Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Purple Martin Apartment Yes/No/Maybe advice? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/purple-martin-apartment-yes-no-maybe-advice-303160/)

dadspet 02-25-2020 09:46 AM

Purple Martin Apartment Yes/No/Maybe advice?

We have tried hummingbird feeders and currently a small seed birdfeeder with very little if any luck attracting much. We live next to a small pond on a golf course and it really seems strange we haven't been able to attract many small birds (there are a lot of pond birds). In upstate NY they were plentiful. So now I'm thinking of a Purple martin apartment and would like some advice from readers who have tried one and how successful it was attracting birds. Any advice on which one to get or how much effort they require to maintain (I'm not big on maintenance) and the best place to buy one. Thanks for your comments/advice. Actually, any advice on bird feeders in general that you have been successful would would be helpful.

Two Bills 02-25-2020 10:30 AM

Bird and all wildlife numbers depend on the natural food source in the area.
Plenty of pond life means larger population of waders etc.
TV spray insectacides and herbicides in large amounts that deplete local small bird food sources.
Garden maintainance prune shrubbery before any berry food source is set, and available
Bird feeders will only supplement the existing population, not increase it.
I would imagine the local squirral, rat, snake etc. population will love a Purple Martin Apt!

vintageogauge 02-25-2020 12:40 PM

You might want to check your deed restrictions before investing in a large bird apartment.

dadspet 02-25-2020 12:59 PM

It seems like if the Villages are putting in 240 Apartments in Brownwood they shouldn't mind a 16 Purple Martin bird apartment on my property.

retiredguy123 02-25-2020 03:17 PM

I made a purple martin house once many years ago from plywood. It was very heavy, and the instructions said to mount it 20 feet above the ground. I couldn't find a pole strong enough to hold it without it swaying, so I only used a 12 foot pole. Never had a purple martin or any other bird go into the house. I did see a cockroach in it once. My house had 12 apartments, but I never collected any rent, so I lost about $150 on wood, nails, paint, roof shingles, and a steel pole. My advice would be that, if you buy one, make sure that you can get a pole that is strong enough to support it in the wind. If the house is not high enough, the birds won't come. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Topspinmo 02-25-2020 10:41 PM

I seen few of purple Martin’s (PM) houses in villages. Three had couple pairs nesting. IMO few PMs in this area. I came from Oklahoma where I had 65 nesting pairs purple martins for 18 years. Average number fledged per nest was 4. 260 plus per year. 4680 or so PM fledged at my colony. Amazing little social birds, I regularly done nest checks and had few females that was so use to me they would not leave nest. I really miss them. Tried to add photo of my colony, but I can no longer add or delete photos.

One more thing: this area ( or My area) have very few starlings and English sparrows, I rarely see any in my neighborhood. Which is good cause they compete, runout, kill, and take over Martin colony’s. I use tell my friends and neighbors that PM are hard to get and twice as hard to keep due to English sparrows and starlings in Oklahoma.

vintageogauge 02-25-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadspet (Post 1721452)
It seems like if the Villages are putting in 240 Apartments in Brownwood they shouldn't mind a 16 Purple Martin bird apartment on my property.

Your neighbors might.

EdFNJ 02-25-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1721587)
Your neighbors might.

Especially ff they don't pay amenity fees I'd probably report them. ;)

Mmarr 02-26-2020 05:46 AM

Remember your no longer on OK .. birds come and go here and not all species migrate here..

shannondwd 02-26-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadspet (Post 1721344)
We have tried hummingbird feeders and currently a small seed birdfeeder with very little if any luck attracting much. We live next to a small pond on a golf course and it really seems strange we haven't been able to attract many small birds (there are a lot of pond birds). In upstate NY they were plentiful. So now I'm thinking of a Purple martin apartment and would like some advice from readers who have tried one and how successful it was attracting birds. Any advice on which one to get or how much effort they require to maintain (I'm not big on maintenance) and the best place to buy one. Thanks for your comments/advice. Actually, any advice on bird feeders in general that you have been successful would would be helpful.

I have a purple Martin house and at present we have at least 10 in residence. They eat their bodies weight in insects daily. They are only here from January till May to raise their babies. The best place to get a apartment is on Amazon but make sure you get the right one, light weight tin metal. They are lovely and we enjoyed watching them. No need to feed them, they hunt high in the sky for insects.

theruizs 02-26-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

If your deed restrictions prohibit it someone will report it sooner or later and then you’ll just have to take it down. Trust me, knowing your deed restrictions will save you a lot of grief later. And, believe it or not, there are actually residents who have made a “hobby” of driving around in their golf carts noting deed restriction violations and reporting them.

vitacr 02-26-2020 10:46 AM

My Brother lives on a small pond in the Villages. 10 yrs ago he made one & installed a camera inside. The same Purple Martin's come each year bringing him great joy. He does maintain it.

USA2170 02-26-2020 10:50 AM

Have a Purple Martin house up for the last three years. Always put it up end of January so the scouts are able to ck it out. Then by the 2 week of Feb. the females arrive. Quite loud in the morning and evening but well worth it. If you want to check the house, just come on by.

Mjborr 02-26-2020 02:30 PM

This is our third winter in this house. We have small bird feeders with baffles and weighted perches to deter squirrels and crows. There were very few birds the first year but each year the number has increased. We get cardinals, blue birds, finches and (this year) red winged blackbirds.

Granpapa3x 02-26-2020 10:31 PM

I have had good success with a Bluebird house, babies, and, as well as, feeding these and other songbirds with specific hanging feeders. Bluebirds enjoy dried Mealworms, as do Northern Cardinals, Palm and Yellow-backed Warblers, Northern Mockingbirds, and Brown Thrashers. Also, I use a hanging platform feeder with Safflower seed that is eaten by Mourning Doves, House Finches, Northern Cardinals, and other birds. A suet feeder is also a successful food source. I have thousands of pictures of these birds and their behaviors. Bird watching, feeding and photographing is my daily joy, along with participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count, and posting pics on-line. By the way, I continue to try attracting Hummingbirds, but with very little success. Good luck!