Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Meteorite? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/meteorite-302435/)

Markam 02-02-2020 12:02 PM

Meteorite?

While trimming my shrubs the other day, I found where a small, 'stone like' object had gone thru the screen and broken the outside layer of one of my thermopane windows. It dropped to the bottom of the window, between the screen and remaining layer of glass where it remains. It is about 1/4 the size of a golf ball.

I don't have any landscaping stone on my property. Nor does it appear to be a like any landscaping stone on any of my surrounding neighbors' property so I doubt if it would have been propelled by a lawn mower.

While the idea of it actually being a meteorite seems a little 'far-fetched', it does seem plausible. So, I'm trying to get in contact with a Villager who might be able to tell if it is a meteorite or not. If you can help, please send a PM to me.

Thanks.

TimeForChange 02-02-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markam (Post 1714979)
While trimming my shrubs the other day, I found where a small, 'stone like' object had gone thru the screen and broken the outside layer of one of my thermopane windows. It dropped to the bottom of the window, between the screen and remaining layer of glass where it remains. It is about 1/4 the size of a golf ball.

I don't have any landscaping stone on my property. Nor does it appear to be a like any landscaping stone on any of my surrounding neighbors' property so I doubt if it would have been propelled by a lawn mower.

While the idea of it actually being a meteorite seems a little 'far-fetched', it does seem plausible. So, I'm trying to get in contact with a Villager who might be able to tell if it is a meteorite or not. If you can help, please send a PM to me.

Thanks.

Lawn edger's and weed eaters are notorious for slinging rocks, chipping curbs etc. It may well not be from your lawn but another close by. I once had the back window of my car completely shattered by an edger doing work on a busy street. I thought I had been shot at it made such a noise. I would post a photo of the object and get some feedback.

karostay 02-02-2020 01:42 PM

It's amazing what you find after the landscapers leave..
They mow 100's of lawns and my opinion that where weeds and different types of grass spread from home to home

Taltarzac725 02-02-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

This might help. Does cover meteorites.
Fireball FAQs - American Meteor Society

Fireball FAQs - American Meteor Society

retiredguy123 02-02-2020 04:23 PM

Was there a dinosaur bone nearby?

golfing eagles 02-03-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Anything is possible, but...…

Because meteorites are more common, as these things go anyway, we looked at the chances of your house being struck by a meteorite. We found that your house has a 1 in 2,196,267,379,587 (that’s trillion, fyi) chance of being struck by a meteorite.

I would imagine the odds of a rock being thrown by landscaping equipment are substantially less

Nucky 02-03-2020 05:34 PM

Maybe it was Kryptonite? :super::super::super::1rotfl:

CWGUY 02-03-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1715303)
Maybe it was Kryptonite? :super::super::super::1rotfl:

:super: CLARK ARE YOU STARTING TO FEEL WEAK? :icon_wink:

Nucky 02-03-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1715304)
:super: CLARK ARE YOU STARTING TO FEEL WEAK? :icon_wink:

It’s documented on th NOTHING thread. Been weak for more than a week. Take care of things Mr. White. 😂 lol

CWGUY 02-03-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1715339)
It’s documented on th NOTHING thread. Been weak for more than a week. Take care of things Mr. White. 😂 lol

;) Don't call me Chief!

dewilson58 02-04-2020 08:13 AM

An Egret passed a kidney stone while flying by your home. Happens all the time.

duhbear 02-09-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1715402)
An Egret passed a kidney stone while flying by your home. Happens all the time.

How fast was the kidney stone flying when the egret passed it?:icon_wink:

JackRussell 02-18-2020 09:39 PM

If it's magnetic, it's a meteorite. If it's not magnetic, it's a stone.

Chi-Town 02-18-2020 10:45 PM

How to Tell if the Rock You Found Might Be a Meteorite: 11 Steps

Gigi3000 02-19-2020 04:36 AM

This thread has me on the edge of my seat. Well, is it magnetic?