Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Devices having trouble connecting to internet with Xfinity (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/devices-having-trouble-connecting-internet-xfinity-303143/)

Paper1 02-24-2020 04:10 PM

Devices having trouble connecting to internet with Xfinity

I’ve had Xfinity triple play for a year and have always had some difficulty not being able to get online but have worked around it. A couple months ago I had their service come in and check the line coming in and their modem and router. Everything was fine according to service guy. My iPhone, iPad, windows 10 laptop, wife’s iPhone, Amazon Alexa, Epson printer all lose connectivity intermittently. My iPhone and iPad always show a strong WiFi signal but can’t connect to servers. I installed a Neargear WiFi extender with no help. I think it is problem with service itself not the router but I’m not much of a techie. Anyone had this problem. Thanks for any thoughts.

asianthree 02-24-2020 07:00 PM

We have netgear, with the same products as you, plus a security system, in TV, with xfininty. On occasion we lose connection, not for more than a few minutes.
We have same up north and lose about the same with xfinity, but use there modem. It’s probably the service, but, so far have not found a better provider

retiredguy123 02-24-2020 07:10 PM

I have found that, if you keep a device connected to wifi for a long time without using it, the connection will drop off. I think it may have to do with the device, not your service. Sometimes, I need to turn off the device and reboot to restore the connection. You can also disconnect and reconnect the wifi on the device using the settings connection feature. But, I don't think you can expect any internet service to be 100 percent reliable. I have never needed an extender to improve the wifi range.

birdiebill 02-25-2020 07:00 AM

I had a similar issue several months ago. I would have to reboot the modem and router frequently to regain connection. My modem and router were older models I had owned for quite some time. I bought a new modem capable of higher speeds and a new, stronger router. Have had NO issues since. I am not saying that is your problem, but it took care of mine. We have iPads, iPhones, an Amazon fire stick, Apple TV, and a smart tv that all connect to our Xfinity feed consistently when we use them. Xfinity high speed internet, streaming YouTube tv, and a couple other streaming services.

rockandroller 02-25-2020 07:31 AM

All internet capable devices MUST be rebooted periodically and their operating system (OS) kept current.