Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Nuts and bolts of The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nuts-bolts-villages-139/)
-   -   Is a termite policy really needed? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nuts-bolts-villages-139/termite-policy-really-needed-302752/)

RedChariot 02-12-2020 10:58 AM

Is a termite policy really needed?

Massey estimate for their termite prevention is costly. If you include both types of termites it's higher. Plus additional yearly fee.
Do we really need this? How often do the houses here get attacked by termites? Our home is stucco built with cinder block.
Are there other companies that offer this at a better price?

Madelaine Amee 02-12-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedChariot (Post 1717478)
Massey estimate for their termite prevention is costly. If you include both types of termites it's higher. Plus additional yearly fee.
Do we really need this? How often do the houses here get attacked by termites? Our home is stucco built with cinder block.
Are there other companies that offer this at a better price?

I think there are some things you really need if you are going to live in the South and termite protection is one of those things. Shop around to get the price most acceptable to you.

karostay 02-12-2020 11:43 AM

I wouldn't buy a home that doesn't have termite coverage
If you buying a resale and the previous own has termite coverage you should be able to just continue
Most companies will tell you they can't do that.But when you tell them thanks i'll look around they most often change their tune

retiredguy123 02-12-2020 12:49 PM

I would get the subterranean termite contract only, not the other types. The builder only treats the new houses for subterranean termites. The initial termite contract on a new house is renewal annually for about 7 years before it expires. Also, you may want to get a quote from Dean's for a possible better price.

gatorbill1 02-12-2020 01:52 PM

Never seen a termite tented house in TV - been here or coming here since 1999

karostay 02-12-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 1717530)

I've seen 3 in my years here and one with termites under the sink

gatorbill1 02-12-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1717582)
I've seen 3 in my years here and one with termites under the sink

what villages???

kaydee 02-12-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Approximately 3 yrs ago there was a home tented due to termites in Glenbrook.

Leadbone1 02-13-2020 06:18 AM

I bought a house 14 months ago that Had received the Massey termite treatment A year earlier, which is supposed to be good for like seven years. A couple months after I closed Massey came to me and said if I want to continue the termite treatment, that I would owe them I think somewhere close to $150-$200 a year to continue the program. So I asked does that mean you’re going to come out and re-apply some termite protection and so forth? They said no, the additional price you pay every year is just for us to maintain an insurance policy in case something happens with termites? There would be no additional application of chemicals? I told them to forget it. At any rate I guess I still have some years left on the original treatment. I will look into chemical possibilities that I can apply myself as I had some experience with this in Ohio. It’s not rocket science

mpalazzola 02-13-2020 06:22 AM

Consider

1. It's harder to sell a house without a history of termite protection.
2. They don't come from the walls in, most come in from under the center of the house. Cabinets with plumbing go first.
3. The treatment is one year of chemistry + 4 years of insurance. They only treat the ground every 5-7 years.

Annie66 02-13-2020 07:09 AM

We use Superior Services of Central Florida (352-867-0885). If you carry their lawn service or interior pest control service, they charge a one time fee ($500) which continues year after year. It has a good termite protection plan. The first year, they inject Termidor around your foundation and repeat the process every 5 years.

mkjelenbaas 02-13-2020 07:10 AM

Call Mid Florida Pest and talk with Ronnie — have used him for years and he is reasonable and honest - call 352-748-4547. Massey is the biggest and the most expensive and I would not use. Thank you.

mkjelenbaas 02-13-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Stay away from Deans — used them and caught them in a lie where they said they were mowing my grass when I was away for six months and neighbor took pics and I showed them and they “fired” me and did not want my business!!!

ts12755 02-13-2020 07:18 AM

I have been following this for the last 40 years here in Florida. The wood of your house must be at least two inches above the Earth all around your house. So if you have two inches of separation from the Earth to where the termite would have to climb up your foundation to reach wood you're probably good .... its worked for me.

diva1 02-13-2020 07:33 AM

Must have one to sell a house. Period. If you let yours lapse it will be costly to start all over again. We use Florida Pest Control and have since we bought here in 1996; a block house. You are in Florida so yes, you need it.