Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Best way to clean Horizontal Blinds? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/best-way-clean-horizontal-blinds-302820/)

The Left Mitten 02-15-2020 10:17 AM

Best way to clean Horizontal Blinds?

We just purchased a home in The Villages, and each of the windows have lovely white Horizontal Blinds. However, I don't think they were ever dusted or cleaned. What's the best way to clean them? The painter comes a few days after we close, so we'd like to get it done before the painter. :)

Two Bills 02-15-2020 10:26 AM

Personaly I would take them down ahead of the painting to avoid paint splash/mist from rollers
When down give them a good wash, put back up after painters finish.
JMO

tophcfa 02-15-2020 11:04 AM

If you have not yet moved in and the house is empty, blow them clean with an air compressor. Set the pressure low enough so you don’t damage the blinds, but high enough to get all the dust off them. It might make a little bit of a mess, but should be easy to clean up if the house is empty.

EdFNJ 02-15-2020 11:39 AM

Blind Cleaner at (where else) Amazon

John_W 02-15-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Left Mitten (Post 1718285)
We just purchased a home in The Villages, and each of the windows have lovely white Horizontal Blinds. However, I don't think they were ever dusted or cleaned. What's the best way to clean them? The painter comes a few days after we close, so we'd like to get it done before the painter. :)

If you use Investment Painters they will remove all blinds and even the horizontal blinds over the sliding doors, they did our home nine years ago. Four guys in and out in 8 hours. They've probably have painted more inside Villages homes than anyone. They advertise on this website.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...tment+painters

As far as cleaning the blinds, I see ads in the Villages newspaper the Sun for Testerman's all the time. Here is their website.

The Villages Ultrasonic Blind Cleaning

Sundance Orange 02-15-2020 05:48 PM

I’ve used Testerman’s. Great job. They take the blinds out, clean them and then put them back.

Mimi0808 02-16-2020 07:27 AM

What works best for me is using drier sheets, they work wonders, but I clean mine weekly. Hope it works for you. Welcome to TV.

chenault55 02-16-2020 07:33 AM

I just don’t understand why at our age anyone would make unkind comments just for asking a question nicely.

The Left Mitten 02-16-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenault55 (Post 1718438)
I just don’t understand why at our age anyone would make unkind comments just for asking a question nicely.

Thank you so much for your kind answer. 😊 Even though I’ve cleaned many blinds in my life, as well as dishes......since I was in my 50’s before I was blessed enough to own a dishwasher........I’m never too old to learn some new tricks. I appreciate all of the wisdom out there, and will continue to politely ask for knowledgeable advice. Thank you, all! 🥰

Barbara Wolf 02-16-2020 07:46 AM

Use Testerman Blind cleaning every year! They remove them and sonic clean them. Thus the strings also get cleaned ! Always dependable !

dminich 02-16-2020 07:49 AM

I’ve also used Testerman’s. They do an awesome job! Well worth the money!

OhioBuckeye 02-16-2020 08:44 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Left Mitten (Post 1718285)

Doesn’t surprise me that the previous owner never cleaned them. Just use plain ole soap & water, but be a little careful about how much you pull on them when cleaning. It’ll be a little time consuming though!

asianthree 02-16-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmit16 (Post 1718426)
Sometimes I wonder how people got through life without TOTV's to help them solve the basic things in life. I guess I was blessed to know how to do these things without having to get everyone's opinion. Tune in tomorrow for how to wash dishes followed by 5 easy steps to vacuuming!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prendymom (Post 1718431)
I often wonder what makes people ask such odd ? What rock have they slept under their entire life.

Those who know everything are special :bigbow:

Many who have been around awhile are happy to help a new neighbor.

OP is new asking advice on their blinds. The reason this site is popular, many will tell you who have excellent experience with a business or who to stay away from.

Our preowned blinds had never been cleaned. Call Testermans, well worth the money instead of hard work

rmd2 02-16-2020 11:59 AM

Testerman's blind cleaning is very good. I've used them for years.

bemi3 02-16-2020 01:14 PM

If you are a do it yourself person, here's how i do it. I lay a tarp in driveway, get out the hose and a bucket of soapy water. Take down "open" blinds and lay on tarp. Wet with hose and with a soft broom or mop, dip in bucket, swish over blinds both sides. Then hose off. Stand on end to drain and lean against house. Takes maybe 5 minutes or less each blind. Ready to rehang in less than an hour.