Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   900 move to Florida daily (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/900-move-florida-daily-303352/)

Northerner52 02-29-2020 05:18 PM

900 move to Florida daily

Article

Video

ColdNoMore 02-29-2020 07:05 PM

A lot of movement to warm or moderate (except arguably, Colorado) climates.

Color me...not surprised.

manaboutown 02-29-2020 10:14 PM

People move away from high tax, high crime areas if they can and when they retire.

Koapaka 02-29-2020 10:38 PM

Yeah, FL can absorb all us old, retired folk because we are....well, old and retired. We are not looking for jobs, we spend $$$$ and lets face it, we have less "trips around the sun" ahead of us than we do behind us.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-29-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koapaka (Post 1723048)
Yeah, FL can absorb all us old, retired folk because we are....well, old and retired. We are not looking for jobs, we spend $$$$ and lets face it, we have less "trips around the sun" ahead of us than we do behind us.

We need younger people to move in too (not to the Villages specifically but the area around it). I know people here who don't own a cell phone - not even a flip phone - because they think they're too "old" to bother with one. Considering that the guy who invented the personal computer is older than they are - I'd say they're just flat out wrong. But there's no convincing them.

Meanwhile, the younger generation will be the older generation eventually. And if younger folks don't move in WHILE they're younger - who will bring the technology that THEY will want, when they're old enough to be considered "old?"

I mean - c'mon people - hardly any stores anywhere in the Villages or even at the supermarkets accept Google Pay for crying out loud. This stuff was old news 5 years ago everywhere else.

graciegirl 03-01-2020 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1723052)
We need younger people to move in too (not to the Villages specifically but the area around it). I know people here who don't own a cell phone - not even a flip phone - because they think they're too "old" to bother with one. Considering that the guy who invented the personal computer is older than they are - I'd say they're just flat out wrong. But there's no convincing them.

Meanwhile, the younger generation will be the older generation eventually. And if younger folks don't move in WHILE they're younger - who will bring the technology that THEY will want, when they're old enough to be considered "old?"

I mean - c'mon people - hardly any stores anywhere in the Villages or even at the supermarkets accept Google Pay for crying out loud. This stuff was old news 5 years ago everywhere else.

I don't agree with your argument and don't see people without cells. We have lots of younger folks building houses and doing all the jobs around us.

JoeBoroden 03-01-2020 08:08 AM

And 899 pass away everyday so net population increase is 1 per day!

greenflash245 03-01-2020 08:35 AM

I understand why. what I have aways had a problem with is the daily number they quote. it is a lot of people each day

gatorbill1 03-01-2020 09:26 AM

In TV, I think you find a lot of people who are recorded to have moved from Florida. Because they had moved to South Florida previously from the north and then moved to TV. Records here of where people are from are not correct as to where they grew up. Newspaper of number of people from various states is not really correct.

John_W 03-01-2020 11:41 AM

If you look at that in percentages, it's only a growth rate of 1.1%. My parents moved to Florida in 1959 and the growth rate was 3.8% at that time. In fact in 1957 the rate was 8%.

Florida Population 1900-2019 | MacroTrends

2BNTV 03-01-2020 11:52 AM

A lot of people moved from New York to Florida and Florida replaced New York as the third most most populated state.

I'll speak for myself that after living in the tri- state area for over 60 years, you get tired of snow, cold weather and driving in hazardous conditions not to mention shoveling. For some people, the taxes are significantly lower and the crime is much lower than where I came from. I never have felt safer.

I had noticed the trend of many younger people moving to TV. Friends of mine moved here in their 50"s. Their son loves it here and he is in his 20"s. The lifestyle attracts a lot of people.

More and more people are retiring today than ever before and that's why the developer keeps building as it fits the demand.

DeafDeaf 03-01-2020 11:41 PM

A bit old news?

[QUOTE=Northerner52;1723013]Article

That was two years old news. What is the latest updpate?

manaboutown 03-03-2020 01:23 PM

Florida is not on the list! The Top States Americans Moved to Last Year [INFOGRAPHIC] - Keeping Current Matters