Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Automotive Private Sale Taxes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/automotive-private-sale-taxes-302738/)

rcpds 02-11-2020 06:58 PM

Automotive Private Sale Taxes

How do the automotive taxes work when you purchase via a private sale. I'm assuming it's when you register but how is the amount based ?

Topspinmo 02-11-2020 07:15 PM

You can google, I did but lost the link when my computer crashed. If I remember correctly you tags stay with you and you are charged transfer fee for price difference based on how many months or years you got left on you’re tag. google for the correct information? We are close to getting new vehicle also. Awaiting Ford Bronco see if we like it, if not probably be honda passport.

retiredguy123 02-11-2020 07:39 PM

If you have a valid Florida registration and plate, you can transfer it to another vehicle (new or used) for about $46. But, if you need to get a new Florida registration and plate, it will cost you about $300. If you buy a new vehicle, the sales tax is 6 percent plus $50. But if you trade in your old vehicle, you can deduct the trade in value from the new vehicle price before calculating the sales tax. I don't think there is a sales tax required when you buy a used car from a private individual. If you need a Florida title for a new vehicle or for an out-of-state vehicle, the cost is about $86.

villagetinker 02-11-2020 08:25 PM

Go to Sumter County office (Pinellas Plaza), the office you want is at the end of the hall away from the library, and ask them.

blueash 02-11-2020 10:17 PM

If you use google and search for sales tax private sale auto florida you will find the link to
Buying from a Private Sale - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

where is clearly tells you that the local bureau will collect the sales tax from you based on the sales price of the car when you attempt to get it titled and registered.

Quote:

The buyer must complete an Application for Certificate of Title with/without Registration form, attach it to the title and submit to a motor vehicle service center to transfer the title into their name. The purchase price does not include sales tax or tag and title fees. Expect to pay these fees to a local motor vehicle service center when transferring ownership. This must be done within 30 calendar days to avoid a late transfer penalty fee.
I would not suggest you lie on the form as to how much you paid for the used car. The information in retired guy's post that sales tax is not due on a private sale is wrong.

retiredguy123 02-11-2020 10:30 PM

You are correct. You do need to pay sales tax on a private sale.

jacksonbrown 02-12-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1717356)
If you use google and search for sales tax private sale auto florida you will find the link to
Buying from a Private Sale - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

where is clearly tells you that the local bureau will collect the sales tax from you based on the sales price of the car when you attempt to get it titled and registered. I would not suggest you lie on the form as to how much you paid for the used car. The information in retired guy's post that sales tax is not due on a private sale is wrong.

Having just registered a vehicle that I purchased out of state, I can attest to the above.

Also, about a year ago, I sold a vehicle to a gent in another county. He asked that I sign my name to the title after showing the selling price lower than what he paid. I wouldn't do it.

dougjb 02-12-2020 08:05 AM

The Sumter County Tax Offices (where you register your car and get new plates) is among the best government offices I have ever dealt with. They are prompt. They are courteous. They are knowledgeable. Why depend on what someone feels or maybe "remembers" here rather than hearing straight from the horse's mouth. The last several years I have renewed in person. They make me take a number and make me wait for almost two minutes in one case (less than that in all other cases) before I am speaking with one of the agents. That office rocks!

retiredguy123 02-12-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougjb (Post 1717415)
The Sumter County Tax Offices (where you register your car and get new plates) is among the best government offices I have ever dealt with. They are prompt. They are courteous. They are knowledgeable. Why depend on what someone feels or maybe "remembers" here rather than hearing straight from the horse's mouth. The last several years I have renewed in person. They make me take a number and make me wait for almost two minutes in one case (less than that in all other cases) before I am speaking with one of the agents. That office rocks!

You can thank the Sumter County Tax Collector, Randy Mask. I was there one morning when they were having a little trouble getting started. A guy came up to me and shook my hand and apologized for the delay. It was Randy Mask. He told me that, since being elected, the average wait time at that office had been decreased from 4 hours down to 15 minutes.

mollypeanut 02-12-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonbrown (Post 1717403)
Having just registered a vehicle that I purchased out of state, I can attest to the above.

Also, about a year ago, I sold a vehicle to a gent in another county. He asked that I sign my name to the title after showing the selling price lower than what he paid. I wouldn't do it.

Be very careful with a private sale, ask to see the title before you purchase the vehicle.. Make sure the person selling the vehicle is actually the owner and it is not part of an estate.. Also look for a clear title.. No bank liens .. It could be a great car just take all the precautions!

greenflash245 02-12-2020 08:19 AM

tax paid on sale amount when registration changed to you as the new owner. private sale or not.

Ecuadog 02-12-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollypeanut (Post 1717421)
Be very careful with a private sale, ask to see the title before you purchase the vehicle.. Make sure the person selling the vehicle is actually the owner and it is not part of an estate.. Also look for a clear title.. No bank liens .. It could be a great car just take all the precautions!

If the vehicle is titled in Florida, you can use this link with the title number or the VIN to get more information.

Vehicle Information Check

noslices1 02-12-2020 01:16 PM

If you buy a vehicle (Car or Motorcycle) from a private party, the SELLER should remove the plate before transfer. The BUYER must go to the DMV and show the Bill of Sale/Title that has the purchase price. There is a charge for sales tax and a charge for the new license plate and Title transfer.

If you SELL a vehicle to a private party, fill out the transfer form and take it to the DMV to get the vehicle out of your name. If the buyer doesn’t do his/her part and you do not do your part, you may still be liable for anything that happens with your old vehicle. Tickets/ accidents or abandonment, towing and storage.

mollypeanut 02-12-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noslices1 (Post 1717521)
If you buy a vehicle (Car or Motorcycle) from a private party, the SELLER should remove the plate before transfer. The BUYER must go to the DMV and show the Bill of Sale/Title that has the purchase price. There is a charge for sales tax and a charge for the new license plate and Title transfer.

If you SELL a vehicle to a private party, fill out the transfer form and take it to the DMV to get the vehicle out of your name. If the buyer doesn’t do his/her part and you do not do your part, you may still be liable for anything that happens with your old vehicle. Tickets/ accidents or abandonment, towing and storage.

Absolutely!!! This is good sound advice!!

Nordy 02-12-2020 06:13 PM

in Florida when you go to register they ask for a copy of the bill of sale absent a BOS it's the honor system