Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   The State of ER Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/state-er-services-303399/)

schrdr 03-02-2020 04:25 PM

The State of ER Services

I would like start a discussion on the state of ER services in TV. I know this issue has been beaten to death over and over.

However its a new day and with the 2 new ER centers that have opened, has there been any improvement?

Has anyone used either of these new ER centers?

How are these new ER centers staffed?

Has the TVRH ER gotten any better with additional centers to absorb the load?

Bill32 03-02-2020 05:08 PM

UF Health is operating the hospital now I don't know if TV other facilities are being run by them. Maybe the question should be " with UF Health taking over are things improving"?

retiredguy123 03-02-2020 06:29 PM

In my opinion, one of the the biggest problems with ERs is that they try to make a lot of money by charging emergency prices for non-emergency treatments, rather than tell non-emergency patients to go somewhere else. So, people with real emergencies have to wait hours for treatment. There is a huge misconception that Federal law requires everyone who shows up to be treated as an emergency. Read the law. It doesn't.

NotGolfer 03-02-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schrdr (Post 1723532)
I would like start a discussion on the state of ER services in TV. I know this issue has been beaten to death over and over.

However its a new day and with the 2 new ER centers that have opened, has there been any improvement?

You pretty much said it..."it's been beaten to death". The new ER's are just opened so how would you compare? ER's ALL over the country have issues like we have here....that would be my 2-cents.

asianthree 03-02-2020 09:22 PM

If people would stop using the ED as a non emergent visit.Then EDs would be more productive in what they were designed to do.

retiredguy123 03-02-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1723599)
If people would stop using the ED as a non emergent visit.Then EDs would be more productive in what they were designed to do.

Blame the ER. They should tell people with non-emergencies to go somewhere else. But, they don't because they want the money.

JoMar 03-02-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1723600)
Blame the ER. They should tell people with non-emergencies to go somewhere else. But, they don't because they want the money.

Actually they want to mitigate liability.

Northwoods 03-02-2020 10:43 PM

My question would be: "Do you have a vascular physician "on site" 24/7? Are you able to determine if I'm having a stroke (clot) or cerebral bleed? And if I'm having a stroke (clot) are you able to administer tPA to clear the clot? I'm guessing none of them can do that.
That's what worries me about the "box" ER's. I think they bring a lot of positives. But for people that have life-threatening issues... are they able to deal with them? Or do they just transport them to a higher-level trauma center?

Kerlampert 03-03-2020 06:22 AM

It might be too early to start a comparison discussion since all the new changes.
I suspect we will get a better idea in about 3-6 months.
We've got a new variable coming in with this virus...respiratory capabilities will possibly be a new priority...

jrm4081@juno.com 03-03-2020 07:18 AM

Slm

I went to the ER at the Villages' Hospital on Sunday, Feb. 23 with possible heart attack. I was immediately taken into an office for an EKG, chest x-ray and catheter put into my arm in case meds needed.
I was then sent back to the waiting room where I sat from 8:00PM until I decided to go home at 11:15PM hoping that if my tests showed a heart attack, someone would have come to get me and since they didn't, it probably was because I was okay. I decided to leave and the doctor came out and told me not to leave.
I told him that if I had had a heart attack, I would probably have been dead by then so I was going home.
Another patient sitting near me for a much longer time was told by the receptionist that there were no beds in triage and none in the hospital for admittance. I then told the receptionist to take out the catheter (she got permission) and I went home. I am fine.
I was told by the nurse that had I gone to one of the ER centers, I would have immediately been sent to the hospital as they do not treat stroke or heart patients.
Perhaps United Health will help things get better.
I went to the ER at the Villages Hospital several years ago with the unbearable pain of a kidney stone--sat in the waiting room from 4:00AM until 12:30PM climbing the walls in pain. My husband begged for some type of pain pill but they would/could not give me anything.
We are in reasonably decent health but if we were not, we might have to consider moving out of The Villages.

asianthree 03-03-2020 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1723600)

They can’t turn away anyone, no matter what the issue is, or if they have insurance.

ladybugsmom 03-03-2020 07:37 AM

Went to the one on 44 for my husbands kidney stone. It was very good!

HelenLCSW 03-03-2020 07:37 AM

Tvrh er

Quote:

I was in the TVRH ER yesterday and -yes, there was a little glitch but considering that at one point there were 70 people in the waiting room and I heard two stroke codes called plus a heart attack, I think everything was handled as well as possible. Hospital ER’s across the country are overwhelmed as the population continues to grow exponentially. We have an unusually unbalanced population with a higher percentage of over 65ers than anywhere especially during season. I had an ER situation but not an imminently life threatening situation and in spite of that, I was registered, triaged, treated, and discharged in 5 hours (including the glitch of not being able to locate chart info). I do not think that is unreasonable considering how swamped they were. The entire staff was caring and knowledgeable.

paulajr 03-03-2020 07:40 AM

To actually address the question....

My husband injured his ankle 3 days after the Ocala Health Tradewinds Freestanding ER opened on 466a. We had had a great experience at the related ER in Summerfield so we decided to head to the new one. There is a “self check in” kiosk, and once that was completed someone came out and got us. The nurse come in right away, he was triaged and vitals taken. Within minutes the doctor was in. X-rays were done right in the room he was in. We were in and out, with a splint and a correct diagnosis within 1 hour. I would definitely recommend...and both of the new ER’s are a HUGE boost to our community!!

Quote:

Rzepecki 03-03-2020 07:44 AM

In the past my husband and I have used the Ocala Health ER in Summerfield and it was well worth the 10 minute drive. We were seen immediately by a PA in my case and a doctor in his case. Couldn’t have asked for better care. With the new Ocala Health ER at 466a and Buena Vista, we expect to get the same great care even closer to home.