Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Earth Fare (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/earth-fare-302455/)

bagboy 02-03-2020 12:21 PM

Earth Fare

It seems that Earth Fare will not be opening behind Miller Ale House.

NC-based supermarket Earth Fare to close all locations | WWAY TV

Two Bills 02-03-2020 12:33 PM

They have not been Faring very well recently!:icon_wink:

billethkid 02-03-2020 12:57 PM

Great location for Trader Joe's or a micro Costco (:)).

JerryLBell 02-03-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1715230)
Great location for Trader Joe's or a micro Costco (:)).

I don't know about a micro Costco but I think the Trader Joe's idea is a great one. I hope Trade Joe's thinks so, too.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-03-2020 02:34 PM

Or a Whole Foods. Earthfare seemed like a perfect choice. I was looking forward to checking them out. Very disappointed.

chrisinva 02-03-2020 02:44 PM

a bit more detail Earth Fare to close all its stores, including in Orlando - Orlando Sentinel

Bjeanj 02-03-2020 04:32 PM

I think it’s so odd that they could not have foreseen this before starting to build a new store. That’s too bad.

CWGUY 02-03-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1715290)
I think it’s so odd that they could not have foreseen this before starting to build a new store. That’s too bad.

:ohdear: This could in part explain why they are going out of business. :oops:

patfla06 02-03-2020 10:33 PM

Earthfare

Earthfare announced today they will be closing all their stores.
They never even finished their store on 441.

I was looking forward to having a store with healthy choices.

Mmarr 02-04-2020 05:44 AM

Feel sorry for the developer..
Let's go with a neighborhood Walmart..the one in Colony is the best...

ALadysMom 02-04-2020 08:08 AM

Not too surprising since the entire grocery sector is in turmoil. Disappointed that there won’t be another grocer there, at least for now.

Bgsu4me 02-04-2020 08:40 AM

Would love to see a Sprouts in that location!

jarodrig 02-04-2020 09:00 AM

Had they opened, they wouldn’t have made it financially......

whitevibe 02-04-2020 09:08 AM

neighborhood Wal-Mart

Good idea but Sams Club a stones throw though

Aloha1 02-04-2020 09:14 AM

My guess is there will be an announcement before long of a replacement tenant. Too good a property to remain vacant and a heck of a deal for another retailer like Whole Foods.

I would not expect a Neighborhood Walmart as the site is too close to the existing Walmart and Sam's.

jackiez45 02-04-2020 09:44 AM

Earthfare

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1715216)
They have not been Faring very well recently!:icon_wink:

I think a Trader Joe's, Sprouts or Wegman's would be fantastic in that spot.

Bogie Shooter 02-04-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmarr (Post 1715364)

Who is the Developer?

Charlie.hanf 02-04-2020 10:14 AM

Trader Joe's would be perfect

John_W 02-04-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackiez45 (Post 1715440)
I think a Trader Joe's, Sprouts or Wegman's would be fantastic in that spot.

Wegman's southern most store is in Raleigh, NC and it's the only store in North Carolina, but Virginia has several locations. They would be at a disadvantage for distribution and district management. In addition the Earth Fare that was under construction was to be 24,000 square feet, Wegmans are 75,000 to 140,000 square feet.

Trader Joe's average about 15,000 square feet, that would be an additonal 9,000 square feet they would have to sub-lease or figure out a use. Also they're owned by the same company as Aldis, there is one five miles north on 441, that might be a consideration or maybe the Lady Lake area is far enough away. They do cross over somewhat in shoppers. A larger Trader's Joe's makes a lot of sense since this area lacks any TJ's.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2...unds&auto=webp

njbchbum 02-04-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aloha1 (Post 1715428)
My guess is there will be an announcement before long of a replacement tenant. Too good a property to remain vacant and a heck of a deal for another retailer like Whole Foods.

I would not expect a Neighborhood Walmart as the site is too close to the existing Walmart and Sam's.

"Neighborhood Walmart" totally different concept than Sam's Wholesale! More like the grocery section of a Super Walmart. Take a ride to check out the neighborhood Walmart opposite Colony shopping center.

John_W 02-04-2020 10:51 AM

From the Villages News February 3, 2020

The developer, the Benchmark Group of New York, was said to be surprised by Earth Fare’s sudden announcement. However, Benchmark has a long relationship with the town and had brought in a great deal of successful retailers, including Best Buy, Sam’s Club, SteinMart and Kohl’s, as well as restaurants, such as Longhorn Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse and Sweet Tomatoes.

The mayor said these types of sudden closures are to be expected in the business world. But when one door closes, others can open, he said.

Villagers have long expressed their desire for a Trader Joe’s.
“That could be a great spot for Trader Joe’s,” he said.

Villagers for many years have been clamoring for a Trader Joe’s, which offers a “fresh format” grocery shopping experience.

Meanwhile, the news of the closures came as a shock to Earth Fare employees in Ocala.

“Earth Fare has been proud to serve the natural and organic grocery market, and the decision to begin the process of closing our stores was not entered into lightly,” the company said in a press release. “We’d like to thank our Team Members for their commitment and dedication to serving our customers, and our vendors and suppliers for their partnership.”

