Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Palmetto greens in sad shape (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/palmetto-greens-sad-shape-303327/)

MrGolf 02-29-2020 09:56 AM

Palmetto greens in sad shape

Played Palmetto yesterday and the greens are in terrible condition. Very similar to Sweetgum which is now closed and Mangrove which is on the verge. A trend is developing here which is not a good one. In comparison to other exec courses south of 466 these three fit into the bottom 10% in terms of course, and specifically green conditioning. The course supervisor needs to own up to why they are this bad.

alwann 02-29-2020 10:43 AM

Palmetto

I don't think it is a trend so much as it is an annual event. New head course superintendent, same results. An explanation about why this happens every year would be appreciated. Ditto with the championship courses having problems. Prices go up, population increases, quality and access decline. Disappointed to say the least.

anothersteve 02-29-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1722882)
I don't think it is a trend so much as it is an annual event.

An explanation about why this happens every year

Prices go up, population increases, quality and access decline.

Hmmmmmmm
Steve

clwahlstrom 03-02-2020 02:16 PM

This is getting a bit scary. Lots of negative news about The condition of the courses. I understand if it’s temporary, but after the Hacienda country club closing, is that what is in our future? One course, one club, after another? And the fact that Mallory golf course is closed is another negative.

karostay 03-02-2020 02:26 PM

Just left LobLolly :cus:

NY2TV 03-03-2020 07:11 AM

Hacienda Hills golf course is not closed????

jarodrig 03-03-2020 06:01 PM

????

Quote:

Originally Posted by clwahlstrom (Post 1723495)
This is getting a bit scary. Lots of negative news about The condition of the courses. I understand if it’s temporary, but after the Hacienda country club closing, is that what is in our future? One course, one club, after another? And the fact that Mallory golf course is closed is another negative.

Hacienda is NOT closed !! Where does this BS come from ??? 😱

tophcfa 03-03-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clwahlstrom (Post 1723495)

The golf at Hacienda is very good, are you referring to the restaurant? Very different topic indeed.

Two Bills 03-04-2020 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarodrig (Post 1723873)
Hacienda is NOT closed !! Where does this BS come from ??? 😱

Perhaps you should read the post again.

graciegirl 03-04-2020 05:55 AM

Listen to me.

This is March. Third month of many feet. MANY feet. Happens every year in March. Lots of people, four after four, using the courses, day after day, week after week.

Greens and fairways will improve after much walking and messing by not very experienced golfers who also don't repair divits and heavens knows what all. And by the feet of many golfers who do know the rules. March. Golf courses have feet on them during most hours of light.

Bay Kid 03-04-2020 08:06 AM

Lots of golf...not always good golf....

maggie1 03-04-2020 09:25 AM

Conditions of Greens

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1723929)
Listen to me.

This is March. Third month of many feet. MANY feet. Happens every year in March. Lots of people, four after four, using the courses, day after day, week after week.

Greens and fairways will improve after much walking and messing by not very experienced golfers who also don't repair divits and heavens knows what all. And by the feet of many golfers who do know the rules. March. Golf courses have feet on them during most hours of light.

I've been a resident of TV for seven years, and this year I've found the greens on some of the courses to surely have been damaged by other means than overuse. It's difficult to understand why the greens on Yankee Clipper are in top notch condition, while others (Churchhill for example) have large bare spots, and areas that appear to show some type of mold destruction. Are all courses maintained by the same people/company, or is the maintenance farmed out to a variety of golf maintenance businesses? Perhaps the greens keeper at Yankee should be hired to take care of the courses that need some work done.

Two Bills 03-04-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggie1 (Post 1724015)
I've been a resident of TV for seven years, and this year I've found the greens on some of the courses to surely have been damaged by other means than overuse. It's difficult to understand why the greens on Yankee Clipper are in top notch condition, while others (Churchhill for example) have large bare spots, and areas that appear to show some type of mold destruction. Are all courses maintained by the same people/company, or is the maintenance farmed out to a variety of golf maintenance businesses? Perhaps the greens keeper at Yankee should be hired to take care of the courses that need some work done.

The starter at Yankee said the gang that look after Yankee Clipper and Southern Star also look after Redfish Run, Tarpon Boil, and Bonita Pass.
All of those courses were very good condition, so there maybe some truth that some green keeping teams are a lot better than others.

justjim 03-04-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggie1 (Post 1724015)

You ask a good question about maintenance. Sorry I don’t know the answer but those in “charge” should know and should have the larger picture of executive courses in TV. I agree much play is a factor in course condition but not the only factor as all the executive courses are played very heavily during “the season”. My group played Palmetto yesterday. True the greens were not in the best of shape. Only the executive course management could tell us what happen to the greens at Palmetto that didn’t happen at other courses (where the greens are in good shape) that we have recently played such as: Yankee Clipper, Okeechobee, Escambia, and Red Fox.

UpNorth 03-04-2020 11:00 AM

Played several Championship courses outside The Villages that also get a lot of play this time of year. Much better greens, better fairways, better tees than anything we have here. Much more interesting course layouts and at around half the price. Yes, you need to get in your car and drive somewhat, but the change is well worth it IMO.