Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Gov steps in to secure TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/gov-steps-secure-tv-303781/)

jimbo2012 03-13-2020 12:22 PM

Gov Ron DeSantis steps in to secure TV for Corona

JUST IN: On recommendation of Gov. Ron DeSantis and government health officials, today’s St. Patrick’s Day Festival at Lake Sumter Landing is canceled. In addition, all nightly entertainment on the Town Squares is cancelled indefinitely. Also, the Old Mill Playhouse and the Barnstorm Theatre will cease operation at the close of business today.

The real ? IMO why didn't TV do it on their own?:ohdear:

alwann 03-13-2020 12:41 PM

Virus

A lot of businesses that pay rent in The Villages will be hit hard. I wonder if the owner has any thoughts about giving them some leeway. I'd hate to see any of them go belly up because of this confusing mess.

dewilson58 03-13-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo2012 (Post 1727167)

They did.

jimbo2012 03-13-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1727180)
A lot of businesses that pay rent in The Villages will be hit hard. I wonder if the owner has any thoughts about giving them some leeway. I'd hate to see any of them go belly up because of this confusing mess.

SBA will give gap loans

So will local banks

EdFNJ 03-13-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

JUST IN: On recommendation of Gov. Ron DeSantis and government health officials, today’s St. Patrick’s Day Festival at Lake Sumter Landing is canceled. In addition, all nightly entertainment on the Town Squares is cancelled indefinitely. Also, the Old Mill Playhouse and the Barnstorm Theatre will cease operation at the close of business today.

That's exactly what I have been saying since this all started especially after the last couple days. While I am not a supporter I give him a big thumbs up for taking that very smart step. Despite all the nay-sayers it was the right thing to do.

CoachKandSportsguy 03-13-2020 01:06 PM

Many organizations fear nuisance lawsuits if not backed up by a government recommendation. The court system in the US has no nuisance filter, which is why nothing happens until everything happens.

YMMV

EdFNJ 03-13-2020 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1727186)
They did.

Probably because they were told to. As of 10AM this morning they hadn't according to the guys at the gates blocking the entry to the square. Something obviously "prompted" them. At 10AM the food trucks were preparing their food so they had no idea at least at that time.

jimbo2012 03-13-2020 01:10 PM

Just a guess, someone called his office to apprise him of the risks in TV gatherings

Chatbrat 03-13-2020 01:31 PM

MVP should suspend all operations

xkeowner 03-13-2020 01:52 PM

As of 7:20 am today, according to the Florida Department of Health website, there are 45 total cases in Florida and ZERO in Lake, Marion or Sumter counties. An overabundance of caution?

CWGUY 03-13-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1727196)
Probably because they were told to. As of 10AM this morning they hadn't according to the guys at the gates blocking the entry to the square. Something obviously "prompted" them. At 10AM the food trucks were preparing their food so they had no idea at least at that time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1727193)
That's exactly what I have been saying since this all started especially after the last couple days. While I am not a supporter I give him a big thumbs up for taking that very smart step. Despite all the nay-sayers it was the right thing to do.

:ohdear: Must be where the expression "Damn if you do and damn if you don't." comes from. Why can't you just be happy they are closed..... maybe not on in the time frame you would have liked..... but closed. How many people run your business? 140,000? :popcorn:

Chatbrat 03-13-2020 01:57 PM

Tag you lose if you get the virus & tag you die if you're over 75

NotGolfer 03-13-2020 02:23 PM

I posted this on another thread....might bear reading it here as well. A friend shared this with me this a.m. My take is...this is a new virus, I get that. BUT what did everyone do with the flu outbreaks where LOTS more people died etc? You can't live with "what if's".....

I want everyone to take a big, deep, calming breath.

I’d like to give you all a true glimpse into American healthcare and how it works, for it seems that much of the population is a bit out of touch.

Firstly, It is shocking to me how many people are concerned with their health all of a sudden. While you’re freaking out about somebody infecting you with this horrible virus, maybe put your cigarettes away, or take your medication, or eat a vegetable for once.

Shocker: It is not standard procedure to test for COVID-19. There are a number of boxes that must be ticked first, before any healthcare professional in the state of Indiana will even consider it.

If you come into the ER, urgent care, or see your regular doctor and your symptoms are mild, you are going to be going home with instructions to rest, hydrate, and treat your symptoms with over the counter medication. We may test for the flu, because it is simple, cost-effective, and yields a result (we can offer you Tamiflu). There is not a simple, cost-effective test for COVID-19. There is also very little we can do with the information, if we get it. Knowing that one is positive for this novel coronavirus may help guide treatment in some ways (isolation, shared practice knowledge), but the test itself will mean next to nothing. We treat each patient differently, based on the symptoms or distress that each patient is experiencing.

Symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Unless you are in respiratory distress, don’t even try to go to an ER. You will be sent home after waiting miserably for hours, with a big bill for your trouble. This is one of the reasons healthcare professionals can’t stand panic and hysteria-it fills our offices and emergency departments with people who should be at home resting, instead.

Per the CDC, this virus is primarily spread by people who are symptomatic. In the majority of cases, you will not spread anything to anyone else unless you are ill yourself.
Actionable things:
-Take care of yourself: eat well, stay hydrated, take your medications/vitamins, and stop freaking out (it weakens your immune system)
-Wash your hands often and don’t share things or touch your face.
-Stay home if you are unwell. (Apparently, an abundance of TP helps with this 😂)
-Keep up with the Lysol and the Clorox (and read the labels, you’d be shocked how much time it takes to properly sanitize something!)

I am an immunocompromised ICU nurse. I am not worried or afraid. These things are all second nature to me. We have to help each other out a bit, here. Quit whining about restrictions, quit panicking to no end, and just keep doing what needs to be done. Think about others for a change, too. This whole major freak-out that’s happening across the world right now? Welcome to the daily life of a family with a special needs child, or a cancer patient, or an elderly person, etc. Have some compassion and just take a deep breath.

And for goodness’ sake, if they develop a vaccination for this, remember how you feel right now and GET IT!

jimbo2012 03-13-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkeowner (Post 1727211)
As of 7:20 am today, according to the Florida Department of Health website, there are 45 total cases in Florida and ZERO in Lake, Marion or Sumter counties. An overabundance of caution?

Ask the folks in Milan Italy if they think it would have been prudent to be cautious

B767drvr 03-13-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkeowner (Post 1727211)

An absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.