Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Mold on Kenmore refrigerator ice/water dispenser (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/mold-kenmore-refrigerator-ice-water-dispenser-302720/)

Reenny 02-11-2020 08:10 AM

Mold on Kenmore refrigerator ice/water dispenser

2 Attachment(s)
We have a Kenmore refrigerator that came with our villa, which was built in 2011. We are having a problem with mold around the water/ice dispenser and display frame (see pictures). We continually clean it with vinegar solution but it keeps returning. Just wondering if anyone else has noted a similar problem and knows how to stop it. Thanks!

mulligan 02-11-2020 08:59 AM

I'd bet that door is loaded with mold, possibly from a leak inside.

Two Bills 02-11-2020 09:57 AM

Personally, I would get a new fridge.

dewilson58 02-11-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1717171)

Agree.

This is a significant issue at restaurants and their ice makers.

karostay 02-11-2020 11:38 AM

Spay mixture of water with Clorox Kills mold and sanitizes

New Englander 02-11-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

That makes perfect sense. I would get a new refrigerator.

Chatbrat 02-11-2020 02:40 PM

Are U sure its mold, looks like iron/rust deposits--color appears orange not black--use CLR diluted 50/50

karostay 02-11-2020 03:11 PM

Looks like pink mold a moisture condition spray with Clorox and water watch it disappear

Reenny 02-11-2020 06:57 PM

Thank you all for your helpful comments. Much appreciated!

glomonac 02-11-2020 08:27 PM

You have a leak by your ice maker. Either shut the ice maker off or shut the water to it and see the difference. You may just need to remove the ice maker and put it back. I've seen this many times.

OhioBuckeye 02-12-2020 08:03 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

You’re probably right mulligan! Hate to sound negative but the builders put such cheap Kenmore crap in these homes to sell them at such a big profit. Don’t know why they can’t put at least a middle of the road appliances in them. These homes should last at least 10 yrs. with no issue, & yes I know you can get one lemon once in a while but I don’t think I’ve ever talked to someone that hasn’t had a big problem in a 5 yr. old home. Sorry to hit a sour note with TV but we paid a lot money to by a new home not a fixer upper! Good luck mulligan.

greenflash245 02-12-2020 08:30 AM

go new. save the guess work

vintageogauge 02-12-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye (Post 1717414)
You’re probably right mulligan! Hate to sound negative but the builders put such cheap Kenmore crap in these homes to sell them at such a big profit. Don’t know why they can’t put at least a middle of the road appliances in them. These homes should last at least 10 yrs. with no issue, & yes I know you can get one lemon once in a while but I don’t think I’ve ever talked to someone that hasn’t had a big problem in a 5 yr. old home. Sorry to hit a sour note with TV but we paid a lot money to by a new home not a fixer upper! Good luck mulligan.

They are now installing Samsung appliances in new construction, even in the lowest priced homes.

rsibole 02-12-2020 09:33 AM

Actually, bleach only removes the stain created by mold but does not kill it, which is why is always comes back and needs to be re-treated. Hydrogen Peroxide dissolves the protective cell surrounding mold, which dehydrates it and it dies. Mold only survives with water, which it can hold internally for years until there is an external source allowing it to grow and spread. The visible black stain is the mold waste product, the actual mold is invisible to the naked eye. By the time a stain is visible the mold colony contains billions of cells, which become airborne to feed on any moist organic surface, and also aspirated into your lungs. Molds also “breathe” mycotoxins, or gas, into the air which cause health problems. Not all mold is dangerous to humans but Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, Alternaria, and Trichoderma are the most to be concern about in the home.

virtue51 02-12-2020 11:02 AM

Call refrigerator appliance repair -- I had an issue with refrigerator in NJ and they replaced a part. No need to purchase a new refrigerator.