Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Political Parties (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/political-parties-303471/)

largokid 03-04-2020 04:49 PM

Political Parties

We live in the Hillsborough area and this afternoon a person (Don) with Republican Party affiliations rang our doorbell to speak with the registered voters in the house. I am absolutely furious that someone with political affiliations would have the audacity to be going house to house to (I assume) collect votes for the Republican party. I don't care WHAT party is out there they shouldn't be coming to our home! We see enough of the ridiculous political fighting in The Villages in the paper, The Villages.com, etc. so we don't need more politics on my doorstep. My husband told the gentleman he wasn't allowed to "solicit" in The Villages but the guy replied he wasn't soliciting that "it was a political speech". GRRRR -- thankfully I wasn't home! I will get lots of flack about this posting but if it keeps the political party solicitors off my doorstep I'm happy!

PS: The Villages Office was particularly unhelpful in providing any method for stopping political peddlers.

vintageogauge 03-04-2020 04:56 PM

Boots on the ground, it's an election year.

ColdNoMore 03-04-2020 05:09 PM

Methinks this thread won't last long. :D

Until then OP...I totally agree with you. :thumbup:

Go stand on the street corner all you want folks...just stay off of my property. :mad:

Nucky 03-04-2020 05:10 PM

I don't think these people would be welcomed at many homes in The Villages. People in our age bracket aren't likely to change their mind about anything especially politics. Imagine what some people must go through just to answer the doorbell or the knock on the door.

I wouldn't knock on anybody's door in Florida for NOTHING! :boom:

Taltarzac725 03-04-2020 05:28 PM

I'd rather talk to a Mormon missionary than some political camp follower.

dewilson58 03-04-2020 06:01 PM

Non-solicitation in TV can not be enforced.

:popcorn:

billethkid 03-04-2020 06:15 PM

We do not engage solicitors at the door and that goes for political promoting.....ESPECIALLY POLITICAL PROMOTING!

rockandroller 03-04-2020 06:16 PM

" I will get lots of flack about this posting but if it keeps the political party solicitors off my doorstep I'm happy!"

You won't get flack from me as I am 100% in agreement with ya.

NotGolfer 03-04-2020 06:56 PM

We don't like any type of solicitation (political, religious, business etc) at our house. IF we're interested, we'll find what we support-want or need on our own. Remember back in the day when Fuller Brush, Encyclopedias, vacuum cleaner salesmen (now I'm dating myself) would come door to door. Mostly these happened when I was a little kid and my mom would take me and hide and not answer the door. I'm pretty good with telling anyone "no, thank you!!"

JoMar 03-04-2020 07:05 PM

Anti solicitation is a function of government and there is no ordinance on a County level that prohibits solicitations. If you are part of Fruitland Park or Wildwood you would need to check with their ordinances but doubtful they have any that would prevent it. The Villages doesn't.

retiredguy123 03-04-2020 07:10 PM

The Villages has "no soliciting" signs at some of the entry gates, but it is really not legal to enforce the rule, because most of the roads are owned by the County. If you want to prevent solicitors from ringing your doorbell, the best way is to put a no soliciting sign on your front door.

Villageswimmer 03-04-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1724188)

“non-solicitation” in TV is a myth. Call the Sheriff and ask.

VApeople 03-04-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1724160)
I wouldn't knock on anybody's door in Florida for NOTHING!

That is the wisest comment ever made on this forum!!

tophcfa 03-04-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1724188)

Falls in the same category as AIRBNB’s.

Topspinmo 03-05-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1724159)
Methinks this thread won't last long. :D

Until then OP...I totally agree with you. :thumbup:

Go stand on the street corner all you want folks...just stay off of my property. :mad:

Anybody can come To you’re front door and ring the door bell especially if you have welcome mat! Now if you don’t like what they have to say, you can boot them. But no law against coming to front door to talk to you.