The company cited “financial stress” as the reason for shutting down.

“While many of these initiatives improved the business, continued challenges in the retail industry impeded the company’s progress as well as its ability to refinance its debt. As a result, Earth Fare is not in a financial position to continue to operate on a go forward basis,” the company explained in a release. “As such, we have made the difficult, but necessary decision to commence inventory liquidation sales while we continue to engage in a process to find potential suitors for our stores.”

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-04-2020 07:34 PM

Just an FYI to John W: Aldis and Trader Joes are not owned by the same company. They operate independently, one owned by Aldi Sud and one owned by Aldi Nord - two different companies. They started out as ONLY Aldi's, in Germany, with two brothers. But the brothers split up before Aldi's came to the USA (thus, Sud and Nord). Just a little summary of some dumb Trader Joe trivia :)

asianthree 02-04-2020 07:40 PM

We go to Gainesville every three weeks. So TJs shopping is done. Up north we have 3 TJs within 15 miles. We shop weekly there. Just not a fan of Aldi

Villageswimmer 02-04-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1715463)
From the Villages News February 3, 2020

The developer, the Benchmark Group of New York, was said to be surprised by Earth Fare’s sudden announcement. However, Benchmark has a long relationship with the town and had brought in a great deal of successful retailers, including Best Buy, Sam’s Club, SteinMart and Kohl’s, as well as restaurants, such as Longhorn Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse and Sweet Tomatoes.

The mayor said these types of sudden closures are to be expected in the business world. But when one door closes, others can open, he said.

Villagers have long expressed their desire for a Trader Joe’s.
“That could be a great spot for Trader Joe’s,” he said.

Villagers for many years have been clamoring for a Trader Joe’s, which offers a “fresh format” grocery shopping experience.

Meanwhile, the news of the closures came as a shock to Earth Fare employees in Ocala.

“Earth Fare has been proud to serve the natural and organic grocery market, and the decision to begin the process of closing our stores was not entered into lightly,” the company said in a press release. “We’d like to thank our Team Members for their commitment and dedication to serving our customers, and our vendors and suppliers for their partnership.”

The company cited “financial stress” as the reason for shutting down.

“While many of these initiatives improved the business, continued challenges in the retail industry impeded the company’s progress as well as its ability to refinance its debt. As a result, Earth Fare is not in a financial position to continue to operate on a go forward basis,” the company explained in a release. “As such, we have made the difficult, but necessary decision to commence inventory liquidation sales while we continue to engage in a process to find potential suitors for our stores.”

Who’s the mayor?

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-04-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1715556)
Who’s the mayor?

Google says...
The Lady Lake Mayor is Jim Richards, who is also the Commissioner. It is primarily a figurehead position.

valuemkt 02-04-2020 08:37 PM

When living in Atlanta, I would be at the Earth Fare several times a week until it closed. The Trader joe's was equidistant, and I went there a few times a year. Trader joe's has neither the produce nor the fresh meat and seafood to compare to Earth Fare. Never understood the cult following of Trader Joe's ..

MareL 02-04-2020 09:00 PM

"I would not expect a Neighborhood Walmart as the site is too close to the existing Walmart and Sam's"

We could sure use a Neighborhood Walmart down below CR44 near Fenney instead of
ANOTHER Publix.

:bigbow:

John_W 02-04-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1715554)
Just an FYI to John W: Aldis and Trader Joes are not owned by the same company. They operate independently, one owned by Aldi Sud and one owned by Aldi Nord - two different companies. They started out as ONLY Aldi's, in Germany, with two brothers. But the brothers split up before Aldi's came to the USA (thus, Sud and Nord). Just a little summary of some dumb Trader Joe trivia :)

Meet the Albrechts, heirs to the Aldi and Trader Joe'''s empire - Business Insider

Trader Joe's and ALDI. Owned by a German company called Albrecht Discounts, ALDI is a discount grocery chain that started in Germany in 1948. ... Trader Joe's, although it may be based in Southern California, is actually owned by Albrecht Discounts.

Bertram00 02-04-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MareL (Post 1715568)
"I would not expect a Neighborhood Walmart as the site is too close to the existing Walmart and Sam's"

We could sure use a Neighborhood Walmart down below CR44 near Fenney instead of
ANOTHER Publix.

:bigbow:

But mustn't all of The Villages bow to the mighty Publix?

eyc234 02-05-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie.hanf (Post 1715451)
Trader Joe's would be perfect

Trader Joe's equals Aldi, would vote for Whole Foods, Sprouts or Central Market.

milling73 02-05-2020 12:45 PM

I wish Kroger would come here.

asianthree 02-05-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyc234 (Post 1715622)
Trader Joe's equals Aldi, would vote for Whole Foods, Sprouts or Central Market.

Everyone has an opinion, mine is Aldi is not close to a TJs

LadyPenO 02-08-2020 06:44 PM

We need a Trader Joe's on S.R. 44 near Brownwood, which would place it mid-way between upper villages and southern Villages, but closer to upper section. Fenney is an up and coming extension of The Villages, and is expected to one day be as large as the upper Villages. 441 to S.R. 44 is quite a trek, especially via golf cart.