Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Robo call blockers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/robo-call-blockers-302618/)

Jdmiata 02-07-2020 05:12 PM

Robo call blockers

Any recommendations on the best one ?
I have a landline with Century Link.

CWGUY 02-07-2020 05:31 PM

:shrug: Am I the only one that wonders..... if they could put men on the moon 50 years ago WHY can't they stop unwanted robo calls? :popcorn:

John_W 02-07-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmiata (Post 1716267)
Any recommendations on the best one ?
I have a landline with Century Link.

I have Century Link for 8 years. Nomoromo doesn't work with Century Link. I had them add a 'call block' feature but it only holds 12 numbers. I had to keep a list of the numbers and I was constantly removing numbers to add the latest. I bought a Panasonic phone from Walmart three years ago that can block up to 250 numbers. I've had to clear it out twice so far and now I'm on my third set of 250, but it does take about a year before it's full. The phone also has an answering machine and two extensions, it was about $75 for the 3 phones.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-07-2020 05:56 PM

Suggestion for people with the ability to block a limited number of calls: do that - and at the end of each year, delete any numbers that haven't tried to call you in the last 6 months. And then, every month, delete the oldest month's worth from that point.

For Century Link subscribers - you're limited. But here's this from the FCC:

Quote:

The national Do Not Call list protects landline and wireless phone numbers. You can register your numbers on the national Do Not Call list at no cost by calling 1-888-382-1222 (voice) or 1-866-290-4236 (TTY). You must call from the phone number you wish to register.
It doesn't block ALL robocalls but it reduces them significantly.

John_W 02-07-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1716281)
...For Century Link subscribers - you're limited. But here's this from the FCC:

It doesn't block ALL robocalls but it reduces them significantly.

I've been on the do not call list for 10 years, and still block 250 numbers a year. That list is useless. Get a phone like I have and block up to 250 numbers, or lose your home phone and go with a cell phone only, which is what most people have done. Funny thing, my cell phone might get 1 solicitor call a week. My home phone gets 3 to 6 everyday. That's what being in the phone book will get you.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-07-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1716330)
I've been on the do not call list for 10 years, and still block 250 numbers a year. That list is useless. Get a phone like I have and block up to 250 numbers, or lose your home phone and go with a cell phone only, which is what most people have done. Funny thing, my cell phone might get 1 solicitor call a week. My home phone gets 3 to 6 everyday. That's what being in the phone book will get you.

How to Stop Unsolicited Robocalls to Your Home – Xfinity

But that's only if you have xfinity landline (which is actually VoIP and not a true landline). We were getting around 6-8 calls a day til we signed up for that. It dwindled down to around 5-6 per week, by the time we moved out of state.

Now we don't have landline at all, and I get around 10 telemarketer/robo/scam/spam calls a week on my cell.

rmd2 02-08-2020 05:28 AM

[QUOTE=OrangeBlossomBaby
But that's only if you have [B]xfinity landline (which is actually VoIP and not a true landline)[/B]. We were getting around 6-8 calls a day til we signed up for that. It dwindled down to around 5-6 per week, by the time we moved out of state.

What is this VolP vs landline? I have never heard of this. Thanks for any info.

Earlride 02-08-2020 06:42 AM

Blocking Robo Calls

I use HiYa Premium on my iPhone and I also select "Do not announce Unknown Callers". This works well.

ShafJack 02-08-2020 06:58 AM

There are alot on new phones that have a call blocker in them and they Work great! Mine screens the call and asks for a name. Haven’t had a robocall since

Rwquint 02-08-2020 06:59 AM

Robo calls

If you have an iPhone you can go into contacts select phone there you mute calls not in your contacts or recently called. The calls still happen but the phone doesn’t ring. It has worked great for me

Annie66 02-08-2020 07:30 AM

We have a Sentry Call Blocker Model CT-CID868 for our land line. It works beautifully. Initially, you enter all the good numbers (family, friends and neighbors) you want to ring through to you. This is not a hard thing to do. I recall it took about 15 minutes, using the phone list on my cell phone. This creates the "white list".

For numbers not in the white list, there is a recording which tells the caller, "if you are telemarketer, hang up and take us off your list. If not, hit zero and leave a message." For calls not on the white list, we hear the phone ring once. Since we installed the call blocker, the number of single rings has gone down dramatically. In addition, if you are so inclined, you can add numbers to the "black list" (sounds a bit racists, but that is Sentry's nomenclature). For those numbers, you won't even hear the single phone ring.

The unit costs about $80.

Giorgiohazzis1948 02-08-2020 07:41 AM

Check out RoboKiller ~

elevatorman 02-08-2020 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=rmd2;1716346]
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby
But that's only if you have [B
xfinity landline (which is actually VoIP and not a true landline)[/B]. We were getting around 6-8 calls a day til we signed up for that. It dwindled down to around 5-6 per week, by the time we moved out of state.

What is this VolP vs landline? I have never heard of this. Thanks for any info.

Voice over internet protocol

John_W 02-08-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1716333)
How to Stop Unsolicited Robocalls to Your Home – Xfinity

But that's only if you have xfinity landline (which is actually VoIP and not a true landline). We were getting around 6-8 calls a day til we signed up for that. It dwindled down to around 5-6 per week, by the time we moved out of state.

Now we don't have landline at all, and I get around 10 telemarketer/robo/scam/spam calls a week on my cell.

I don't have a Xfinity landline (Comcrap) I have Century Link and nomoromo is not available for that service. Do not call list I've signed up here and in Maryland, two states and it provides no protection. The call block feature that Century Link offers will only store 12 numbers, been there, done that. Buying a phone with a built-in feature such as the Panasonic I have and can handle 250 numbers is the only answer short of getting rid of your homephone.

Two Bills 02-08-2020 10:12 AM

I wonder what system 'Robo callers' use, to stop Robo calls when they are not working?