Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Horrible drivers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/horrible-drivers-302626/)

pdfortin 02-07-2020 07:01 PM

Horrible drivers

OK, been here a little over 2.5 years and what we notice the most is the horrible drivers that LIVE IN THE VILLAGES !!! <Look>, it is very simple, you must look behind you, to the left, to the right , and yet again when driving your car OR golf cart. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY just because you are backing up from the mail box or anywhere else. If you are entering traffic oncoming, YOU need to stop. One of these days I will keep going and let you poor drivers hit me. It will not end well for you. This is from the Calumet area. For sure it is everywhere. YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE ON THE ROAD!! Anyone else tired of these poor drivers thinking they own the street?

Fredman 02-07-2020 07:12 PM

Sounds like a bitter generalization

Rango 02-07-2020 07:12 PM

:popcorn:

asianthree 02-07-2020 07:30 PM

Try going out of the bubble, there are bad drivers everywhere you live. We drive our car 4,000 miles a year, when we work up north. In that 6 mile drive I can see the same amount of issues that you see in TV

tophcfa 02-07-2020 08:03 PM

There are lots of old people still driving that shouldn't be. It's a hard thing to give up.

Jima64 02-07-2020 08:04 PM

Sounds like you are around a lot of Cape Cod drivers.

Laker14 02-07-2020 09:56 PM

When I first got here a few years ago I was very nervous on the roundabouts. At one point someone blared the horn at me. I'm sure I was doing something wrong. Not sure what it was, at the time.
I'm used to them now, and know what I'm doing, but I am very careful about other drivers, knowing that some of them are certainly as clueless as I was a few years ago.
I was having this conversation with my wife just the other day, chauffeuring her and a friend, when on a roundabout I noticed a car in the outside lane ( I had the inside lane as I was going to take the third exit) looking a bit uncertain. When it came to the exit it should have taken, it didn't, meaning that I was lined up for my exit from the inside lane, and it was to my right in the outside lane and I was pretty sure it wasn't going to take the exit. I was right. I had slowed down so it could get ahead of me, and sure enough, it proceeded to take another lap around the track. I exited behind it.
The point being, a bit of patience and understanding is important. Most villagers were newbies once upon a time. Things go more smoothly and safely if we remember that and aren't impatient drivers. Especially on the roundabouts.

Jdmiata 02-07-2020 10:10 PM

Bad drivers are everywhere. We have more than our share as we have the older people. Many of which should not be driving.

dougjb 02-08-2020 05:53 AM

My first landlord in The Villages told me one thing that stuck with me. NEVER be in a hurry in the Villages. It will not end well if you do. Instead, always yield the right of way. Take your time. Breath deep. And Smile. This is a wonderful place to live and ...if you NEVER be in a hurry!

djrudd 02-08-2020 06:00 AM

Roundabouts

Treat roundabouts like a red light. Yo cannot go left from the outside lane. You may go right or straight.

Kgray0526 02-08-2020 06:42 AM

Absolutely! It’s also ridiculous that turn signals, stop signs and yielding are optional!

karostay 02-08-2020 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kgray0526 (Post 1716360)
Absolutely! It’s also ridiculous that turn signals, stop signs and yielding are optional!

Sure this post isn't talking about Villagers on bicycles

TOMMY D 02-08-2020 06:57 AM

Driving skills

The poor driving skills people have here are probably the same ones they had where ever they lived. Always tell my wife when driving to be prepared for stupid actions of others Learned this when only here the second week when on 301 we were t-boned and rear ended because of woman stopped dead in the middle of the road for paper. To make things even worse I pulled into the breakdown lane and put my flashers on. Three stupid actions in one day.:pray:

IUFAN 02-08-2020 07:27 AM

Oh yes, I travel on 441 a lot. People from right lane cut over 3 lanes barely missing others while attempting to get there to the turning lane.

bmit16 02-08-2020 07:40 AM

Its not limited to driving. They are just in their own world. I got hit 3 times yesterday in Walmart by people exiting an aisle pushing a basket blindly onto the end aisle. They just come barreling out full blast and hit me in the hip. 3 times, 3 different idiots.