Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Inside Walled Back-Yard (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/inside-walled-back-yard-303434/)

jwc7@hotmail.com 03-03-2020 05:20 PM

Inside Walled Back-Yard

Are there any restrictions, or do I need permission to do something like install a small storage shed in my back-yard if I am in a Villa, with walls completely enclosing my back-yard? How about something like a potting bench or a small raised-bed garden?

Thanks for any input.

njbchbum 03-03-2020 05:27 PM

Check your Deed Restrictions to be safe and sure! Village Community Development Districts

retiredguy123 03-03-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwc7@hotmail.com (Post 1723865)
Are there any restrictions, or do I need permission to do something like install a small storage shed in my back-yard if I am in a Villa, with walls completely enclosing my back-yard? How about something like a potting bench or a small raised-bed garden?

Thanks for any input.

I would just do it, as long as you are prepared to remove it if there is a complaint.

John_W 03-03-2020 06:43 PM

I've have one of those sheds, or storage boxes, that are by Rubbermaid and it's plastic, but heavy duty. It has a lid that opens up on the top. It's about 6' long and about 3' high, bought it at Sam's for $99 about five years ago. I put it on the side between my house and my neighbors, it is almost impossible to see, in fact you would to stand on a ladder in my neighbor's driveway. Anyway, it's holds the weed-eater, blower, hand tools, all the smaller things that you need to trim the backyard. Makes it nice to not have to walk around to the garage. Looks just like this.

https://contentgrid.homedepot-static...s-hero-mob.jpg

Marathon Man 03-04-2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks for any input.

Absolutely check your deed restrictions. Sheds are not permitted in most districts. Even if they are hidden behind a wall. The Smaller items will be ok, but you will need ARC approval if you place a structure to hold the raised bed.

John_W 03-04-2020 09:02 AM

If it's something that is raised, all you need to do is get ARC approval. We have a couple of neighbors that have trellises in their backyard. When I sent a request to ARC to change my house color I received a reply in 2 weeks. Most requests are approved, I only know one neighbor who requested a large birdcage. He was approved but told to move in one corner inward 5' from the sidewall.

https://images.marketleader.com/Hous...5023162_49.jpg

bowlingal 03-05-2020 06:25 AM

you must keep a shed ( or anything else tall) below the top of the fence. Other than that, pretty much anything goes in a walled area.

Marathon Man 03-05-2020 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingal (Post 1724270)
you must keep a shed ( or anything else tall) below the top of the fence. Other than that, pretty much anything goes in a walled area.

Not sure where you read that. Can you provide a link?

MandoMan 03-05-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1723878)
I've have one of those sheds, or storage boxes, that are by Rubbermaid and it's plastic, but heavy duty. It has a lid that opens up on the top. It's about 6' long and about 3' high, bought it at Sam's for $99 about five years ago. I put it on the side between my house and my neighbors, it is almost impossible to see, in fact you would to stand on a ladder in my neighbor's driveway. Anyway, it's holds the weed-eater, blower, hand tools, all the smaller things that you need to trim the backyard. Makes it nice to not have to walk around to the garage. Looks just like this.

https://contentgrid.homedepot-static...s-hero-mob.jpg

I think this is a chest or storage box, not a shed. It can be easily lifted and moved around.

OhioBuckeye 03-05-2020 10:53 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Thanks for any input.

Just as long as it’s not higher than the wall.

Mohawksin 03-05-2020 01:18 PM

Check with your district. There are three counties and thirteen districts. We have found them really helpful and volunteering good information on what we CAN do.

CWGUY 03-05-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingal (Post 1724270)

:ohdear:

John_W 03-05-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

I've have one of those sheds, or storage boxes, that are by Rubbermaid and it's plastic,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choro&Swing (Post 1724286)
I think this is a chest or storage box, not a shed. It can be easily lifted and moved around.

That's why I included a photo, but thanks for letting us know.

dwhite5773 03-05-2020 09:55 PM

Might want to check your deed restrictions. I would say not, but it’s inside the fence so what happens inside the fence, stays inside the fence! Just had a fire in Desoto last week, probably about destroyed a villa. The fire rose from (a shed?) up into the eaves of the home setting the entire attic on fire, flames visible upon FD arrival! Just saying!

John_W 03-06-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwhite5773 (Post 1724607)
Might want to check your deed restrictions. I would say not, but it’s inside the fence so what happens inside the fence, stays inside the fence! Just had a fire in Desoto last week, probably about destroyed a villa. The fire rose from (a shed?) up into the eaves of the home setting the entire attic on fire, flames visible upon FD arrival! Just saying!

One has to consider, if the equipment in the (shed?) caused the fire, then where would that equipment needed to been stored without the shed. In the garage, fire now in the house in the garage area next to a car, probably next to gas cans, lawn mowers, maybe a gas hot water heater, a car. There was a million dollar house in Pinellas struck by lightning five years ago. I could see the smoke from my house 2 miles north. They had a 5 car garage with something in every bay, a boat, an ATV, a golf cart and a couple of cars, all with gas tanks.

I once rented a house that had a brand new garage, I asked what happened. The kid cutting the grass sat the gas can down in the garage and didn't put the lid back on. The flumes went across the floor to the pilot light on the water heater. Garage exploded killing one person in the kitchen.