repair them? Electrician/cable professional? I have not a clue. Thank you in advance.

I little more info would help.

karostay 01-31-2020 05:56 PM

Just call your cable provider

n8xwb 01-31-2020 10:12 PM

Give Paul a call at (352) 255-5211. He put in cable for my surround sound ... Good luck!

retiredguy123 02-01-2020 07:17 AM

I would call the cable TV provider to determine where you need to run the cable. You may be able to use wireless cable boxes in some locations. Also, you want to select a good location for the modem/router. I don't think most cable TV providers will install cables inside your house, especially if you want to run the cable in the wall. When hiring an electrician, it is better to hire one who specializes in coax cable installation because it is very different from regular house wiring. Good luck.

dewilson58 02-01-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1714438)
Just call your cable provider

Agree. They will confirm signal quality to the house and then to your outlets within the house. They will only fix issues outside the house, but this will identify the location of the issue FREE OF CHARGE.

CoachKandSportsguy 02-01-2020 09:12 AM

Get rid of the cable box and cable wiring. Go with a smart tv, roku and streaming tv. you get more options and still will have tv as long as you have the internet, and you can switch add subtract streaming packages at will

cable boxes are the next buggy whips and typewriters

Mmarr 02-02-2020 06:23 AM

Cable history..antenna plus Amazon fire stick.. live stream every channel..even the redzone as needed through external tv

J1ceasar 02-02-2020 08:08 AM

Good response . nothing more to be said!!!

OhioBuckeye 02-02-2020 08:39 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

I would think you should call cable TV company. If it isn’t electrical I wouldn’t think an electrician would fix a TV that’s getting electricity or the cable company would come in & see why one of your appliances isn’t getting electricity. That’s about as simple as I can explain it. Good Luck!

nancyre 02-02-2020 09:33 AM

Internet cables

Quote:

Before you go to far - check the box in the garage where the cables start. Make sure they are plugged in / connected. I currently only have I run turned on in my home, not all it may be that simple.

Nucky 02-03-2020 06:06 PM

The couple who hosted the Super Bowl party have Comcast for their primary TV supplier because they just singned up for them when they moved here and had them in the North before.

At the beginning of the 3rd quarter boom :boom::boom: boom. Comcarap crapped out on them with a house full of people half watching the 65 inch TV in the living room and the other watching the coolest 140 inch protection TV in the Theatre. The Comcast CONTRACTOR not a COMPANY PERSON was there for 3 hours running wires the day before.

Within 10 minutes I brought my backup Roku Stick signed onto my account to thunderous applause of all in attendance. I put that baby in the glove compartment of the Golf Cart when we left just in case. They are the nicest people and I'm sorry to see them get so upset like they did. Some people bailed out and went home the minute it happened which worked out just fine. More room and grub for us.

I thought I was screwed and the Roku wasn't gonna work cause under pressure I forgot the hit the Caps Lock when entering my Pass a Word. What a great time.

Nucky 02-03-2020 06:09 PM

Get rid of Comcast. Best advice you'll get in 2020.