Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   What is most improtant to you - home value or lifestyle (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/what-most-improtant-you-home-value-lifestyle-303403/)

npwalters 03-02-2020 07:14 PM

What is most improtant to you - home value or lifestyle

There have been several discussions lately regarding the huge and rapid expansion of TV. Discussion of the pros and cons often includes a comment like "the expansion and demand has and will drive up the value of your home".

I'm going to accept those statements as fact for the sake of argument and ask this question. What is more important to you; increased home value or a happy, active, and relaxed lifestyle?

For me the lifestyle far outweighs the increase in home value. Sure, I am happy with any increase but I'm not looking to sell my house so that really only means my property tax will increase and my heirs might get extra money when I die. Before I suffer the inevitable folks slamming my comments - let me say that I realize that is MY situation and doesn't apply to everyone buying here.

I'll flesh my thought out a bit. I don't want to wait an hour at a restaurant. I don't want to have to buy my ticket to the Sharon, Savannah Center, Katie Belles, etc in the first hour after they go on sale. I don't want to scramble to get on a championship golf course. I don't want to go on a year long waiting list for a club....you get the idea.

I'm happy where I am in TV and with my current lifestyle but I'm keeping a wary eye on the future. Maybe I'll be forced to take that increase in my home value and move to a smaller community in the future. I hope not.

bob47 03-02-2020 07:53 PM

What a well thought out posting.

VApeople 03-02-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npwalters (Post 1723564)
I'm keeping a wary eye on the future. Maybe I'll be forced to take that increase in my home value and move to a smaller community in the future.

So what is your problem?

If you think you would be happier in a different house, then move there. That is what all of us did. What's the big deal?

ColdNoMore 03-02-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob47 (Post 1723569)
What a well thought out posting.

:agree:

Thanks for the thread npwalters. :thumbup:

While I agree with a lot of what you say (particularly about not being concerned about my house value), I personally don't really see myself leaving...until I stop breathing.

But you're right about the community getting...almost too large.
:(

villagetinker 03-02-2020 08:06 PM

npwalters, I agree with you, we are FROGs (here till we croak), we love the life style, we dread the once yearly influx and the resulting wait for stuff. We have learned to adjust dinner times to around 4 pm or well after 7 pm. I have reminders for ticket sales, but due to several blunders at the Sharon, I have skipped many recent shows. I am going to explore some activities outside the villages. My wish (OK hope) is that this area will get to a tipping point where we will see development outside of the bubble to support all the people inside the bubble.
This will be an interesting topic to follow. GRIDEEP, GRIDEEP.

asianthree 03-02-2020 08:30 PM

The more south they build, I don’t see them spending an hour in a golf cart to get to anything I am doing. I use fitness centers off campus. I shop on line including 80% grocery. There are more open tee time on championship courses then in the past 5 years.

Have to say we really don’t go to events in TV, and have never waited more than 20 minutes for a table in a restaurant here. But we eat later than most. Rarely get to bed before 1am. As younger gens move here the lifestyle will change

PanamaKim 03-03-2020 06:13 AM

[QUOTE=asianthree;1723582]The more south they build, I don’t see them spending an hour in a golf cart to get to anything I am doing. I use fitness centers off campus. I shop on line including 80% grocery.

Your comment got my attention. I love online shopping, but I haven’t made the transition to gro shop online. I’d love to hear more about how you do it. Thanks!

JoeBoroden 03-03-2020 06:20 AM

Increasing value is nice, but not a big deal, especially if we stay in home forever. If we decide to move, the increased value is nice, but that means the next home will cost more too (if in TV).

It seems as they expand, they are keeping ratios of homes to amenities consistent and making them really nice. It also adds variety, things to do, areas to explore.

Traffic..... we just bought in TV in February and spent time there last May and this February during snowbird season. After growing up on Long Island, then living or driving through many big cities, I was pleasantly surprised of the lack of traffic even during snowbird season. The biggest issue seems to be parking around the squares at times. So the little walk from the parking lot to the square is exercise. I guess it is all your perspective. If you come from Tiny Town USA there is traffic in TV. This February I finally expected to see all this “traffic” people complain about and never found it.

I, for one, like the expansion, increased amenities, things to do. What a great place to live.

Chatbrat 03-03-2020 06:44 AM

Home value was and is never important to us, we never looked at home value as an investment--once you back out maintenance, taxes and other items its a break even--life style is way more important-since we were self employed--investment income gives us the means to live and do whatever we want to, without the worry of running out of $$, never had a mortgage and refuse to pay any interest, its the way I was brought up--if can pay for it, you don't need it

TomPerry 03-03-2020 07:00 AM

I’m sure some people north of CR-466 felt the same as the OP when they expanded south of CR-466. Then I’m sure some people north of CR-466A felt the same as the OP when they expanded south of CR-466A. Then I’m sure some people north of north of SR-44 felt the same as the OP when they expanded south of SR-44. Then I’m sure in the future some people north of CR-470 will feel the same as the OP when they expand south of CR-470. Etc, Etc....

prettyw102@aol.com 03-03-2020 07:26 AM

Hi Joe. We couldn't have said it better. We moved here last August from South FL, originally from NY as well. Was concerned about what we heard about "season" as far as traffic , restaurants, clubs etc. Here we are in March, and to us it was much ado about nothing. We really don't see much of a change. I guess if one is from a rural area, they might feel differently. To us, this is no biggie. We absolutely love it here...beautifully aesthetically, so much to do, friendly people, beautiful weather...we could go on and on. Welcome to Paradise!

rjn5656 03-03-2020 07:27 AM

Home value

I enjoy the villages right now, usually some of the amenities primarily golf, but not other things, spend a lot of time outside the bubble at restaurants, shopping, entertainment.

With the future growth, I would be more than willing to pack it in and find a nice gated golf community but wife is not on the same page with me.

So I am staying.:)

jacivell 03-03-2020 07:31 AM

What blunders have you seen at The Sharon? Just curious. Thx!

Bethwill 03-03-2020 07:47 AM

I just spent the last 2 months weighing my options about getting out of TV, due to overcrowding and rude people. I am more concerned about my property being worth less because of overbuilding. Since my husband recently got a job closer to TV, I guess we're staying for now.

Westie Man 03-03-2020 07:50 AM

[QUOTE=PanamaKim;1723628]
Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1723582)
The more south they build, I don’t see them spending an hour in a golf cart to get to anything I am doing. I use fitness centers off campus. I shop on line including 80% grocery.

Your comment got my attention. I love online shopping, but I haven’t made the transition to gro shop online. I’d love to hear more about how you do it. Thanks!

Walmart Grocery