Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Yamaha front tire wear (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/yamaha-front-tire-wear-303223/)

judyandlon 02-26-2020 04:54 PM

Yamaha front tire wear

The front tires on our 2018 Yamaha have a wear problem that the dealer claims cannot be corrected. He suggests a possible fix which would cost me roughly $267.00 but could not guarantee success. I called Yamaha Corp (866 747 4027) and they agreed that there is not a camber adjustment to correct the issue. They are aware of the problem but said Yamaha Engineering has not come up with a fix. Seems this is a problem on late models. Appreciate others thoughts and maybe a fix. Thanks

TommyT 02-26-2020 07:07 PM

I see this issue on many of the newer Yamaha GC's. Back away from the front of the cart and you can see the tires appear to be off center. The tops lean in and the bottoms out. This makes the cart ride on the inside tread on the tires. Yamaha could care less too!! :shocked: :shocked:

villagetinker 02-26-2020 07:38 PM

I am no expert on these (I have lots of auto experience) but I typed in "yamaha g29 camber adjustment" into Google and found several results that MIGHT help. I will be following this as I have a 2017 EFI model, and I will take a level to the front wheels in the near future. We do not have a lot of mileage yet so i have not noticed the problem.

xkeowner 02-26-2020 08:34 PM

Had this issue on our 2010 Yamaha Drive. Tried several times to get dealer to align without success. Finally called Joe's Cart Repair and he aligned the front wheels and had no problems after that. Unfortunately, I believe he retired and the business has merged with Southern Cart Works in Fruitland Park (352) 391-2047. I have used them for my cart service and repairs for the last 5-6 years and am VERY pleased with their honesty. I suggest you talk with Brian the owner and he will give you a straight answer on whether or not he thinks he can fix your problem.

Packer Fan 02-26-2020 10:43 PM

Many times the tires wear due to underinflation. Make sure your air pressure is correct.

Challenger 02-26-2020 11:08 PM

Underinflation is the cause in many of these cases. I see it on my neighbors carts. The only time that air pressure is checked on most carts is at annual service. Once a month air check would save a lot of rubber. Have had three Yamahas over 10 years. Last cart is a 2018 with 5200 miles in last 17 months . Tires are perfectly square as were the other two when sold.

sdeikenberry 02-27-2020 06:09 AM

My 2016 Yamaha clearly had one front wheel that wasn't aligned the same as the other front wheel. TV golf store garage in Spanish Springs did an alignment and it solved the issue. They did say they had limited adjustment options, but what they did fixed my problem. They also suggested I rotate the tires once a year. I've sold that cart and have a 2019 Yamaha now with radial tires...so far no issues, although it's obvious the front tires are cambered in. Checking and keeping the proper air pressure is also important to the wear.

scottcfii 02-27-2020 06:17 AM

We have a 2018 also. The adverse tire wear appeared while still under warranty. They "aligned" the cart and rotated the front tires to the rear. The tire pressures were as specified in the manual. We are now monitoring the situation but you can see the front tires are canted in on the top. Go to a showroom and they all are. Seems like a basic design flaw with the independent suspension. More when I get more time on it.

tsmall22204 02-27-2020 06:21 AM

Dont buy Yamaha! If they will not stand behind their product. Spend the money and enjoy your cart.

John corallo 02-27-2020 06:47 AM

My 2018 Yamaha also has front tire wear has only 1000 miles

Stevieb1 02-27-2020 06:58 AM

So much ralk about tire pressure. What is recommended pressure for 2009 and 2015 Yamaha Carts. Even my mechanic and The Villages golf cart store disagree.

noslices1 02-27-2020 07:23 AM

I just replaced the front tires on my 2014 Yamaha gas cart. They had 10,000+ miles on them and the rear tires are still fine, but the fronts wore out evenly across the tread. Original 4 ply tires were replaced with 10 ply, same size and style. Hopefully, these will wear better than OEM tires. No problem with alignment.

ts12755 02-27-2020 08:17 AM

Rotate the tires regularly and keep pressure at correct... Im driving 5 years on my original tires.

dewilson58 02-27-2020 08:25 AM

A real problem for three years.

Fixed with 2019 models.

It's not an adjustment fix, it's a front-end change to fix.

Pay for tires or the fix.

greenflash245 02-27-2020 08:33 AM

could be several conditions attributing to this "wear". correct tire inflation could be the biggest among them. as ambient air temp changes(daily) so does tire pressure. wise to check pressure monthly. in addition, driving habits play a role in this scenario. turning corners at a fast rate will cause excessive wear on the outside shoulder. too much weight in the passenger compartment combined with under inflation and fast cornering can cause excessive wear.