Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Gutters collecting leaves, need covers, .........any ideas? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/gutters-collecting-leaves-need-covers-any-ideas-303216/)

E Cascade 02-26-2020 02:48 PM

Gutters collecting leaves, need covers, .........any ideas?

I cleaned out my gutters this past Fall and now am seeing leaves in my downspouts, so i assume gutters are collecting again. Any ideas on types of coverings, probs to consider, can I do it myself, who to hire and who to stay away from..... Thanks to this great group.

Bogie Shooter 02-26-2020 03:10 PM

There are some bad dudes out there.....wanting to take a lot of your money to put on covers. Watch any guys from Orlando.....

Search Results for gutter covers at The Home Depot

villagetinker 02-26-2020 09:14 PM

Back up North, I bought some plastic (PVC) gutter covers that snapped over the edge of the gutter and UNDER the first layer of shingles, seemed to work OK, BUT, when the leaves got wet they stuck to the cover. Still had to clean up!

villagerjack 02-26-2020 09:36 PM

I had Leaf Filter installed in my other home. Costly but Works great.

Koapaka 02-26-2020 11:49 PM

Home Depot has a 3 ft snap on gutter cover for less than $2.00 each.

EdFNJ 02-27-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagerjack (Post 1721925)
I had Leaf Filter installed in my other home. Costly but Works great.

I had those done when we lived up north and there were trees with leaves. They worked great except they developed a lot of mold on the stainless steel mesh from the fine stuff that didn't wash through as well as tiny sprouts growing from tree seeds that got stuck on them. Still had to clean them 1 or 2x a year but a lot better than the other option (going bareback). I guess it depends on what type of trees one has around but they definitely do prevent clogged leaders & gutters.

E Cascade 02-27-2020 10:04 PM

Guess better to just get out the ladder and hose a couple of times a year ......darn. Don't need mold, plants, and crud growing up there from small oak leaves. Would have been better without gutters..... at least only one story house and not so high for my 10' step ladder. Maybe I'll take down the gutters when I get tired of all of this.

sling1985 02-28-2020 07:20 AM

Call Shine On Pressure Washing. 352-603-1284.

rockandroller 02-28-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E Cascade (Post 1722319)
Guess better to just get out the ladder and hose a couple of times a year ......darn. Don't need mold, plants, and crud growing up there from small oak leaves. Would have been better without gutters..... at least only one story house and not so high for my 10' step ladder. Maybe I'll take down the gutters when I get tired of all of this.

I agree, with one caveat. Be careful hiring just anyone to do the cleaning. As a homeowner, we are financially responsible for any injuries to that person.

birdawg 02-28-2020 08:09 AM

Ever wonder why the building codes in Florida do not require gutters? Because they are not needed.

noslices1 02-28-2020 08:41 AM

Hire a licensed and INSURED contractor to do the work. No liability for you.

Topspinmo 02-28-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockandroller (Post 1722390)
I agree, with one caveat. Be careful hiring just anyone to do the cleaning. As a homeowner, we are financially responsible for any injuries to that person.

Why?

theruizs 02-28-2020 12:01 PM

We have our house pressured washed once or twice a year and have them hit the gutters as well. Cheaper than making a separate job of it. That has kept ours clean and working so far.

ALadysMom 02-29-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdawg (Post 1722406)
Ever wonder why the building codes in Florida do not require gutters? Because they are not needed.

How does that work? Water is water. It surely can do the same types of damage to homes in FL as it does elsewhere.

tophcfa 03-02-2020 09:42 AM

We solved the problem by getting rid of the trees close to our house. I love trees, as long as they are not close to the house. This also cuts down on the frequency that we need to pressure wash the house and pick up tree debris from the yard. Our lawn and garden are also much healthier.