Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Internet services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/internet-services-303149/)

Django 02-24-2020 07:49 PM

Internet services

We recently moved to TV of Charlotte. We got HughesNet as our internet provider. Big mistake, it was installed 1/31 & we have had our 2nd service call to no avail. We are supposed to get 25mbps, but that is very sporadic. We can’t get amazon or Netflix or restart a movie on direct tv. They didn’t bother to tell us that the speeds wouldn’t work very well for streaming. Now we have a 24 month contract that I am trying to cancel without a penalty. Does someone have any recommendations for a reliable internet provider?

asianthree 02-24-2020 08:24 PM

Comcast is love hate relationship. However since 07 it’s still the provider we use

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-24-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Django (Post 1721177)
We recently moved to TV of Charlotte. We got HughesNet as our internet provider. Big mistake, it was installed 1/31 & we have had our 2nd service call to no avail. We are supposed to get 25mbps, but that is very sporadic. We can’t get amazon or Netflix or restart a movie on direct tv. They didn’t bother to tell us that the speeds wouldn’t work very well for streaming. Now we have a 24 month contract that I am trying to cancel without a penalty. Does someone have any recommendations for a reliable internet provider?

This is very unfortunate, and I hope you get it worked out. Next time though you'll need to do a little digging before you commit to any kind of contract.

25mbp is not all that high speed, anymore. It used to be, back when 5mbps was typical. But now we're into gigabyte speed and 60mbps is the most common for people who "just" want to stream TV and aren't hard-core gamers, or using their computers as servers for a network.

Also, hughesnet is satellite service. That means you're dependent on the weather. If it's a lousy day, your internet won't be very good. If the weather is clear and crisp, it'll be better. But still, the fact that 25mbps is a selling point - means they really don't have much to offer. What's even worse, is that if you go over whatever limit your plan is at, they will slow your service down to just 1-3mbps. That isn't even enough to load twitter without hiccuping.

For $50 you can get "all that" with only 20gb hard data limit (if you go over you don't get cut off, they just slow it down so it's nauseatingly slow). And that's just for 6 months. It goes up to $70 after that. Plus another $10 to lease the dish - if you want to buy it, it's another $500.

Compare to Comcast, where you can get 60mbps for the same $50, it's (mostly) reliable, and very very very rarely ever slows down. Their data cap is 1 terabyte. For the average person who streams AND games, it's basically impossible to ever hit that cap. Renting a modem is around $12, buying one is under $100.

JoMar 02-24-2020 09:57 PM

Might also check into Spectrum....easier to deal with than Comcast and pricing competitive. No contract.

Django 02-24-2020 10:13 PM

Thank you Jomar

Django 02-24-2020 10:14 PM

Thank you orangeblossombaby

biker1 02-24-2020 10:21 PM

CenturyLink has one-price-for-life with no contract. For about $50 per month you will get 100 megabits per second download via fiber optic cable to the house. Your price won't change as long as you don't change the service. They don't appear to implement data caps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Django (Post 1721177)

tophcfa 02-24-2020 10:26 PM

Unfortunately, wired internet has us captive weather we like it or not. Satellite or cellular internet works for basic stuff, but most websites push so much data and video through that it is just way to slow without wired cable or fiber optic service. And if you want to cut the cord and stream your television viewing experience, you need a wired Internet connection.

Pommom91 02-25-2020 06:14 AM

Spectrum at one time used to buy people out of their contracts. I would give them a call and check it out.

pkfavreau2 02-25-2020 06:19 AM

We have century link. One price guaranteed as long as we have it. Service has been great.

Professor 02-25-2020 06:52 AM

Comcast seems to be the best of a bad lot. Mostly reliable and their customer service has improved significantly in the last 2-3 years. Buy your own modem and save the rental price.

crash 02-25-2020 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1721205)
CenturyLink has one-price-for-life with no contract. For about $50 per month you will get 100 megabits per second download via fiber optic cable to the house. Your price won't change as long as you don't change the service. They don't appear to implement data caps.

Not fiber optic in all areas of the Villages. I am in Sunset Pointe and have DSL at 25 MPs. Uses 2 dsl lines to get that. Pay $50 a month for this.

In Buttonwood got 100 MPs on DSL for $55.

dewilson58 02-25-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1721198)
Might also check into Spectrum....easier to deal with than Comcast and pricing competitive. No contract.

Agree.

Great service.............if you want, you can walk in Wildwood and talk to a live body.

biker1 02-25-2020 07:14 AM

Yes, that is true. However, I believe all areas south of 466a (and possibly other areas also) have fiber optic to the house and I was responding to the OP who lives in Charlotte, and does have fiber to the house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 1721238)
Not fiber optic in all areas of the Villages. I am in Sunset Pointe and have DSL at 25 MPs. Uses 2 dsl lines to get that. Pay $50 a month for this.

In Buttonwood got 100 MPs on DSL for $55.

Bkosloski 02-25-2020 07:18 AM

Comcast or Spectrum

Just got 100 Mbp from Spectrum for $49.99 and $5 for modem and router, no contract. Was ending a Comcast contract that included cable and they wanted over $70. Live in Sanibel.