Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Residents vs. Non-Residents (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/residents-vs-non-residents-303224/)

Mjsmithx 02-26-2020 04:54 PM

Residents vs. Non-Residents

I recently had a very unpleasant conversation with a person that used to live in the villages and decided to move outside. However, this person continues to eat at the local country club restaurant and continues to play golf on the championship courses. Her reason for leaving was the amount of the amenity fees and the bond. Should we restrict access to the country clubs and the golf courses to the residents who pay for the upkeep of all of these facilities? I continue to be amazed by the people who want to be negative about the Villages but still chose to take part in what is offered. And before the negative comments roll in, I have been coming to the Villages since 1998 and have owned here for 8 years. Oh, and her reason for still coming here; she doesn't have those amenities where she chose to buy, even though she champions the lack of amenity fees she pays.

manaboutown 02-26-2020 05:01 PM

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

photo1902 02-26-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjsmithx (Post 1721832)
I recently had a very unpleasant conversation with a person that used to live in the villages and decided to move outside. However, this person continues to eat at the local country club restaurant and continues to play golf on the championship courses. Her reason for leaving was the amount of the amenity fees and the bond. Should we restrict access to the country clubs and the golf courses to the residents who pay for the upkeep of all of these facilities? I continue to be amazed by the people who want to be negative about the Villages but still chose to take part in what is offered. And before the negative comments roll in, I have been coming to the Villages since 1998 and have owned here for 8 years. Oh, and her reason for still coming here; she doesn't have those amenities where she chose to buy, even though she champions the lack of amenity fees she pays.

OK. I'll play...you mean she wants to do what every single non-resident can do???

Mjsmithx 02-26-2020 05:05 PM

Apparently so, but the question is - should they be allowed to do so - or is it time to restrict access to Villages amenities to residents and their guests? And to clarify - by Resident, I mean people who actually own property here - regardless of whether they are residents of Florida.

CWGUY 02-26-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

:ohdear: Country club restaurants and golf courses are private businesses. I'm no fan of people who are negative about the Villages JUST AS I AM NO FAN OF PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE A CLUE HOW THIS PLACE WORKS! :ho:

CWGUY 02-26-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjsmithx (Post 1721839)
Apparently so, but the question is - should they be allowed to do so - or is it time to restrict access to Villages amenities to residents and their guests?

:ohdear: The CC restaurants and golf courses are NOT amenities! :oops:

Mjsmithx 02-26-2020 05:21 PM

I don't disagree with the point, they are private businesses. However, as residents we do pay for upkeep (golf cart paths, etc.) that outsiders do not.

perrjojo 02-26-2020 05:23 PM

We all pay to eat in the CC restaurants with no discount to residents. Non residents pay higher fees on the Championship courses.

Mjsmithx 02-26-2020 05:23 PM

///

Fredman 02-26-2020 05:27 PM

If you limit access to the country clubs and golf courses i wonder if they could sustain once the snowbirds leave.

graciegirl 02-26-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjsmithx (Post 1721850)
///

Anyone can eat at the Country Club restaurants. You don't have to live here to dine at any of the Villages restaurants. You also can play golf at any of the Championship Golf Courses without living here. You can't play golf on a nine hole course, an executive course unless you live here or are a bonifide guest.

Carla B 02-26-2020 05:30 PM

Instead of getting upset, the OP ought to thank the person who moved outside for helping support the championship courses and the country clubs. And then learn what the amenity fees do support.

CWGUY 02-26-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjsmithx (Post 1721848)
I don't disagree with the point, they are private businesses. However, as residents we do pay for upkeep (golf cart paths, etc.) that outsiders do not.

:ohdear: Sorry ..... when you find yourself in a hole - STOP digging! Golf cart paths are on the golf course and the owner pays for them. We pay for no upkeep on the C.C. courses. We drive around on the Multi-Modal Trails that we pay for. They give many free classes on how things operate in the Villages. They are listed in the paper and on the District Web Site. :ho:

CWGUY 02-26-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1721856)
Instead of getting upset, the OP ought to thank the person who moved outside for helping support the championship courses and the country clubs. And then learn what the amenity fees do support.

:coolsmiley:

asianthree 02-26-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

So in your world, anyone who has guests, family, do not belong here. Much less the developer who brings in thousands on lifestyle visits.

If you would like exclusivities, there are many privately owned golf communities that offer owner only in the club, and the courses. They can’t control any restaurants or shopping outside of their domain.

But it might be an area to look at. Our friends have a condo in Naples with just that exclusive rights. Selling for close to a million.