Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Bobcat visited the Duck nest (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/bobcat-visited-duck-nest-303580/)

birdiebill 03-07-2020 05:45 PM

Bobcat visited the Duck nest

We live in The Village of Osceola Hills near the junction of Deskin Lane and Zephyrhills Road. We have had a duck nest under our Robilini Palm and Lantana plants in the landscaping behind our lanai. We noticed the nest on Tuesday. A momma duck was sitting on the desk and was scared out when the lawn mower went by. We saw the nest and there were at least 8 eggs in the nest. We minimized our activities so the momma could continue to sit on the nest. We hoped to see the little ducklings when they hatched.

Well, this morning my wife noticed a large cat sitting under the Robilini Palm. We opened the slider to the lanai and the cat took off. It had a short tail, was the largest cat we had ever seen. Its color pattern was that of a bobcat. Momma duck was nowhere to be seen. No sign of its remains, so maybe it got away. Most of the eggs in the nest had been broken.

This afternoon we noticed the cat had returned. This time we got a good look at it as we scared it away. It was definitely a bobcat. Beware of your small pets. Mother Nature can be cruel at times.

Chi-Town 03-07-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdiebill (Post 1725210)
We live in The Village of Osceola Hills near the junction of Deskin Lane and Zephyrhills Road. We have had a duck nest under our Robilini Palm and Lantana plants in the landscaping behind our lanai. We noticed the nest on Tuesday. A momma duck was sitting on the desk and was scared out when the lawn mower went by. We saw the nest and there were at least 8 eggs in the nest. We minimized our activities so the momma could continue to sit on the nest. We hoped to see the little ducklings when they hatched.

Well, this morning my wife noticed a large cat sitting under the Robilini Palm. We opened the slider to the lanai and the cat took off. It had a short tail, was the largest cat we had ever seen. Its color pattern was that of a bobcat. Momma duck was nowhere to be seen. No sign of its remains, so maybe it got away. Most of the eggs in the nest had been broken.

This afternoon we noticed the cat had returned. This time we got a good look at it as we scared it away. It was definitely a bobcat. Beware of your small pets. Mother Nature can be cruel at times.

A classic predator and prey tale. A nature event (unlike the duck getting blown out of the sky during hunting season). But I guess both are needed to keep a population in balance.

karostay 03-08-2020 08:31 AM

Just my thoughts one Bob Cat disrupts life cycle of nesting duck instant villages news I would be upset also
Developer disrupts a whole Symbiotic Eco system gets kudos

tophcfa 03-08-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1725309)
Just my thoughts one Bob Cat disrupts life cycle of nesting duck instant villages news I would be upset also
Developer disrupts a whole Symbiotic Eco system gets kudos

True, but remember that the Bobcat does not create your home and lifestyle opportunity’s, developer does.

karostay 03-08-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1725323)
True, but remember that the Bobcat does not create your home and lifestyle opportunity’s, developer does.

Mother nature pays the toll for our pleasures

Goldwingnut 03-08-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1725417)

You didn't seem to mind when you purchased your home.

stadry 03-09-2020 07:20 AM

having trouble balancing man - vs duck - vs bobcat,,, personally we prefer kubota over bobcat but can unders,,, wait - you mean the 4legg'd bobcat or the bobcat on tracks ? lemme re-read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, think i got it now - bobcat had duck for lunch,,, smart choice - low in calories, high in protein

karostay 03-09-2020 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldwingnut (Post 1725496)
You didn't seem to mind when you purchased your home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1725417)

100% guilty no doubt my actions have contributed to demise of Eco system

Mmarr 03-09-2020 07:33 AM

Circle of life.

sloanst 03-09-2020 08:29 AM

There are bobcats in that area. I have seen two bobcats on Belle Glade over the past 4 years. One large male and one small yearling. There are lots of rodents and birds in the area that serves as their food source. Nature can be cruel, but that is the nature of nature.

karostay 03-09-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloanst (Post 1725587)
There are bobcats in that area. I have seen two bobcats on Belle Glade over the past 4 years. One large male and one small yearling. There are lots of rodents and birds in the area that serves as their food source. Nature can be cruel, but that is the nature of nature.

Not to mention Cougars at the Squares Katie Bells and City Fire :1rotfl::1rotfl:

wamley 03-10-2020 07:31 AM

We are part of nature too.