Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Pain after surgery - experience and treatment? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/pain-after-surgery-experience-treatment-302535/)

mbk06 02-05-2020 04:05 PM

Pain after surgery - experience and treatment?

I plan to have foot surgery for a severe bunion, with bone slicing, bone relocation, plates, screws, 6 weeks off my feet. Tri County Foot will do it. I have a very low pain tolerance. I already know Tylenol won't cut it. I am nervous about pain control afterwards, with the state limiting pain pills to 3 days. If you're lucky, your doctor might give you 4 more days (up to 7 total, I think). So I am worried I will have it done and then suffer in agony for days or weeks. Anyone else worry before a procedure? Or postpone an elective procedure b/c of the law? What was your experience after recent surgery (any type of surgery) with the new law? Were you kept comfortable by your doctor? Was he/she indifferent to your pain?

Chatbrat 02-05-2020 04:44 PM

Tylenol-does nothing for pain--its good for a cold-

mbk06 02-05-2020 05:10 PM

Agree! But the doctors now are saying that's the course of treatment after surgery. My grown son had pretty intensive oral surgery last year into the bone and that's all the advice he got. Hadn't seen him cry since he was little until that happened. It was awful seeing him go through days of intense pain. And it makes me very leery, especially when doctors brush off the concern.

vintageogauge 02-05-2020 05:31 PM

My sister-in-law had that done and if I'm not mistaken they gave her injections at the surgery site for pain. Also try researching medical cannabis, they might have some sort of brew that will help with the pain.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-05-2020 07:54 PM

You can get up to 7 days in a single prescription as long as both you and the surgeon comply with a set of rules (which he should know about already). I'm also not seeing anywhere in the statute, that says a *new* prescription can't be written for someone who has finished their non-refillable 3-day (or 7-day) prescription. You might look into that, perhaps the law only pertains to refills or initial prescriptions - and not to additional prescriptions for the same surgery recovery period. I wasn't able to tell, maybe I missed a line in the text. Here it is:
Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

VILLAGERBB 02-11-2020 07:19 PM

Foot Surgery

Ibuprofen is more effective for pain than Acetaminophen. Be sure to ask your doctor about what pain meds he/she will prescribe BEFORE you have the procedure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbk06 (Post 1715733)
I plan to have foot surgery for a severe bunion, with bone slicing, bone relocation, plates, screws, 6 weeks off my feet. Tri County Foot will do it. I have a very low pain tolerance. I already know Tylenol won't cut it. I am nervous about pain control afterwards, with the state limiting pain pills to 3 days. If you're lucky, your doctor might give you 4 more days (up to 7 total, I think). So I am worried I will have it done and then suffer in agony for days or weeks. Anyone else worry before a procedure? Or postpone an elective procedure b/c of the law? What was your experience after recent surgery (any type of surgery) with the new law? Were you kept comfortable by your doctor? Was he/she indifferent to your pain?

Jerseygirl08 02-12-2020 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB (Post 1717324)
Ibuprofen is more effective for pain than Acetaminophen. Be sure to ask your doctor about what pain meds he/she will prescribe BEFORE you have the procedure.

Very good advice. ALWAYS get the prescription filled before surgery since you are always sent home 5 hrs. after your last pain pill. Never fails. And great advice for medicinal CBD/THC. You can get ointment to put on your foot, pills, tincture for under your tongue. Do you have a friend with a medical MJ card? The local businesses who are selling CBD oil are selling very very low mg. oil which is really a waste of money. Must get it from one of the three clinics here in TV. For pain the dose is 1:4, one part CBD to 4 parts THC. Why do I know all of this? I have a friend who has suffered for a decade with severe back pain and the only relief for my friend has been CBD/THC medicinal MJ. Good luck. It sounds like your surgery will be quite extensive.

mbk06 02-12-2020 09:25 AM

Yes I have a friend with MMJ so that's not a problem although I don't know what to buy for this? I know there are a lot of strains, etc. Also, the dr I assume will give a 3 day script as you leave the surgery center but I couldn't get a definite promise, more of a vague "you might be OK with just Tylenol" so that makes me think he will make me at least TRY the first few days on no pain killers and only prescribe after that time if I am insistent. How do I make sure he promises and delivers? I have a sister who had a hysterectomy and she made her dr promise to keep her out of pain in the few days after she woke up, and when she woke up, there was no pain meds anywhere and nurses wouldn't give any and she was REALLY angry about the experience. Still remembers how bad it was and wanted to sue.