Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Demshars (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/demshars-302812/)

eweissenbach 02-14-2020 04:26 PM

Demshars

Demshars is my favorite restaurant in the Villages. My kids ordered the ribeye and I ordered the 48 hour chicken. The kids thought the ribeye was better than Lopez at almost half the price. The 48 hour chicken is my go to order and the best fried chicken I have eaten anywhere.

tophcfa 02-14-2020 04:55 PM

I like their paella. We have been there a few times and it seems to be hit or miss depending on the people working that particular evening. But all in all one of the better Villages restaurants. I would rank it fourth behind Blue Fin, Chop House, and Bonefish.

Madelaine Amee 02-14-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1718146)
I like their paella. We have been there a few times and it seems to be hit or miss depending on the people working that particular evening. But all in all one of the better Villages restaurants. I would rank it fourth behind Blue Fin, Chop House, and Bonefish.

We like it. Took our visiting family and all enjoyed our meals. Like the fact that the Owner's wife comes to the table to see that everything is OK. Good business.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-14-2020 07:01 PM

The seafood Newburg was horrible. The veggies weren't bad. I'd never eaten risotto before, and either it was horrible, or I just don't like risotto. Newburg should be over rice or noodles (typically rice) - it's already wet, it shouldn't have added wetness of creamy risotto. It was billed as parmesan risotto and I didn't taste or smell even a speck of cheese in it. The newburg was more like cheap cooking sherry with a dash of cream in it, instead of a rich cream sauce made with egg yolk with a splash of dry sherry.

Maybe if they prepared it over rice or egg noodles it might have been tasty. But it made me want to avoid Demshar's. If that's what they consider high-end food, I'll stick with frozen dinners from the supermarket.

My husband likes their pizza, which looked more like a round flatbread to me.

Rrgolf 02-14-2020 07:02 PM

Agree!

Aces4 02-14-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrgolf (Post 1718163)
Agree!

With what?

rustyp 02-15-2020 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1718146)

From one who has been at Demshars many times I agree with your post - very inconsistent. The food and the help. Pay close attention to the help - you should !

jojo 02-15-2020 07:20 AM

We have been fortunate to have very good food and service at Demshars. The couple who own it are often there and are doing a lot for the community. We have loved their wine pairing dinners although they have not had any since October.

Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com 02-15-2020 07:35 AM

Very good in all aspects, the chicken is better than most, fish and chips are also wonderful, cannot wait to try other items, service was also great Erin our server took care of us most definitely will be back

REDCART 02-15-2020 12:39 PM

I usually rave about Demshers prime rib. However our last visit was disappointing. The prime rib was edible but tough. When you’re with a group I hesitate to complain. Maybe it’s the Abilene paradox, but complaining can sometimes upset the moment for everyone. It’s a shame because Dempsher’s had been a decent restaurant, and they accept reservations.

Bogie Shooter 02-15-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1718162)
The seafood Newburg was horrible. The veggies weren't bad. I'd never eaten risotto before, and either it was horrible, or I just don't like risotto. Newburg should be over rice or noodles (typically rice) - it's already wet, it shouldn't have added wetness of creamy risotto. It was billed as parmesan risotto and I didn't taste or smell even a speck of cheese in it. The newburg was more like cheap cooking sherry with a dash of cream in it, instead of a rich cream sauce made with egg yolk with a splash of dry sherry.

Maybe if they prepared it over rice or egg noodles it might have been tasty. But it made me want to avoid Demshar's. If that's what they consider high-end food, I'll stick with frozen dinners from the supermarket.

My husband likes their pizza, which looked more like a round flatbread to me.

What was managements response?

rustyp 02-15-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1718344)
What was managements response?

In my case the friendly manager gave me a super customary southern "bless your heart".

Mmarr 02-16-2020 05:42 AM

Our go to place.. Dennis the owner is 99% always there..

MJY10101 02-16-2020 10:26 AM

EWiessenbach: Have you tried the fried chicken at McCalls?

JSR22 02-16-2020 11:24 AM

IMO the fried chicken at Demshars is much better then McCalls.