Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Visit neighbors before buying? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/visit-neighbors-before-buying-302474/)

Patents111 02-03-2020 10:28 PM

Visit neighbors before buying?

Given the population density of TV, it would seem that the neighbors adjacent or near the home you are considering to purchase could be almost as important as the actual features of the home itself.

The question then is: Did you meet any neighbors before you purchased? If you did, did it assist or influence your purchase decision? If, not, do you wish you had?

Velvet 02-03-2020 11:23 PM

Before buying, I went to the neighborhood pool where I was going to buy, over and over again and talked to people (I know some people at the pool were from other villages). I walked up and down the street I was going to buy on to get a feeling for what seemed important to my neighbors. I did actually meet 2 of my neighbors as they happened to be outside and they gave me great advice. I liked what I saw, I liked what I heard....still do.

I agree that people are as important as the amenities that come with the house or even more so. Especially when you live so close together.

Michael Charles 02-04-2020 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patents111 (Post 1715347)
Given the population density of TV, it would seem that the neighbors adjacent or near the home you are considering to purchase could be almost as important as the actual features of the home itself.

Well then if you're basing your purchase on your possible new neighbors have you considered that they may sell their home one day then who knows who might move in? Plus just because they're right next door or across the street doesn't mean they need to be your new best friends and are tied at the hip. Now, if you happen to get to know, like and respect your new neighbors you may start a very good relationship with them. Just sayin.

dewilson58 02-04-2020 07:59 AM

Did not meet before.

The reverse could happen....................the neighbors could have band together and kept me out.

ColdNoMore 02-04-2020 08:05 AM

I personally couldn't imagine, going around the neighborhood to try and gauge...whether I would like my neighbors. :oops:

I think this action would be woefully incomplete, given that I hardly think you could spend enough time to really get to know them...unless maybe you gave them a detailed survey to complete. :D

To me, buying a home this way would be analogous to buying a car...because you like the tires currently on it.

Both can change in a heartbeat and any such purchase should be based on things...a lot more substantial.
:shrug:

karostay 02-04-2020 09:12 AM

Canvas the area before you buy .You don't want to have someone who back up to your Lanai that smokes or has barking dogs

Two Bills 02-04-2020 09:38 AM

If people visited me before buying, most properties in the area would be vacant.

Bogie Shooter 02-04-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1715425)
Canvas the area before you buy .You don't want to have someone who back up to your Lanai that smokes or has barking dogs

What about drinking, cussing, political views...……………………………..canvas with a list.
Silly.

dewilson58 02-04-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1715439)
What about drinking, cussing, political views...……………………………..canvas with a list.
Silly.

And Barking Wives.

:shocked:

tophcfa 02-04-2020 10:09 AM

In my opinion location is way more important than the home itself. The primary criteria in our home search was privacy in our back yard, which we found abutting a preserve. We spent several evenings sitting in the back yards of our final two home choices before we ultimately bought our home. We are very happy with our choice, but do have one neighbor that is very disruptive with constant turnover of AIRBNB rentals. Over time neighbors will come and go, but location never changes.

Aw Man 02-04-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patents111 (Post 1715347)
The question then is:
Did you meet any neighbors before you purchased?......
If, not, do you wish you had?

No and no.
Neighbors here are like anywhere else we’ve lived, most are good, a few are bad.
But, we purposely chose a house that minimizes visual and noise level contact with neighbors, i.e., NO KISSING LANAIS !
We have close friends that loved their original neighborhood and most of their neighbors, but eventually chose to sell and move because of unbearably annoying people in a home with a kissing lanai directly behind them.

Velvet 02-04-2020 12:42 PM

I guess I was thinking that I’m joining a community, not just buying a house. But that’s just me.

ColdNoMore 02-04-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1715480)
I guess I was thinking that I’m joining a community, not just buying a house. But that’s just me.

The biggest similarity between neighbors and relatives...is that you can't choose either.

The biggest difference between them is, that neighbors typically change...a lot more frequently.

PersonalChoice 02-04-2020 01:54 PM

Don't let the "kissing lanai" scare you off. We have wonderful neighbors.

Patents111 02-04-2020 06:29 PM

I appreciate your thoughtful and whimsical replies. It does clarify things greatly!