Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Sweetgum Executive Course Closing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/sweetgum-executive-course-closing-303019/)

MrGolf 02-21-2020 08:56 AM

Sweetgum Executive Course Closing

I heard yesterday from the staff that Sweetgum Exec course will be closing tomorrow due to green conditions. They also inquired about the conditions yesterday on their sister course Mangrove showing it might be next. Having played there a couple of times in the past two weeks I can attest to the fact they are once again bordering on unplayable. Unfortunately this story is beginning to look a lot like the movie Groundhog Day. This is the third or forth time the course has closed due to poor green conditions. My recommendation is for them to rip out greens and replace turf with the new grass found at Tierra Del Sole and a couple of others I believe. Sad to see because it’s a great layout. Also because it will put more demand on Mangrove and Palmetto which are seeing heavy traffic anyway.

karostay 02-21-2020 09:02 AM

Shutting it down isn't the problem they have done that repeatedly past few years ...End result.....Opens back up just as bad

Bay Kid 02-22-2020 09:03 AM

So true it seems to be every year. Love these courses, but Sweetgum has always had sad greens from the 1st week they opened.

MrGolf 02-22-2020 09:39 AM

Would really like to know what the plan is for this course to try and reverse the turf problems on the greens. There is no mention of how long the most recent shut down will be for.

karostay 02-22-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGolf (Post 1720384)
Would really like to know what the plan is for this course to try and reverse the turf problems on the greens. There is no mention of how long the most recent shut down will be for.

No turf sand and seed hope it grows approach

OhioBuckeye 02-29-2020 01:12 PM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGolf (Post 1720070)
I heard yesterday from the staff that Sweetgum Exec course will be closing tomorrow due to green conditions. They also inquired about the conditions yesterday on their sister course Mangrove showing it might be next. Having played there a couple of times in the past two weeks I can attest to the fact they are once again bordering on unplayable. Unfortunately this story is beginning to look a lot like the movie Groundhog Day. This is the third or forth time the course has closed due to poor green conditions. My recommendation is for them to rip out greens and replace turf with the new grass found at Tierra Del Sole and a couple of others I believe. Sad to see because it’s a great layout. Also because it will put more demand on Mangrove and Palmetto which are seeing heavy traffic anyway.

This is normal routine for TV. They'll be 10 or 15 or more course closed for maintenance. You should know golf course all over the U.S. close down for one reason or another! They won't tear it up it'll be like new for the full time residents.

alanmcdonald 03-01-2020 07:58 AM

I disagree. I live in Pinellas near the course. It opened about the time we moved here. It opened before it was ready (as did Mangrove) and never has had a chance to recover. It has been closed for long periods at least three times before now and looks good for about a month when it reopens and then reverts to its current state.

What is needed is to shut it down for a season, tear out the greens and start over.

rjn5656 03-01-2020 08:02 AM

Golf course

Should close Bacall too.

MrGolf 03-01-2020 09:01 AM

That is the proper way to address a reoccurring problem. Unfortunately that is not going to happen. I have a feeling by this time next year we will be witnessing the course being closed for the third time since this post. One more go round in July for a couple of months and the again in Feb or March. Sad because it’s a great layout. Maybe during one of the closings they could stretch the third hole out by an additional 50-60 yards as well.

rjn5656 03-01-2020 10:39 AM

Golf course

if you have concerns or questions about the exec courses, send a email to Mitch.Leininger@DistrictGov.org, he is responsible for the maintenance

MrGolf 03-03-2020 08:33 AM

That has been done

wisbad1 03-03-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGolf (Post 1720070)

go play palmento, greens are dirt no grass at all

MrGolf 03-05-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjn5656 (Post 1723197)
if you have concerns or questions about the exec courses, send a email to Mitch.Leininger@DistrictGov.org, he is responsible for the maintenance

The gentleman responded that he has held the position since last May and that they are now analyzing soil samples and green drainage to determine what necessary steps might need be taken. My question is why has it taken almost 10 months to decide to do this. Given the fact that this is a reoccurring problem and the probable reason Mr Leininger was hired, one would think that soil testing and drainage would have taken place when he came on board. No, the problem isn’t foot traffic caused by the high season golfers (sorry Gracie). All exec courses south of 466 receive approximately the same amount of play. Just ask those trying to book tee times and being shut out. Some exec greens are in very good shape. Unfortunately the trio of courses, Palmetto, Mangrove and Sweetgum can’t be counted among them

ColdNoMore 03-05-2020 10:28 AM

But hey, at least...they're free to play. :oops:

stan the man 03-06-2020 08:07 AM

Did anyone move here for the golf?? I moved for the line dancing...