Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Neighbors upset over dogs peeing in street (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/neighbors-upset-over-dogs-peeing-street-303204/)

Todayscoolfacts 02-26-2020 09:08 AM

Neighbors upset over dogs peeing in street

Neighbors in Wildwood are upset over some dog owners training their dogs to pee in the road instead of the grass.

The owner's reasoning was dog pee turns the grass yellow/ kills it. What do you think? Is it worth the upset or are the owner's being considerate of their neighbor's grass?

dewilson58 02-26-2020 09:21 AM

Don't care.

:ohdear:

mulligan 02-26-2020 10:01 AM

petty problem

sophie720 02-26-2020 10:28 AM

I like to reserve the things I let bother me and get upset over to things of a much, much, much greater magnitude...unless someone likes to run around and play in street puddles, I don't see this a thing to even give that much thought to....

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-26-2020 11:53 AM

The problem with peeing in the street is that it has no place to "go" and will bake into the concrete, creating a stench and potentially corroding the road (depending on how many dogs pee in the same spot or how many times one dog pees in the same spot).

On rainy days this is a non-issue. But when it's not raining - it can become an issue.

Dog owners can buy neutralizer granules to sprinkle on their pooch's puddle, to reduce the smell and risk of corrosion to the surface.

But considering that there are no sidewalks in most of the residential (all of them? I don't know) areas of the Villages, and that people have to run on those roadsides, I'd say that the potential for a health risk is more important than the potential for a yellow spot on your lawn.

I'm not too concerned about the yellow spot (it bugs me but it's not a big deal). I'm much more concerned about what I'm tracking into the house after going for a walk.

Bogie Shooter 02-26-2020 12:46 PM

Really?

TommyT 02-26-2020 01:19 PM

Leash Laws !!!!

If the dogs are allowed to run into the street to "Pee" without a Leash, we have another problem.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Buckeyephan 02-26-2020 02:12 PM

As a courtesy to my neighbors, I always walk my dog in the street so she doesn’t go on their lawns. I have a baggie to pick up any messes. Even though I give her the chance to relieve herself on our lawn before we leave, sometimes nature calls during the walk.

Velvet 02-26-2020 02:17 PM

I think that is very considerate of you, both for your neighbors who work hard on their lawns and for your dog, who is best to avoid all the fertilizer and pesticide these lawn need/use. I just had my lawn treated and even though there is a sign some (idiots?) still let their dog go on the treated lawn. I put coarse black pepper on the lawn which keeps their (much smarter) dogs away.

rwfisher1969 02-26-2020 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=OrangeBlossomBaby;1721742]The problem with peeing in the street is that it has no place to "go" and will bake into the concrete, creating a stench and potentially corroding the road (depending on how many dogs pee in the same spot or how many times one dog pees in the same spot).

On rainy days this is a non-issue. But when it's not raining - it can become an issue.

Dog owners can buy neutralizer granules to sprinkle on their pooch's puddle, to reduce the smell and risk of corrosion to the surface.

But considering that there are no sidewalks in most of the residential (all of them? I don't know) areas of the Villages, and that people have to run on those roadsides, I'd say that the potential for a health risk is more important than the potential for a yellow spot on your lawn.

I'm not too concerned about the yellow spot (it bugs me but it's not a big deal). I'm much more concerned about what I'm tracking into the house after going for a walk.[/

What are you feeding your dog that would cause its urine to corrode the road?? Diesel fuel or gas would ruin the pavement, not urine.

Velvet 02-26-2020 03:11 PM

Just out of curiosity, you are not concerned about yellow spots on your own lawn or other people’s lawn? The reason I ask is because they maybe concerned about their lawn.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-26-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1721801)
Just out of curiosity, you are not concerned about yellow spots on your own lawn or other people’s lawn? The reason I ask is because they maybe concerned about their lawn.

I'm not especially concerned with lawns in general, as I've posted many times previously. A yellow spot on my - or anyone else's - lawn - is not of any importance to me at all.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-26-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwfisher1969 (Post 1721796)
What are you feeding your dog that would cause its urine to corrode the road?? Diesel fuel or gas would ruin the pavement, not urine.

I guess you've never lived in or frequented a city. You can see the corrosion marks on sidewalks where homeless relieve themselves, in the corners between two buildings.

That aside, the stench is enough to concern me. Baked urine on pavement is horrible.

In addition, summertime will bring VERY hot pavement. It is unsafe and cruel for pet owners to force their animals to walk on the pavement in the Florida summer sun.

Chi-Town 02-26-2020 04:32 PM

If you can teach your dog to pee in the street then you can teach it to pee in the drain.

billethkid 02-26-2020 04:56 PM

OK I'll play too.
Why, do some, conclude their dog shall not pee or poop in their own yard?