Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Entertainment on Squares cancelled indefinitely. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/entertainment-squares-cancelled-indefinitely-303785/)

Taltarzac725 03-13-2020 12:46 PM

Entertainment on Squares cancelled indefinitely.

Quote:

JUST IN: On recommendation of Gov. Ron DeSantis and government health officials, today’s St. Patrick’s Day Festival at Lake Sumter Landing is canceled. In addition, all nightly entertainment on the Town Squares is canceled indefinitely. Also, the Old Mill Playhouse and the Barnstorm Theatre will cease operation at the close of business today (March 13). Matches at The Villages Polo Club are also canceled until further notice.
This is from The Villages Daily Sun Facebook page.

Joe V. 03-13-2020 02:46 PM

So with all TV closings indefinitely I trust amenity fees payments will be suspended too. /s

JSR22 03-13-2020 02:59 PM

The Squares do not receive money from our amenity fee. The bands are paid by the merchants and Sumter County Tourism Tax.

Silver Streak 03-13-2020 03:17 PM

And yet there's not a WORD about the squares being closed at districtgov.org. They've been hours, even days behind with their updates. Isn't that supposed to be where all the OFFICIAL stuff is posted? They do say they plan to keep the Rec centers open...which seems riskier than keeping the squares (outdoors) open.

Love2Swim 03-13-2020 03:27 PM

No kidding. Keep the rec centers open that have hundreds of people playing cards, games, dancing , exercise classes, and other activities with close contact, yet cancel the entertainment on the squares. How stupid and shortsighted. They should close all rec centers down indefinitely.

billethkid 03-13-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love2Swim (Post 1727251)
No kidding. Keep the rec centers open that have hundreds of people playing cards, games, dancing , exercise classes, and other activities with close contact, yet cancel the entertainment on the squares. How stupid and shortsighted. They should close all rec centers down indefinitely.

Coming soon.

EviesGP 03-13-2020 04:51 PM

I’m guessing they’re going to cancel all the group events that they sponsor or coordinate, but allow individual events to continue with advertised suggested precautions? So far, anyway. People are going to go stir crazy?!

billethkid 03-13-2020 05:18 PM

A very, VERY small price to pay!

Velvet 03-13-2020 08:34 PM

I was wondering what that \s meant. Didn’t realize that it meant sarcasm. Just thought it was an auto correct.

You might not, but I’ve read posters who might actually think what you wrote.

tophcfa 03-13-2020 08:40 PM

These are crazy times indeed. Never seen anything like it in my very long lifetime. Let us not criticize, but rather understand that we are in uncharted waters and things need to get figured out as events unfold. We are all learning new things and adopting. Calm heads will prevail and everything will get back to normal all in good time.

Chi-Town 03-13-2020 09:15 PM

Tha bars at LSL were partying tonight. Not quite the St Patrick's Day that was expected but a lot of wearing of the green. Anxious to see what SS is like on the 17th.

karostay 03-14-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1727236)
So with all TV closings indefinitely I trust amenity fees payments will be suspended too. /s

:clap2::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::clap2:

newgirl 03-14-2020 07:29 AM

This is insane ! Canceling outdoor activities so everyone can go shopping and buy massive amounts of toilet paper. Whoever thought outside was a dangerous place to be needs to be educated. More will die from sitting at home panicking.

Marykess1802 03-14-2020 07:44 AM

Stir crazy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EviesGP (Post 1727306)
I’m guessing they’re going to cancel all the group events that they sponsor or coordinate, but allow individual events to continue with advertised suggested precautions? So far, anyway. People are going to go stir crazy?!

There’s always TV’s unofficial hobby...drinking. A run on vodka? Oh, nooooo.

traveler9 03-14-2020 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1727236)

Snarky