Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Golf cart stopped for speeding on St. Charles (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-cart-stopped-speeding-st-charles-302551/)

Chatbrat 02-06-2020 08:53 AM

Golf cart stopped for speeding on St. Charles

The same Sumter County deputy who stopped my wife for speeding on St Charles about a month ago, stopped a golf cart yesterday-my wife was lucky she got a warning, if the golf cart driver isn't as lucky as she was--its going to cost him big $$$

So if your cart can exceed 20 mph, be very careful on St Charles

karostay 02-06-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1715866)
The same Sumter County deputy who stopped my wife for speeding on St Charles about a month ago, stopped a golf cart yesterday-my wife was lucky she got a warning, if the golf cart driver isn't as lucky as she was--its going to cost him big $$$

So if your cart can exceed 20 mph, be very careful on St
Charles

:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow: Hope they pull over more no warnings write tickets

golfing eagles 02-06-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1715877)
:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow: Hope they pull over more no warnings write tickets

Why? I personally don't see the capital offense in driving a cart at 20.1 mph, while it is getting passed by a car going 45 and hanging 2 feet over the white line. Can anyone spell "fundraiser"?

Chatbrat 02-06-2020 09:33 AM

I have too agree with the term "fundraiser" the old term "9 you're fine" , "10 you're mine"--in Fl more than 9 mph over the speed limit is when the bigger $$ kicks in--

dewilson58 02-06-2020 09:41 AM

Hey Chat...............was the officer following your wife or was he/she doing radar??

Chatbrat 02-06-2020 09:59 AM

She was driving a service loaner, a really big SUV, which she hates--the LEO was in the opposite direction he did a U-turn & pulled her over-- he was using radar--it can get U coming or going

dewilson58 02-06-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1715894)
She was driving a service loaner, a really big SUV, which she hates--the LEO was in the opposite direction he did a U-turn & pulled her over-- he was using radar--it can get U coming or going

a u-turn......must not have used his lights for a while.

John_W 02-06-2020 10:20 AM

When the cops set up, they're usually a little further up on Baileys Trail by Cane Garden. They park by the pump house near the first hole on Allamanda nine. Back in December they were set up all along that area for a week or two. I dialed my cart back a couple of years ago, I had it sped up for about five years. I found it didn't really make that big a deal taking five minutes more to get somewhere. Think about it, if you have an accident do you want to risk your insurance being voided.

As Chatbrat said, it's expensive. It's not a speeding ticket, since you're no longer operating in the state of Florida prescribed as a golf cart, you'll given a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle. Since you're going over 20mph, they consider you should been licensed. I believe the final tally will be about $450 in costs. You'll have to get a letter from a licensed mechanic that your cart was dialed back to to cart speed. You'll need to go to court in Bushnell and if you make the mistake up showing up in shorts, even at 10am, your case will be pushed to the end of the day, about 4:30.

This was in the Villages News online paper. Serious accident first week of the year 2020 in the Village of Winifred. A 70 year old villager drove in front of an SUV, he had to be airlifted to Ocala Regional. They write, the sheriff's office said there were 29 golf cart crashes in the Sumter County portion of The Villages in the final quarter of 2019. Eighteen tickets were issued that same quarter to golf cart operators.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d5&oe=5EBC8848

Chatbrat 02-06-2020 10:35 AM

Besides having an unregistered vehicle, they can add on, uninsured vehicle, lacking proper equipment--seat belts, wipers & speeding--they can be very creative--I've heard of persons paying in excess of $1200

JSR22 02-06-2020 11:02 AM

Golf cart speeding

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1715912)
Besides having an unregistered vehicle, they can add on, uninsured vehicle, lacking proper equipment--seat belts, wipers & speeding--they can be very creative--I've heard of persons paying in excess of $1200

I know 2 people who were ticketed for golf cart speeding. The fines came in under $500

Laker14 02-06-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1715921)
I know 2 people who were ticketed for golf cart speeding. The fines came in under $500

do you know how fast they were going?

JSR22 02-06-2020 11:19 AM

Close to 30.

karostay 02-06-2020 11:52 AM

Breaking the law is breaking the law whats not to understand
People have their own set of rules to live by

golfing eagles 02-06-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1715937)
Breaking the law is breaking the law whats not to understand
People have their own set of rules to live by

Some laws make more sense than others.

For example, in Kansas, the law states when two trains approach each other, both must stop and NEITHER may start until the other one does:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

karostay 02-06-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1715940)
Some laws make more sense than others.

For example, in Kansas, the law states when two trains approach each other, both must stop and NEITHER may start until the other one does:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Your not in Kansas any longer