Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Hey Detroiters! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/hey-detroiters-303431/)

MacScuba 03-03-2020 03:32 PM

Hey Detroiters!

Villages newbies here. My wife still enjoys cooking, so tasty dinners at home are not an issue. But some things you just can’t make at home, like a Buddy’s deep dish pizza or a genuine De-troit Coney dog. Anything around similar to those? Would drive to Orlando if need be...

delima2000 03-03-2020 07:03 PM

The guy at Home Depot sells coneys on the weekends with Lafayette chili. Also it is a drive but in Palm Harbor,Florida. There is a place called Detroit Coney Island. The food is excellent. They also,have a big boy burger,slim Jim’s,better maid potato chips,Faygo red pop, on fridays they have lake perch dinners. It is between tarpon springs and Clearwater on Highway 19. The owners family is from Lincoln park, mi.

JerryLBell 03-04-2020 08:08 AM

Twice a year, Koegels sends down a truck to select cities on the East coast, including The Villages. It's coming again this Sunday (March 8) from noon to 3:00 PM at the Towneplace Suites hotel up by Spanish Springs. You can get their hot dogs (including Viennas with natural casings), ring bologna, etc. and they usually have Coney sauce. We buy from them at every visit and have turned a number of our friends and neighbors down here into Koegels Hot Dog Snobs (because they are simply the best hot dogs you can buy!).

Can't help you with Buddy's pizza but we have found locations of Jets Pizza (founded in Sterling Heights) as close as Altamonte Springs.

leftyf 03-04-2020 10:11 AM

I really miss the Dearborn franks and the coney sauce made from beef hearts, AWESOME!

thelegges 03-04-2020 11:15 AM

Our boys are displaced in St Paul, and Louisville, when I am in MI I send coney care package. Will give the truck a try

JLH1962 03-04-2020 08:55 PM

Be patient, lol. Wife and I are planning on moving there in about a year and a half. I owned and operated 2 Detroit Style pizza places in Tampa. Still make it weekly, and yes I make it at home, on the grill. I'll show you how. Maybe we'll start a club...

DAsta 03-05-2020 06:19 AM

Detroit Style Coneys ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacScuba (Post 1723837)
Villages newbies here. My wife still enjoys cooking, so tasty dinners at home are not an issue. But some things you just can’t make at home, like a Buddy’s deep dish pizza or a genuine De-troit Coney dog. Anything around similar to those? Would drive to Orlando if need be...

There was a stand / tent in front of Home Depot on 441 promoting Detroit Coneys. I haven’t tried myself but may be an option.

Indydealmaker 03-05-2020 07:19 AM

A second coney island is coming to crystal river.

KathyW 03-05-2020 07:34 AM

I really miss Buddy's Pizza and also Jets. I can't find anyone that makes a pizza close to Buddys--and I go to Orlando quite often. Piesano's is similar to Jets, Rural King has all the Faygo flavors, and you can find Vernors at Publix. The guy at Home Depot does not have the Lafayette chili all the time, but he does put it on his sign when available. Let us know if you find pizza similar to Buddys.

Ken Lee 03-05-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

IKR...Would drive many miles for a hood Paczki...

Jdavie1955 03-05-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Koegels on the road will be at the Marriott on Paige this Sunday from noon til 2.

yamma3 03-05-2020 08:23 AM

Was this the one near the brewery? If so, is it still there?

bdelor 03-05-2020 08:43 AM

I have been here since 2011. I am from the Detroit area, Livonia to be exact. I have not found anything close to a Buddy's pizza nor a good coney island hot dog. Lots of dogs they put chili on, but not the same as you would get in Detroit or the suburbs--at least not that I have found. Good luck. When you find such goodies, please post! Welcome to TV!

Mrsmac4 03-05-2020 08:47 AM

You had my mouth watering and I was ready to hop in to the car when I saw there were Slim Jim's (Elias Bros. Big Boy)in Palm Harbor at Detroit Coney Island. I checked the website of the place and there are no Slim Jim's on the menu. Did I miss something?

RDhot 03-05-2020 09:00 AM

Look up the places online. Most ship their products