Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Fee Based Financial Advisor (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/fee-based-financial-advisor-303503/)

Davonu 03-05-2020 04:37 PM

Fee Based Financial Advisor

I don't post that often on ToTV, but I read it a lot and like all the information provided. So I thought I'd ask my own question...

I'm looking for a financial advisor, but not one who has a product to sell. I want to just pay a fee for the specific questions I have and advice I'm looking for. It might be real estate related, or related to using some money in a retirement plan for something else, and other miscellaneous things like that.

Again, not interested in talking to anybody who has a product to sell...only his or her financial advice services.

Thanks.

villagetinker 03-05-2020 07:40 PM

We use Ameriprise, while they have a office in the villages, I have continued to use my advisor back up North, I have been very pleased with his advice, especially recently. Now not sure they will be able or willing to work with you on what you want, but a phone call would not hurt.

Indy-Guy 03-05-2020 09:19 PM

Garrett Planning Network - Making competent, objective financial advice accessible

Have not used them but they are highly reccomended. They have a representative in Brooksville about 35 miles away.

Recommended by Clark Howard.

Clark’s Take: These Investment Companies Offer You the Best Bang for Your Buck - Clark Howard

retiredguy123 03-06-2020 06:21 AM

Vanguard Investments has certified financial planners who will provide free advice on the phone by appointment. But, I think you may need to have a certain amount of assets invested with them. They are one of the best companies to invest with, and they are also recommended by Clark Howard.

l2ridehd 03-06-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1724637)
Vanguard Investments has certified financial planners who will provide free advice on the phone by appointment. But, I think you may need to have a certain amount of assets invested with them. They are one of the best companies to invest with, and they are also recommended by Clark Howard.

Go to bogleheads.org and ask your questions. Sift through the answers, but you will get very sound advice.

petsetc 03-06-2020 07:35 AM

Free on line including 3 free ebooks - Paul Merriman | Sound Investing for Every Stage of Life

Steve-Ryzel 03-06-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petsetc (Post 1724674)
Free on line including 3 free ebooks - Paul Merriman | Sound Investing for Every Stage of Life

I've been listening to the Paul Merriman podcasts for years. His website is also chalked full of very helpful information as well as his free ebooks.

pqrstar 03-06-2020 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=Davonu;1724521...I'm looking for a financial advisor, but not one who has a product to sell.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Lake Advisory Group
Financial planner in Lady Lake, Florida
108 S Old Dixie Hwy, Lady Lake, FL 32159
Phone: (352) 350-2008

Drdoug49 03-07-2020 06:41 AM

Fidelity has an office at Sumter landing, you could stop in.

Marykess1802 03-07-2020 08:33 AM

George Mathis at Raymond James in Brownwood. One of the best. He listens.

Bob45 03-07-2020 08:44 AM

There are investment clubs here. Maybe one of those would work.
Bob

sandybeachgal 03-07-2020 09:34 AM

Fee Based vs Fee Only

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davonu (Post 1724521)
I don't post that often on ToTV, but I read it a lot and like all the information provided. So I thought I'd ask my own question...

I'm looking for a financial advisor, but not one who has a product to sell. I want to just pay a fee for the specific questions I have and advice I'm looking for. It might be real estate related, or related to using some money in a retirement plan for something else, and other miscellaneous things like that.

Again, not interested in talking to anybody who has a product to sell...only his or her financial advice services.

Thanks.

What you are describing is NOT FEE BASED. You are describing FEE ONLY. Fee Based still involves selling financial products and involves commissions. Fee Only advisors do not sell/push products. They typically charge an annual fee (maybe charged in quarters), based on your assets, or possibly an hourly rate in addition to or in place of, an annual fee. Make sure you understand the difference before you shop around for a financial advisor. There are lots of informative websites which detail the differences between Fee Based and Fee Only. There are independent advisors, and then there are those who work for larger firms. There are not many large firms near the Villages, however, we have found that those located in Orlando (and even Gainesville) will drive to the Villages for appointments with clients. You will have to decide with whom you feel most comfortable -- an independent advisor, or one of the larger firms. Both have their pros and cons, of course. Search online for FEE ONLY FINANCIAL ADVISORS for additional resources.

theroar 03-07-2020 09:40 AM

theroar

You can find a listing for CFP's online. You really need to meet with several and discuss your needs and fees. Be sure they are "fee only" and not selling investment products. I interviewed three and have been with the same advisor for ten yrs. Mine is a CPA as well which works well for tax purposes. Good luck.

prntxpresn 03-07-2020 11:07 AM

Paul (paul.d.zirakian@raymondjames.com) - Raymond James in Brownwood. Creates portfolio based on what you tell him at only 1%. & also recommends. Friendly, caring & good looking.

ColdNoMore 03-07-2020 11:41 AM

In this day and age where so much financial data is at one's fingertips, I can't imagine ever having someone else...manage MY money.

If I did though, the first question to the person would be; "Please show me proof of your own...personal net worth."
:popcorn: