Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Championship Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/)
-   -   Played Cane Garden yesterday (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/played-cane-garden-yesterday-302814/)

waynet 02-15-2020 06:38 AM

Played Cane Garden yesterday

Terrible conditions on the greens. Very little grass, mostly dirt with tire tracks all over the greens. Very bumpy almost not puttable. A disgrace that these conditions are allowed here. Bad part was it was our fifth choice Some went into the golf shop after to express our concerns. He acted surprised by our comments. I asked him if he ever left his office to look at the conditions. He just smiled said nothing and walked away. They know they have a captive audience and really do not care. Too bad so much pride taken in the buildings ,homes ,circles, and roads and so little on the golf courses.

alwann 02-15-2020 09:12 AM

Cane Gardens

Which 18 did you play? I played Hibiscus-Jacaranda last week at it those courses were okay. I guess conditions can change quickly.

Bogie Shooter 02-15-2020 09:45 AM

Rain?

karostay 02-15-2020 09:49 AM

Irrigation who needs rain no excuse

waynet 02-15-2020 02:50 PM

Alamanda was Ok Jacaranda was horrible

waynet 02-15-2020 02:53 PM

Did it not rain on Alamanda which was pretty good? It's right across the street. I prefer ineptitude spiked by cheapness.

UpNorth 02-15-2020 08:30 PM

IMO, NONE of the Championship Courses here in The Villages are worth a $65 greens fee. To me, most are boring designs intended to speed up play. Not in the greatest shape either. Some of the executives are in worse shape, but at least you get what you pay for.

peddieace 02-16-2020 07:28 AM

Yes. Played there yesterday. Greens on Allamanda fine. Hibiscus terrible.

OhioBuckeye 02-16-2020 09:06 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynet (Post 1718202)
Terrible conditions on the greens. Very little grass, mostly dirt with tire tracks all over the greens. Very bumpy almost not puttable. A disgrace that these conditions are allowed here. Bad part was it was our fifth choice Some went into the golf shop after to express our concerns. He acted surprised by our comments. I asked him if he ever left his office to look at the conditions. He just smiled said nothing and walked away. They know they have a captive audience and really do not care. Too bad so much pride taken in the buildings ,homes ,circles, and roads and so little on the golf courses.

Waynet, it’s winter in the south & 50,000 snowbirds are back & all the golf courses have tee times scheduled about every 10 min. all day long & from about 7:00am to 7:00pm. It wouldn’t be that way if you were a permanent resident. Plus grass is dormant, huh it’s winter there, remember, even if the weather isn’t below zero.

japcal 02-16-2020 11:17 AM

Why does anyone play the champion courses anyway. There are many beautiful, well maintained courses in the area, for 1/2
the price, with cart.

ROCKETMAN 02-16-2020 12:41 PM

Outside courses

Quote:

Originally Posted by japcal (Post 1718541)
Why does anyone play the champion courses anyway. There are many beautiful, well maintained courses in the area, for 1/2
the price, with cart.

If you don’t have a priority, it’s really dumb to play in the villages. Del Webb, 36 holes on saturdays 33 bucks with lunch. Fairways have much more grass and greens no worse than villages. Harbor hills 45 bucks and great layout. Stone creek in Ocala 49 bucks with great lunch. Many more just chrck adds in sub:a040:

zigzag 02-16-2020 01:02 PM

A few years ago The Villages stopped over seeding claiming it was better turf management. Cheaper to paint the fairways and "greens".
My Championship groups have all commented on the relatively poor fairway and green conditions this year. Palmer, which gets many "lifestyle" visits seems to be in overall better shape.
We do feel sorry for the seasonal residents who typically are not priority and pay $64 for brown hibernating grass roughs and painted fairways/greens. The courses are much prettier and in much better shape in the summer. By comparison, last years May-Dec rates were $34 for the afternoon wave for non-priority and $27 for priority.
Because of the number of seasonal rounds of play at the height of the season we will travel outside TV where rates and conditions are much better.

JSR22 02-16-2020 01:39 PM

Championship Golf

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN (Post 1718569)
If you don’t have a priority, it’s really dumb to play in the villages. Del Webb, 36 holes on saturdays 33 bucks with lunch. Fairways have much more grass and greens no worse than villages. Harbor hills 45 bucks and great layout. Stone creek in Ocala 49 bucks with great lunch. Many more just chrck adds in sub:a040:

We moved here specifically for the multiple 18 hole courses. My husband is priority and does not like to waste his time driving to off site courses. Why drive to Ocala to pay $2 more then Palmer?

Fred2016 02-16-2020 01:51 PM

There is little or no grass on the fairways. It’s like hitting off cement. I think the villages want to price themselves out and keep the courses crappy.
Then, they can close the courses and build more houses. More money in it with homes.

Marathon Man 02-16-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred2016 (Post 1718586)
There is little or no grass on the fairways. It’s like hitting off cement. I think the villages want to price themselves out and keep the courses crappy.
Then, they can close the courses and build more houses. More money in it with homes.

If they wanted to close a course, they would close a course. They don't have to chase away the golfers first.

Of course, they would not be able to build any houses on the land because it is part of the storm water control system