Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Dogs left out unleashed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/dogs-left-out-unleashed-302768/)

Boe39 02-13-2020 08:58 AM

Dogs left out unleashed

Is it ok for a dog owner to let there dog out to go to the bathroom unleashed.

karostay 02-13-2020 08:59 AM

Really Dude ?

FenneyFanatic 02-13-2020 11:42 AM

I feel another dog poop thread coming on....

raynan 02-13-2020 12:49 PM

No it's not alright. There was a video of a guy up near Palmer CC that did that and a gator went after the dog. There are hawks and owls that swoop down on small dogs. Don't take the chance.

Fredman 02-13-2020 01:20 PM

As long as they stay in their yard and have an invisible fence i do not see a problem

Velvet 02-13-2020 01:21 PM

Well, perhaps if you have a totally enclosed backyard, and your dogs are 85 pound Rhodesian ridgebacks... maybe.

Debfrommaine 02-13-2020 01:54 PM

Quite often when I walk my dog around, there are loose dogs off leash nearby. The loose dogs then luv to come see my dog who doesn't really want to see them because he's on a leash and they are not. The drama starts but doesn't need if the other dog were leashed or under owner command which is never the case!

graciegirl 02-13-2020 02:19 PM

It is a law or a restriction or a commandment that all dogs here must be on a leash and cats too and horses and pigs and all.

I can't remember if it is a county thing or a state thing but animals must be leashed. Not so with husbands.

Polar Bear 02-13-2020 03:01 PM

Leash laws are by county. There is no State of Florida leash law.

Where I live, if a dog is on owner’s property and under direct control, a leash is not required.

tophcfa 02-13-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1717819)
As long as they stay in their yard and have an invisible fence i do not see a problem

I see a big problem with that. Invisible fences are not right, shocking a dog is not the right way to train the poor animal. We are positive reinforcement only with our dog. I want to take the owners of the dogs that use invisible fences and put the shock collar on them and drag them to the edge of their property. I am guessing they would not be too happy about that.

Topspinmo 02-13-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1717862)
I see a big problem with that. Invisible fences are not right, shocking a dog is not the right way to train the poor animal. We are positive reinforcement only with our dog. I want to take the owners of the dogs that use invisible fences and put the shock collar on them and drag them to the edge of their property. I am guessing they would not be too happy about that.

Well, there’s few that would enjoy long lost tingling down the leg :ohdear:

Debfrommaine 02-13-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1717830)
It is a law or a restriction or a commandment that all dogs here must be on a leash and cats too and horses and pigs and all.

I can't remember if it is a county thing or a state thing but animals must be leashed. Not so with husbands.

I do not want to get too far off topic but Gracie let me tell you I got a dog for my husband, it was a fair trade!

kcrazorbackfan 02-13-2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boe39 (Post 1717724)
Is it ok for a dog owner to let there dog out to go to the bathroom unleashed.

Yeah, as long as the owner isn't worried about raptors, gators, coyotes or anything else that can kill their pets.

CFrance 02-13-2020 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1717862)

Our (first) golden never got shocked with his invisible fence. If the positive training procedure is done correctly, the dog will never get shocked. He will hear a beeping sign that warns him he is close to the fence line, which during training is marked off by a line of flags six feet from the actual fence. So you take the dog, on the leash, up to the flags, hear the beep, turn him around and back off, and reward. It works a treat with retrievers. I don't know about other dogs.

That having been said, I would not use an invisible fence in TV. Too many coyotes and alligators who haven't been "positively" trained.

suzdief 02-14-2020 06:16 AM

I wouldn’t. It’s coyote mating season and they’re definitely here in TV.